Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog poo on Limerick streets..

• 28-05-2015 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I'll start with the good stuff first.

I love visiting Limerick city, it gets very unfair press re. 'stab city' and other rubbish.. In comparison to Dublin you've very few addicts and dealing on the cities streets (I've never seen dealers plying their trade openly like we have here in Dublin).

You've the best criac in the pubs.. Total strangers on the streets are very friendly. I could go on and on.

But!.. By Jesus I've never seen anywhere with so much dog poo on the cities pavements, its like the place has been bombarded with dog poo!.

Wtf is up with that?, I'm guessing no enforcement or awareness of the problem.

Other than that I'd another lovely visit to your city and can't wait for the next.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Article on this very subject in the leader (or was it the post) last week.

TWO cases of dog fouling fines issued last year. Neither paid. Neither prosecuted.

If you've nothing to fear... Why bother picking it up.

We own two large dogs. Walked twice. EVERY day. The amount of 'supposed' dog laws broken each and every day maddens me.

Until the punishments fit the crimes... Nothing will improve.

If a company had no clock in, clock out system - and the boss was always an hour late to work... How often would staff be a few mins late in (after nine)?

That's the Ireland we live in. If I'm not gonna be punished - I'm not gonna be bothered.

Glad you like the city so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hooked wrote: »
    Glad you like the city so much!

Yes I really do, except for the dog poo lol.

Its a pity there's not more awareness of the problem, and more punishment too. In Dublin there's plenty of signage asking people to clean up after their dogs and in some areas there are bins provided too.

I know to some people here it may seem silly and petty, but to a visitor not used to it the problem is very noticable.

Other than that I love your city. The pubs are Munster Rugby MAD, I think I'll have to buy a Munster top for my visits and leave my Leinster tops in Dublin ~ purely on health and safety grounds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

If only there was a dog park where people could walk their dogs and keep the majority of the fouling to a confined area where they would be more likely to clean up after themselves due to peer pressure :D

Mr.H wrote: »
    If only there was a dog park where people could walk their dogs and keep the majority of the fouling to a confined area where they would be more likely to clean up after themselves due to peer pressure :D

What about people who wish to walk their dogs to the dog park?.

You don't need dog parks, just common decency and consideration for others using the pavement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Where did you see all the poop? I've found it vastly improved in recent years. Certainly in the city centre you would not see it now. Might have something to do with there being no packs of stray dogs roaming the streets any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Where did you see all the poop? I've found it vastly improved in recent years. Certainly in the city centre you would not see it now. Might have something to do with there being no packs of stray dogs roaming the streets any more.

It's still around, I walk my dog in the city every day and you do still see it on the city streets. Not as prevalent as it used to be though. Annoys me no end to see it, how lazy do you have to be not to carry a small plastic bag in your pocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Many people are lazy and filthy - simple as!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I live in Annacotty/Casteltroy, its effing disgusting, I go running, from my estate up around Newton area, up the road to cross near Monalean school, then down by MacDonalds, then out the Dublin road....dog filth covering every step of the footpath the whole 5km loop.

Absolutely disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Mulgrave street was a poo mine field not too long ago. Hope it's better now but I doubt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I've been tempted for a while to get some nice latex gloves and go on the prowl for any people walking dogs that let them sh!t on the street without cleaning it up. My plan is, once they start walking off, run over and grab as much of the sh!t as I can and catch up with the owner and fling it right at their face, full force and then rub the gloves all over the dog so they also have to pay to have the dog be thoroughly cleaned.

I'm just stuck on what it is I should then say to get the point across and teach them a lesson before I jog off into the sunset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I've been tempted for a while to get some nice latex gloves and go on the prowl for any people walking dogs that let them sh!t on the street without cleaning it up. My plan is, once they start walking off, run over and grab as much of the sh!t as I can and catch up with the owner and fling it right at their face, full force and then rub the gloves all over the dog so they also have to pay to have the dog be thoroughly cleaned.

I'm just stuck on what it is I should then say to get the point across and teach them a lesson before I jog off into the sunset.

It may be a little too subtle for the type of ignorance you're dealing with. Worth a shot. Bonus points if you wear a Mr Hankey costume.

As I'm not a Limerick native I'm not entirely sure where the boundaries of the city centre are. But I'd say just about every street is littered with dog poo.

Some I noticed are worse than others, Edward St is very bad as is Dock Road. And whats the quay from The Shannon bridge towards Arthurs Quay and all along the waterfront ~ particularly bad.

I'm not trying to take a shot at Limerick, as I said I love the city. But my God it has a dog poo problem which is a blight on the place.

That aside I'm looking forward to my next visit in a few weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

As I'm not a Limerick native I'm not entirely sure where the boundaries of the city centre are. But I'd say just about every street is littered with dog poo.

Some I noticed are worse than others, Edward St is very bad as is Dock Road. And whats the quay from The Shannon bridge towards Arthurs Quay and all along the waterfront ~ particularly bad.

I'm not trying to take a shot at Limerick, as I said I love the city. But my God it has a dog poo problem which is a blight on the place.

That aside I'm looking forward to my next visit in a few weeks :D
    Maybe I have lived here so long I unconsciously avoid it without realising. When my Dad stayed here last he stepped in poop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I sent an email to the council before about the lack of bins in and around Raheen/Dooradoyle. It would be great to actually dump rubbish in a bin instead of having someone go around picking it up
    I would like to request that more bins for refuse be placed in the residential area's of Raheen & Dooradoyle. It is very frustrating when there are signs for scoop the poop with no amenity to dump the poop once scooped.

On a recent trip to Dingle in Co. Kerry, the local council had located at a spot which i hope would be beneficial to try in our local community if larger bins would be unachievable to be located in the community. As you can see it doesnt take up much space and contains a compartment for the dispensing of paper bags for cleaning up dog poop, with another compartment in the bottom for collection of dog poop
    IMG_20141001_102348_zpswxagldxa.jpg
    Also see below is a dog waste bag dispenser that dispenses plastic bags and is available from Belloo - http://www.belloo.com/en/home/home_belloo.html
    IMG_20141001_102922_zpsokmdfybq.jpg
    They have a range of different dog waste bins on their website which one would hope encourage pet users in the community to clean up after their dog and deposit it in one of the bins, so that they dont have to carry it for the whole walk or until they find the nearest bin (on my route only two bins - one supplied by Ryans shop on Mulcair road & by the Centra opposite Collins pub).

and I all I got was this reply and after 7 months later, no bins!
    Dear Mr Mc Love,

Thanks for your email. Your request for additional refuse bins is noted and will be considered.

However, please note that responsibility for dog littering rests with dog owners. When walking their dog, owners should carry bags and pick up after their dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think the real problem is with dogs coming downtown unaccompanied by their owners. So many dogs in the estates close to the city centre are just left to wander at will. There isn't an owner with them to pick up after them, even if they were inclined to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

boomerang wrote: »
    I think the real problem is with dogs coming downtown unaccompanied by their owners. So many dogs in the estates close to the city centre are just left to wander at will. There isn't an owner with them to pick up after them, even if they were inclined to.

And here's my issue. No owner? Dogs unattended... Warden & remove dog(s).

This country is too soft on dog related issues. Even the likes of Limerick Animal Welfare are stretched to the limit. Why? Because so many of the dogs they find/are given/ rescue have no tags AND no chip.

We need a zero tolerance attitude to dog owners. No licence. FINE ON THE SPOT. Dog fouling. DITTO. No chip/collar/tags. COUGH UP!!!

And everyone walking a dog should have a stash of poop bags.

So much of what's wrong with dog fouling and other doggie issues is simply down to lack of/almost no enforcement.

Who's arsed about the consequences - when no one polices this stuff.

And for the record... I own two dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The City Council was so cash strapped a few years ago that they refused to clean the streets of dog ****e. There were particularly badly affected areas where people regularly walk their dogs (Clancy Strand and O'Callaghan Strand, for example) that they point black refused to do anything about.

The view of the person in charge (director of services for environment) was that there should be an awareness campaign and people needed to be educated to clean up after their dogs. They went ahead about put those unsightly stickers on the bins around the city.

This, of course, was a cop out. As much as education about dog littering is important, it's still necessary to have some kind of cleaning regime. The Japanese tourist who I saw stepping in dog ****e as he was walking along the boardwalk on Clancy Strand certainly didn't appreciate the education efforts of the council anyway. He's hardly going to leave the city with a good impression, and all because the City Council don't see it as a priority to clean the streets once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yeah we wouldn't need enforcement on things like litter and dog fouling if everyone or almost everyone was willing to inconvenience themselves in a tiny way for the greater good.

Unfortunately that's not the case.

Some people are appalled at the public shaming aspect of community service, but do people who litter or leave dog dirt after them feel shame? Only one way to find out - litterbugs report on Monday for your day of cleaning litter. Irresponsible dog owners report Tuesday for your day of scooping.
    Orange jumpsuits and chains might be a step too far, how about a "community service pooper scooper" hi vis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

A major, major problem is lack of bins in places where people walk their dogs. I walk my dogs for 90 minutes each day and along the whole stretch of that walk there isn't a single bin. And this is along a very common area for all sorts of walkers, including a huge amount of dog walkers, who drive to this area to walk their dogs. I don't think my dogs are especially unusual in that they tend to poo very early on their walks, so having to walk for well over an hour with 3/4 heavy bags of poo is actually pretty disgusting. It's not so bad for me at the moment as I also have a buggy with me, so the bags of poo go in it's under basket. (Which then gets a scrub out when we get home, as it's also where I carry groceries when shopping.) But I'm very apprehensive about what I'll do next year when my son is too old for the the buggy as walking two dogs in one hand and a small child's hand in the other will make it very difficult to manage the poo. I've actually started trying to get the dogs to go out in the garden so I can just fling their poo in the septic tank before we leave the house. (Which as actually a lot more environmentally friendly than bagging it up and sending it to landfill where it can't photodegrade which, longterm, is much worse for our water table than leaving it to degrade naturally.)

I was initially a dog owner in the UK and the difference there is amazing. There are bins everywhere there, our local park was only 8 acres large but had 7 dog poo bins, nearly 3 times as many regular bins and 2 dispensers filled with heavy duty poo bags. And that was the standard in most parks and walking spots across the areas I lived in. And what did we get here when there was a big push about cleaning up do poo? A sensor on a nearby footpath where a robotic voice would be activated whenever anyone walked by telling them to put their dog poo in 'any bin, any where' despite there being no bins anywhere even remotely nearby. It was such a disgraceful waste of money instead of doing something practical like putting in a few bins on popular routes where dogs are walked and then emptying them regularly.

It's all very well castigating people for leaving dog poo all over the place (and believe me I do) but if the council won't actually make cleaning up after your dog easier and make it into the easy, matter of fact chore it is elsewhere then it's not surprising so few people do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

A group of small children saw me picking up after my dog. They exclaimed "He's picking up poo!" and laugh at this outrageous and bizarre concept... This was on a big grass area in a housing estate where they play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

iguana wrote: »
    A major, major problem is lack of bins in places where people walk their dogs. I walk my dogs for 90 minutes each day and along the whole stretch of that walk there isn't a single bin. And this is along a very common area for all sorts of walkers, including a huge amount of dog walkers, who drive to this area to walk their dogs. I don't think my dogs are especially unusual in that they tend to poo very early on their walks, so having to walk for well over an hour with 3/4 heavy bags of poo is actually pretty disgusting. It's not so bad for me at the moment as I also have a buggy with me, so the bags of poo go in it's under basket. (Which then gets a scrub out when we get home, as it's also where I carry groceries when shopping.) But I'm very apprehensive about what I'll do next year when my son is too old for the the buggy as walking two dogs in one hand and a small child's hand in the other will make it very difficult to manage the poo. I've actually started trying to get the dogs to go out in the garden so I can just fling their poo in the septic tank before we leave the house. (Which as actually a lot more environmentally friendly than bagging it up and sending it to landfill where it can't photodegrade which, longterm, is much worse for our water table than leaving it to degrade naturally.)

I was initially a dog owner in the UK and the difference there is amazing. There are bins everywhere there, our local park was only 8 acres large but had 7 dog poo bins, nearly 3 times as many regular bins and 2 dispensers filled with heavy duty poo bags. And that was the standard in most parks and walking spots across the areas I lived in. And what did we get here when there was a big push about cleaning up do poo? A sensor on a nearby footpath where a robotic voice would be activated whenever anyone walked by telling them to put their dog poo in 'any bin, any where' despite there being no bins anywhere even remotely nearby. It was such a disgraceful waste of money instead of doing something practical like putting in a few bins on popular routes where dogs are walked and then emptying them regularly.

It's all very well castigating people for leaving dog poo all over the place (and believe me I do) but if the council won't actually make cleaning up after your dog easier and make it into the easy, matter of fact chore it is elsewhere then it's not surprising so few people do it.

Don't bother contacting the council as per my previous post on this thread, the onus is on the owner to clean and dispose of the poop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote:
    Don't bother contacting the council as per my previous post on this thread, the onus is on the owner to clean and dispose of the poop

That's not true. There is an onus on the local authority to maintain a clean environment.

Advertisement