Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Gym out back?

Comments

honestly id go for some sort of squat rack, a punch bag and a power tower. you know those things for doing chin ups and dips. then a barbell and stack of weights.
    if i'd that in a good shed I'd be happy but where always available il take a gym over it. it's like your mind is conditioned to perform once you're there but those other things are great for the months you cannot train in a gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

rusty cole wrote: »
    honestly id go for some sort of squat rack, a punch bag and a power tower. you know those things for doing chin ups and dips. then a barbell and stack of weights.
    if i'd that in a good shed I'd be happy but where always available il take a gym over it. it's like your mind is conditioned to perform once you're there but those other things are great for the months you cannot train in a gym.

Thanks for the reply mate I forgot to add I'll be doing high intensity TRX 3 times a week I do it very early in the mornings before work. Their is strength and conditioning in it too.

This is just something so I can get a little bit more of a work out in when I have the chance.

My back isn't that big so I was just looking for a few things like a bench and barbell and a few dumbbells for now as I will have to put a protective cover over them as I have no shed.

you know even with a barbell alone and adding weight gradually every session, clean and press, high reps can be major taxing, say go for up to 10 sets!!! that can be really hard and work the whole body too.

maybe set a little goal over the summer. the tarp can stay off now the weathers good! no real need for it until winter.

like a twelve or 8 week program.. try finish with your heaviest lift for ten reps by late august????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

A pull up bar and bodyweight excerises would be better than a bench with that weight. Its not worth the hassle to keep outside. Get the dumbbells and some extra weights. They'll fit in your room.

mcbobbyb wrote: »
    A pull up bar and bodyweight excerises would be better than a bench with that weight. Its not worth the hassle to keep outside. Get the dumbbells and some extra weights. They'll fit in your room.

I wanted to be able to bench press that was the main thing I wanted a bench for but I agree it's a lot of hassle having to get a bench for out the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I used to work out in my bedroom but now using a public gym. I used to do dumbbell press on the ground and flys lying flat on the ground. I did the incline version of those by placing a piece of timber at an angle to my bed. Now that I'm in the gym I still don't do bench press. My chest development is as good as any other of my body parts if not the best.

Thanks for the tips I might try and find a small portable gym bench press as I have a small bit of room for it in my bedroom and with one of them I could just put it away somewhere and not have to take it apart every time.

Having no luck finding one over here though all seem to be American sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Well if your going to get one you'd might as well get one that will incline like this one

www.elverys.ie/Product/usf-adjustbl-bench/228461/0000000830

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

you know even with a barbell alone and adding weight gradually every session, clean and press, high reps can be major taxing, say go for up to 10 sets!!! that can be really hard and work the whole body too.

maybe set a little goal over the summer. the tarp can stay off now the weathers good! no real need for it until winter.

like a twelve or 8 week program.. try finish with your heaviest lift for ten reps by late august????
    Clean and press, 10 sets, for 10 reps

Hmmm, don't do that OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Looking to build a small gym out my back due to the gym being way to busy by the time I can go too it after work.

I was thinking of getting these just to start off:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1662959/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/Trail/searchtext%3EWEIGHTS.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9017362/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports%2Band%2Bleisure%7C14419152/Trail/searchtext%3EWEIGHTS.htm

Reason I'm going to put it out my back is their is no room in my house for equipment really. I have no shelter out the back I was thinking of getting a large waterproof cover to put over the equipment to stop rain from damaging it.

Is this a logical thing to do or should I just stick at going the gym?

Thanks.
    You'd outgrow those very quickly.

I think the cheap sets are not hugely useful. They aren't strong enough to support heavier weights. They don't facilitate a comprehensive training programme.

Convict conditioning is a good programme that only requires a pull up bar. Kettlebells are also versatile and can complement it. (Most people are going to prefer presses to handstand push ups for example.) Also I think you're less likely to hurt yourself with either. Reasonable enough chance of hurting yourself training alone with a barbell without much practice.

In any case bench pressing without doing complementary shoulder exercises is likely to lead to problems with your shoulders and bad posture.

Can't find a reasonable priced flat bench that can fold away. All over 100 so far and that's without weights :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Can't find a reasonable priced flat bench that can fold away. All over 100 so far and that's without weights :(

Just use dumbbells on the floor. That would be as good. Spend your money on extra weights to put on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

You drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think benching is the worst exercise you can do without corresponding back work

Advertisement