Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So this just happened

Options
  • 28-05-2015 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Out fishing tonight in the dark, Nearly drowned but uneventful other than that.
    A few trout on the fly,

One last cast

This takes my spider!!!

11231326_10153080517923409_1810158126237533834_n.jpg

Anyone ever catch a bat on the fly before??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

One of my secondary school teachers was big into fly fishing, remember him telling me he once killed a bat with a backcast one night, was a bit skeptical until now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Seen a video before of lads targeting them in caves with fly rods. Looked like food craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Catch and release?

I've had them flying around me when fishing with sedges at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

jack01986 wrote: »
    Catch and release?

I did get the hook out - he was very shook but Walked along the bridge and down the wall and disappeared underneath so I hope he survived.

Cute little guy but a bit on the angry side! Suppose you cant blame him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

A Scottish guy died from rabies contracted from a bat bite a few years ago. No one has contracted rabies in Ireland in a very long time but I'd still be very careful handling bats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It happened me about 40 years ago. I caught a swallow once as well.

Ignore that nonsense about rabies and the dangers of handling bats. Wildlife officers and others do so regularly. I did it many times as part of my job before retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I've also caught a swallow, mallard ( fishing for carp with bread and took my eye off the bread) a seagull and a swan. The swan swam over my dead bait line and took off. Was just lucky that the line untangled.

Never had a bat....
    have had a swallow, sea gull, gannet and a brent goose before. Some fight from a brent goose I can tell you. All were landed and released...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Foul hooked an otter a few year ago...now that was some scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yep, hooked a bat a couple of times while night fishing for sea trout. Awkward little buggers to handle. Nice to get a close-up look at them though.

Also hooked an otter one night but luckily only lightly hooked and hook came loose. Didn't fancy trying to land it! Another otter swam into my legs one night at speed while I was wading - don't know who got more of a fright but it scared the sh!te out of me... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fully grown grey seal now that's a scrap.
    I'm sure most of us have hooked one while mackerel fishing.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Yep, hooked a bat a couple of times while night fishing for sea trout. Awkward little buggers to handle. Nice to get a close-up look at them though.

Also hooked an otter one night but luckily only lightly hooked and hook came loose. Didn't fancy trying to land it! Another otter swam into my legs one night at speed while I was wading - don't know who got more of a fright but it scared the sh!te out of me... :D

Your lucky...one minute I was peacefully fishing the next all hell broke loose lol

Your lucky...one minute I was peacefully fishing the next all hell broke loose lol

Oh all hell broke loose with mine too! When he started swimming towards me I thought "f*** this" and pulled for a break, luckily the fly came out, he was only lightly hooked in the tail... :D

Oh all hell broke loose with mine too! When he started swimming towards me I thought "f*** this" and pulled for a break, luckily the fly came out, he was only lightly hooked in the tail... :D

I did the same and the spinner came out of the water like a rocket nearly cleaned the head off me,I honestly wouldn't know were to begin if I landed it and was trying to get the hook out.it was like a nightmare on the end of the line ah well made the day exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ALANC81

I saw two bats a seagull and a gannet being caught the seagull was the hardest to set free.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Be careful when handling bats as they carry rabies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

.red. wrote: »
    Seen a video before of lads targeting them in caves with fly rods. Looked like food craic.

We tried around a street light with a tree branch, one of the lads got one. Strange little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

I once caught an old guy that decided to stop on a high bank behind me at late dusk. I was happily fishing away, waist deep in the middle of the river throwing a nice line when he stopped and asked the usual questions.We chatted as I kept fishing, next thing I thought I was snagged and he started roaring ,dropper fly had gone straight through the top of his ear ...... ouch ..... no pliers between us to bend the barb so off to the hospital with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

when I first started fishing I wasn't very good at casting

Took my finger of the line to early one time and clobbered my mate on the side of the head with a 4oz lead 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Mate of mine fishing off bullock harbour miscast and hit a very expensive house that had an expensive red sports car in the garden! We didn't hang around for long after that!

• Advertisement

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Mate of mine fishing off bullock harbour miscast and hit a very expensive house that had an expensive red sports car in the garden! We didn't hang around for long after that!

A "mate of yours" eh? It was you, wasn't it...

THAT WAS MY FERRARI!!!!!!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But I want to know what your Ferrari was doing at my house that day. :mad:

But I want to know what your Ferrari was doing at my house that day. :mad:

Well... this is awkward! :o

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Genuinely. I still slag him whenever we pass by headin to or from killiney!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

ardinn wrote: »
    Out fishing tonight in the dark, Nearly drowned but uneventful other than that.
    A few trout on the fly,

One last cast

This takes my spider!!!

11231326_10153080517923409_1810158126237533834_n.jpg

Anyone ever catch a bat on the fly before??

Was finshing the liffey up at lucan before and they were all flying over head. Finished it up for the fear of hooking one.

thehamo wrote: »
    Was finshing the liffey up at lucan before and they were all flying over head. Finished it up for the fear of hooking one.

It's pretty rare. I've fished hundreds of times at night for sea trout and only ever caught one. Fished a river in Wales once, could hear a fluttering sound for quite a while in one pool. Eventually turned on my head torch to see what it was, and I was literally feet away from the bat's roost in a cave on the bank, there was a stream of bats flying in and out constantly past me. Never hooked one.

Advertisement