Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got any offers yet?

Options
  • 29-05-2015 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

This time last year I had an interview with DIT and got offered my place one week later, my friend had an interview a couple of weeks ago but has not heard anything yet.

Anyone get any offers yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

haven't heard anything from anyone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Got my offer for Science with Education in Maynooth about 2 weeks after the interview :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

was told id hear june 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

Sam Harts wrote: »
    This time last year I had an interview with DIT and got offered my place one week later, my friend had an interview a couple of weeks ago but has not heard anything yet.

Got my place on community and youth work in Maynooth just got to wait until July to formally accept my place from cao

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Sam Harts wrote: »

Had my interview for Digital Media & Society at GMIT on Monday last. They told me I wouldn't hear anything back until August, :eek: same time as LC - Round 1 offers, which kind of surprised me as I interviewed last year at IT Sligo and was offered a place a couple of weeks later . . . I challenged the interviewers on this, saying I understood maturies usually got offers much earlier, even in June. They then seemed to not know when the offers would be made and waffled a bit. So, needless to say I'm a bit confused! :confused:

Looks like it depends on interviewers and how clued in they are, courses and location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ashmag

I got offered a place in DIT a few weeks ago for Viscom, I didn't do an interview, just a portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 19 james2015

Got offered culinary arts in Tralee about 3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Got an acceptance letter in the mail from DCU (Computer Applications) this morning. Absolutely delighted, was convinced I had made a balls of my application after hearing about ye receiving offers weeks ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Got my acceptance into Maynooth business at the beginning of May after aptitude a month earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gillymuffins

I got my acceptance letter today for DCU (Multimedia). My interview was in mid April and was told that I'd hear within 2 weeks. I'd lost hope for a place but thankfully I have one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Sligo IT said they be letting people know the 1st week of June, so hopefully this week antone who applied will hear

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

I interviewed for Event Management in the middle of May at DIT. I heard back today from them with an offer for a level 7 course in leisure management that I've no interest in doing just put it down as back up. Still waiting to hear back regarding the event management course. This waiting game sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭suzycat

Hey,
    I just got an email from DIT to say that I was unsuccessful for the event management course. But I have two other courses that I applied for in dit so fingers crossed I get something. I did have event management as my number 1 choice but did the the change of mind and put tourism marketing as number 1. It is quite nervewrecking waiting to hear!

Hey,
    I just got an email from DIT to say that I was unsuccessful for the event management course. But I have two other courses that I applied for in dit so fingers crossed I get something. I did have event management as my number 1 choice but did the the change of mind and put tourism marketing as number 1. It is quite nervewrecking waiting to hear!

Hey,

Hey,

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Just got accepted onto event management. I've been a wreck all month waiting to hear back. I hope you hear some good news shortly regarding your other choices.

Just got accepted onto event management. I've been a wreck all month waiting to hear back. I hope you hear some good news shortly regarding your other choices.
    Well done best of luck in it

Well done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Got a letter last week from UCD saying I was accepted. Delira :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I applied for Business in UL and was told in the interview that I'd got it. That was the 11th May I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭magicman88

I got an email today saying I got my offer of baking and pastry arts management in dit.
    Had interview two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Got word today that I've got my spot on the Digital Media & Society course at GMIT that I interviewed for on May 25th, two weeks ago. But, I had to email and phone for clarification of their offers procedure. They say a letter will follow end of week. It's unofficial until the offer comes from CAO in July however.

��Good luck to all waiting for word, and good luck to all starting their new journey in Autumn.��

Got the email from Sligo IT to say I was accepted for both the level 7 and level 8 course.. best of luck to those still waiting and thanks to all on this sub-forum, the advice and help was invaluable

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ducksounds

Just spoke to admissions at UCC. Emails are going out this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Pos087

ducksounds wrote: »
    Just spoke to admissions at UCC. Emails are going out this week.

Oh my god I'm a nervous wreck over this. My phone battery is not lasting the day with the amount of times I checking my emails lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

Rang NUIG admissions office, and I told them how some Universities & Colleges are making unofficial offers and confirmations of seats for mature applicants, and asked if NUIG were doing the same. 'NO' is the answer :(
    Will just have to wait for the CAO offers in early July.

it's weird how these institutions are making 'unofficial' offers/confirmations while the 'change of mind' window is still open...

is this a way of enticing applicants to their institution ? is it a competition thing ?

it undermines the whole CAO mature applicant stipulation whereby you have to accept the first offer you get from your choice list, in order of preference. Having been advised on this by the CAO and NUIG admissions, I turned down interviews in other institutions assuming I was getting sound advice on how the system works. Now I see that many institutions, including ones to which I turned down an interview, are letting applicants know in advance of the 'change of mind' deadline if they have a seat or not.

Wish someone from CAO/NUIG would have told me that...especially since I made specific inquiries on this topic.

No big deal I suppose, since my number 1 choice is NUIG and I'm guaranteed to get at least my second choice (which itself serves as a 'backdoor' into my first choice if I'm a high performer in year 1) ... but nevertheless it would have been very useful to have been given 100% accurate info from CAO/NUIG... it certainly could have proved disastrous if I didn't eventually become certain of where I wanted to study - I decision I made at the point I was 'misinformed' about how this offer system would work.

Options are good...and due to poor information I have less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭AngryLips

SameHorse wrote: »
    it's weird how these institutions are making 'unofficial' offers/confirmations while the 'change of mind' window is still open...

is this a way of enticing applicants to their institution ? is it a competition thing ?

Once you receive an offer you still have to place the course as your first choice in your CAO for, if you want to be able to accept the offer. It's really unusual for NUIG not to give advanced offers and you'd have to question their commitment to mature students with this policy. Most colleges give advanced offers because, for many mature applicants, going back to college represents a massive lifestyle change that might also have an impact on their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

AngryLips wrote: »
    Once you receive an offer you still have to place the course as your first choice in your CAO for, if you want to be able to accept the offer.

yes. I know how it works.

it's just annoying that I asked both NUIG admissions people, AND the CAO specifically about this topic ...and I was told in absolute terms that I would only be offered my highest preference for which I would qualify for an offer - and could not refuse it (and expect an offer for a lower preference choice).

I specifically asked them about this issue and not one mention of 'advanced offers' made during the 'change of mind period' was made, which would effectively allow a mature applicant to field multiple choices, have more options, and more time to make the final decision.

I was advised that I had to, effectively, make my choice there and then and commit to it. Which I did, and subsequently declined interview opportunities in other institutions so as not to waste the administrations time.

Fortunately, I'm not having any regrets about the choice I did make. Especially since my second choice (in the same institution) offers a 'backdoor' into my first choice providing I perform well, and I'm absolutely certain I'll at least get the second choice.

But ultimately they (CAO at the very least) should inform people that some (if not many) Universities & Colleges make 'advance offers' during the 'change of mind' period. Especialy since I asked specifically about the offer system for mature applicants, and was asking questions covering every minute detail and possibility ... and still this didn't come up. and since I'm not psychic nor had any reason to doubt the people who should know, I never thought to ask 'do some universities make advance offers during the change of mind period' ? ... tough if I did, who knows if I'd have received an accurate answer...

Could very well save someone a lot of grief if the CAO disclosed this information when asked about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 N3ller

First things first, mature student official CAO offers come out in early July and you receive an offer for the highest course you’ve been deemed eligible for. These are facts and not misinformation! What is shocking misinformation is to not attend for interviews lower down your list. I fail to see the logic here. You know you could apply for 10 courses, go through all the stages and the highest offer might be your tenth choice! I’m hoping that the interviews you declined were for courses you weren’t seriously considering.
    Every college has its own policy regarding informing mature students of offer eligibility. For the most part it’s because mature students tend to have more affairs to put in order.
    As far as the whole “change of mind” window, yes, some people may change their minds based on a provisional offer. However, I think most mature students are satisfied that they have ranked the courses in the order that they really want them. Do you really think that receiving a provisional offer for your third choice would make you jump ship and place it above your first two choices? Even looking at your own situation, you say you’re guaranteed your second choice (do you have a provisional offer?) so how come you haven’t changed that to your number one? It’s the same thing! Most applicants will hold out for a higher offer, and if that offer doesn’t come at least they have the option to accept an offer from lower down their list.
    It’s easy to get stressed out when you hear of others getting “offers” while you’re still waiting, but as you yourself say, these are unofficial/provisional offers or eligibility for an offer. Everyone still has to wait for the official offer.
    You sound confident with your top choices, so don’t be put off by other people’s experiences or college policies. Stay focused on your own journey and secure that you’ve made the right decisions for you and hopefully the offers will come 

Advertisement