Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player for Windows Phone?

• 29-05-2015 5:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to play RTE Player content on Windows Phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

beauf wrote: »
    Is there any way to play RTE Player content on Windows Phone?
    No, but you can't play it on any current Android phone either, because the RTE Player website is Flash only - Adobe dropped support for Flash in Android in 2012, and it hasn't been available from the Play store since then. There are ways to side-load old versions of flash that you can download from various unofficial sources, on newer Android phones, and of course, there are still lots of old Android phones that still have old, insecure versions of flash installed. If you visit the RTE Player site with an iPhone you'll be hit with a pop-up that directs you to download the RTE Player app - available for iDevices only, of course.

The fact that they have an app for iDevices means that they actually have the content in a format that can be played on any mobile device, they just can't be arsed making it available to non-Apple customers. And if they're still presenting Android users with "You need Flash" messages, it's not just that they don't care about Windows users, they just don't care, full stop.

I'm also kind of pissed that they're spending thousands advertising that Irish Radio app, but they won't produce a Windows version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I got it working on an old iPhone4. (it amamzing how everything works on that). But it really annoying they don't get the finger out and get an app out for other OS'es.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Cant get it on my LG smart tv either

Same here. Used to work on the LG browser but they updated it and it no longer works.

In fairness its a terrible website but sometimes theres something on it you want to see. I always have to revert back to an Apple device, to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Same here. Used to work on the LG browser but they updated it and it no longer works.

In fairness its a terrible website but sometimes theres something on it you want to see. I always have to revert back to an Apple device, to watch it.

It's possible an RTE app might appear on Windows 10 in future as they probably will want to be on Xbox One, and you'll be able to target all these platforms (phone, desktop, xbox, etc) with the *one* app from next year.

The 3 people left on WP by then will be delighted. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The 3 people left on WP by then will be delighted. ;)

Ah, but by then, it'll be called Windows 10 Mobile, which will solve all of it's problems!

I actually think that the whole Windows 10/Windows 10 Mobile combo will improve things, but it'll always be a niche player though, and always last in priority.

Advertisement