Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heysel 30 years on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I remember watching this as a kid and the match that happened afterwards was very odd and surreal to me. It was the low point of hooliganism at the end (nearly) of a low period for fan violence in general, and when coupled with a crumbling stadium had tragic consequences.

No one should ever go to a football match and not come home alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

5starpool wrote: »
    I remember watching this as a kid and the match that happened afterwards was very odd and surreal to me. It was the low point of hooliganism at the end (nearly) of a low period for fan violence in general, and when coupled with a crumbling stadium had tragic consequences.

No one should ever go to a football match and not come home alive.

agreed , i was 12 and it seemed to go on for hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The way things were going back then with hooliganism it was inevitable something like that would happen...

The seeds were sown the year before at the Liverpool v Roma EC cup final in Rome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKShQPn4lfM&t=4m21s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

RIP to the 39 football fans who never came home from a match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ger Canning had an article about it on RTE as well
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0525/703579-heysel-30-years-ger-canning/

It was a bit before my time, but one line surprised me slightly
    "Truly, I was taken aback by this because Liverpool fans always had a great reputation among visiting supporters up to that point.
    They were deemed to be good fun, top-class followers, however, on this occasion they had been infiltrated by a hooligan minority that ultimately tarnished the club's reputation."

Hadn't realised this, and perhaps Liverpool get a worse press than they deserve.
    I had assumed that nobody wanted to see English fans coming at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

would make it more special if Juve won CL for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Unbelievable that they made the game go ahead after that. RIP to the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Bertser wrote: »
    Unbelievable that they made the game go ahead after that. RIP to the victims.

Perhaps there was the worry that cancelling the game would lead to widespread rioting.

Ger Canning had an article about it on RTE as well
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0525/703579-heysel-30-years-ger-canning/

It was a bit before my time, but one line surprised me slightly
    "Truly, I was taken aback by this because Liverpool fans always had a great reputation among visiting supporters up to that point.
    They were deemed to be good fun, top-class followers, however, on this occasion they had been infiltrated by a hooligan minority that ultimately tarnished the club's reputation."

Hadn't realised this, and perhaps Liverpool get a worse press than they deserve.
    I had assumed that nobody wanted to see English fans coming at that point.

As stated already the seeds were sown the year before in Rome where Liverpool fans were attacked by Roma fans.

As stated already the seeds were sown the year before in Rome where Liverpool fans were attacked by Roma fans.

Not at you, just an example. But this is why the Liverpool are not forgiven in Italia. Always an excuse, always someone else. Never taking responsibility for the event.

Revenge for Rome
    bad ticket checking
    The police in Belgium
    The old stadium

Simple truth, fans in zone z were attacked by Liverpool fans and tragedy occurred.

RIP to my brothers who died, always carried in our hearts, even as rivals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

peteeeed wrote: »
    30 years ago today

seems crazy that a football game happened that night and the tragedy occurred before kick off .

it may seem crazy, but 1985 was not a good year...

Not at you, just an example. But this is why the Liverpool are not forgiven in Italia. Always an excuse, always someone else. Never taking responsibility for the event.

Revenge for Rome
    bad ticket checking
    The police in Belgium
    The old stadium

Simple truth, fans in zone z were attacked by Liverpool fans and tragedy occurred.

Was not making any excuses for it but just giving what could have been the mind set of people at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Obviously it pales in comparison to the tragedy for the people who died and their families but it must be very sad for Juventus as a club and their players that what should have been the greatest night in their history was actually one of the worst nights in their history.I can't imagine the players take too much joy from winning that European Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Terrible tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Revenge for Rome
    bad ticket checking
    The police in Belgium
    The old stadium

It shouldnt have been allowed to happen though. Would the wall have fallen in any other stadium. If the wall hadnt fallen wouldnt it have been like any other bad night in europe or england at the time.

niallo27 wrote: »
    It shouldnt have been allowed to happen though. Would the wall have fallen in any other stadium. If the wall hadnt fallen wouldnt it have been like any other bad night in europe or england at the time.

This is a mistake. The wall falling killed 14 people on the record. It is accepted that if the wall did not fall maybe many others would have died when they were forced against it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Shameful the lack of media coverage this gets in comparison to say Hillsborough.

yeah, hillsborough, always stealing the headlines from other tragedies.... :confused:

Some absolute scum showed up and caused the deaths of 39 people. absolutely unforgivable. Hard to imagine the horror that day. Read an article earlier in which Platini said hes still playing that game today in insuring this kind of thing can never happen again. Damn right. Just like you shouldn't show up to work and never come home like what is happening in Qatar atm. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

In a way the heysel incident is probably why hillsborough was so badly handled. The police, politicians and media already had a black mark against liverpool fans and used this bad reputation to brush so much under the carpet.

It is a shame hillsborough will never be forgotten, but this more or less is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

In a way the heysel incident is probably why hillsborough was so badly handled. The police, politicians and media already had a black mark against liverpool fans and used this bad reputation to brush so much under the carpet.

It is a shame hillsborough will never be forgotten, but this more or less is.

Forgotten by who? The Italians haven't, lfc haven't either.

Forgotten would be letting the anniversary pass without comment in the media or otherwise, and that's certainly not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

To be fair, it's the cover-up after Hillsborough that generates much of its coverage these days.

And that's not to take anything from each of those awful tragedies, both of which should be remembered*

*not a Liverpool fan, in case this degenerates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

39 fans shouldn't have died and that's the way it should always be. At the end of the day a lot of factors come into play. Liverpool supporters , a badly choosen stadium , an area segrated in two that never should have been , rome the year before hand. All these factors played a hand in that day.

Rip to the 39 juventus fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

RIP to the fans who died that night.

Platini spoke well today on the night in question. Not his best decision ever to celebrate his penalty that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ive seen it said more than a few times that the wall collapsing may have actually saved lives. People were being crushed up against it, and the falling wall relieved pressure and allowed others to escape. Point of conjecture obviously but it's silly to use the wall, or the condition of the stadium itself, as the main reason behind the disaster

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ive seen it said more than a few times that the wall collapsing may have actually saved lives. People were being crushed up against it, and the falling wall relieved pressure and allowed others to escape. Point of conjecture obviously but it's silly to use the wall, or the condition of the stadium itself, as the main reason behind the disaster

The main reason for the deaths was Liverpool fans charging at Juventus fans. This is without question.

It's also ok to say there were mistakes by the authorities too. Both Juventus and Liverpool made their reservations about the venue known to Uefa, they didn't want it played there. Other teams that played there also warned of the place falling down, Arsenal being one iirc.

If you think violence may occur, precautions should have been put in place. Alas, they weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I hate Platini.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Just came across this piece that Jamie Jackson of The Guardian,done 10 years ago about The Heysel Disaster.He asked for Phil Neal's account of what happened and what he can recall from that night.

What a absolutely Kunt.

Then: Liverpool captain, 34
    Now: Merseyside Radio commentator

I'd rather forget that night. It was an ordeal. But, Jamie, why should I help you out? I'm helping you pay your mortgage [by talking to you about Heysel]. When people ask me for my view, they usually have to pay for it. You're asking for my help for nothing. To pay your mortgage, Jamie. I mean, what do you want from me?

I just thought that as the captain of Liverpool football club on that night at Heysel it would be good to hear your view?

Yes but what do you want from me? If I talk to you for a few minutes, then I'm helping you pay your mortgage and what am I getting in return? Do you know what I mean?

Well, I have been to Italy and talked with some of the families of the victims and they say that the trophy should be given back by Juventus to commemorate what happened.

About Juventus? Why are you asking me? Why are you asking someone on the Liverpool side? Juventus made amends very soon. Ask them ... Jamie I'm helping you pay your mortgage. People who want my views pay.

I'm sorry, but everyone else I have spoken to has ...

Great. So you've spoken to people, you've got your views. You've got your Liverpool view, but if you want mine for free, well people pay for them.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Just came across this piece that Jamie Jackson of The Guardian,done 10 years ago about the Heysel disaster.He asked for Phil Neal's account of what happened and what he can recall from that night.

What a absolutely Kunt.

Then: Liverpool captain, 34
    Now: Merseyside Radio commentator

I'd rather forget that night. It was an ordeal. But, Jamie, why should I help you out? I'm helping you pay your mortgage [by talking to you about Heysel]. When people ask me for my view, they usually have to pay for it. You're asking for my help for nothing. To pay your mortgage, Jamie. I mean, what do you want from me?

I just thought that as the captain of Liverpool football club on that night at Heysel it would be good to hear your view?

Yes but what do you want from me? If I talk to you for a few minutes, then I'm helping you pay your mortgage and what am I getting in return? Do you know what I mean?

Well, I have been to Italy and talked with some of the families of the victims and they say that the trophy should be given back by Juventus to commemorate what happened.

About Juventus? Why are you asking me? Why are you asking someone on the Liverpool side? Juventus made amends very soon. Ask them ... Jamie I'm helping you pay your mortgage. People who want my views pay.

I'm sorry, but everyone else I have spoken to has ...

Great. So you've spoken to people, you've got your views. You've got your Liverpool view, but if you want mine for free, well people pay for them.

What's the context here? Is there history between them? Is your man hassling him? Doesn't really come across as a proper interview

Even looks like there's sections missing from the piece.

Unusual to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What's the context here? Is there history between them? Is your man hassling him? Doesn't really come across as a proper interview

Even looks like there's sections missing from the piece.

Unusual to say the least.

The context seems to be that the man wants to get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

There is a word to describe Phil Neal and there is a reason he gets very little attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Forgotten by who? The Italians haven't, lfc haven't either.

Forgotten would be letting the anniversary pass without comment in the media or otherwise, and that's certainly not the case.

Nor have a number of former Juve players, one of which Del Piero turned down the change to play for Liverpool, because of the Heysel disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I remember watching it all on the TV that night.
    Vivid memories of how strange the game seemed, it was surreal, as if it wasn't a real game.

After all these years and different accounts of what happened, I have only just found out from that newspaper piece that a NI fella died that night. How come I never heard that before?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I remember watching it all on the TV that night.
    Vivid memories of how strange the game seemed, it was surreal, as if it wasn't a real game.

After all these years and different accounts of what happened, I have only just found out from that newspaper piece that a NI fella died that night. How come I never heard that before?

anyone could of gotten tickets for that zone, everyone keeps saying 39 Italians were killed but it was 32 from Italy, 4 from Belgium, 2 from France and the Northern Irish guy.

• Advertisement

anyone could of gotten tickets for that zone, everyone keeps saying 39 Italians were killed but it was 32 from Italy, 4 from Belgium, 2 from France and the Northern Irish guy.

Yeah, it was a "neutral" zone separated by chicken wire so there were lots of neutral fans there but large amount of Juventus fans.

Both clubs had also protested at this neutral zone that was basically accessible to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The lack of coverage is shameful? What amount of coverage would you like? Is there a schedule that should be stuck to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Nor have a number of former Juve players, one of which Del Piero turned down the change to play for Liverpool, because of the Heysel disaster

As I said, Italians haven't forgotten, nor should they.

LFC's have their memorial every year for those who died. What they do is simply appropriate, no more or less than that. Some posters think the club can do more, I'd like to know what they feel would be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

LFC's have their memorial every year for those who died. What they do is simply appropriate, no more or less than that. Some posters think the club can do more, I'd like to know what they feel would be more appropriate.
    Flagellation yearly, I imagine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You can kinda see Why it doesn't get anywhere near the same coverage as hillsborough - it didn't happen in England, less deaths mostly Italian and supporters of an English club solely responsible.

This won't sell newspapers in the uk, simple as that really.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    You can kinda see Why it doesn't get anywhere near the same coverage as hillsborough - it didn't happen in England, less deaths mostly Italian and supporters of an English club solely responsible.

The sun thought it was a good idea to blame the supporters of an English club so your theory doesn't really stand up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The sun thought it was a good idea to blame the supporters of an English club so your theory doesn't really stand up.

One gutter rag top disproves my point?

Your not the most intellectual are you?

One gutter rag top disproves my point?

Your not the most intellectual are you?

The papers didn't protect the Chelsea fans involved in Paris. Why would the papers care about a club up north. They just want to sell papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tabloids love blaming hooligans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Maybe broadcast it on their in-house TV station?
    As long as it doesn't turn into the schmaltz-fest that the Hillsborough service has sadly become in recent years:mad:

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Maybe broadcast it on their in-house TV station?
    As long as it doesn't turn into the schmaltz-fest that the Hillsborough service has sadly become in recent years:mad:

I know, family members and fans remembering the dead.

The cheek of them tbh

Advertisement