Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

POC to sign for Toulon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Azog1b-200x200.jpg

oconnell.jpg

10963807_1616435115253486_141402607_n.jpg

They are at least related :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redmca2

Who is PIC ???? :D

redmca2 wrote: »
    Who is PIC ???? :D

That is, I think, Paul O'Connell playing Azog the White Orc in the movie the Hobbit :p

On a more serious note, I wish Paul the very best of luck at Toulon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thoroughly deserves a big load of cash to end his career with. Hope they give him his weight in gold.

.ak wrote: »
    Thoroughly deserves a big load of cash to end his career with. Hope they give him his weight in gold.

That is a lot of gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

An end of an era for Munster fans. Im assuming he will retire from International rugby after the world cup, so an end of an era there too.

He fully deserves it. If rumors are true its €1.2m for two years. Fair play to him.

Im off to Belfast tomorrow to watch the final and it will be a privilege to see him play for Munster one last time.

I think he looks closer to hell boy myself

Bc6uA9FIYAIZjct_zpsigqoutxz.jpg
    Hellboy_III_22466_zpseezyo5xu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Makes perfect sense for POC and Toulon. POC gets probably another medal or two and a big salary and Toulon replace the experience lost with Botha and Williams retiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Thanks Paul
    Please go easy on us in next years champions cup final :)

"putain agression maniaque"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Akrasia wrote: »
    Thanks Paul
    Please go easy on us in next years champions cup final :)

Good to see Wasp supporters amongst us...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Huge money and he deserves every penny of it.

Just a quick one though, is that tax exemption still in place about players getting some percentage of their tax back if they finish their career in Ireland?

So isn't he giving up on a lot of that "free" money by not just staying with Munster as I'm sure he's on fairly big money there as it is? Or is it the case that the money tied up in this deal is so much as to make that rebate virtually irrelevant?

Also would ye expect him to continue playing for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tax exemption not affected any longer. I would say he'll call it quits for Ireland.

The deal would definitely on condition that POC retires from Ireland post-RWC. There's no way Toulon are going to pay €1.2m to a 35 year old (36 in October) who could get injured with Ireland.

Plus, as we've seen with Sexton, being with Ireland means you're away from home and family for at least two months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Should be fine for the tax front.
    Pick whatever 10 years he wants once he returns from France
    Section 12 of the Finance Act, 2002 introduced Section 480A into the
    Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997 to provide relief on retirement for
    certain income of sportspersons specified in Schedule 23A of the
    Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997. The relief, given by way of repayment
    of tax, takes the form of a deduction from earnings and can be claimed
    for any 10 years of assessment chosen by the taxpayer from the period
    comprising the year of retirement and the preceding 14 years of
    assessment.

Huge money and he deserves every penny of it.

Just a quick one though, is that tax exemption still in place about players getting some percentage of their tax back if they finish their career in Ireland?

So isn't he giving up on a lot of that "free" money by not just staying with Munster as I'm sure he's on fairly big money there as it is? Or is it the case that the money tied up in this deal is so much as to make that rebate virtually irrelevant?

Also would ye expect him to continue playing for Ireland?

In terms of playing for Ireland- I imagine that the 'understanding' is that he retires from international. Just my thoughts. For that money, they can't have him disappearing off for 10 weeks for six nations with the risk of serious injury. When POC gets injured he does it good and proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Worst kept secret in rugby. Great to see him get a big pay day, thoroughly deserved, great addition for Toulon and a huge loss for Munster/Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well earned payday and a chance to add le Brennus to his glittering trophy cabinet. Now lest hope his last game in red has him lifting a silver trophy and his last one in green a gold one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Very favorable tax exemptions in France I believe too so he should get to keep a lot of that wedge over there too

I know everyone keeps going on about the money but it also a great experience personally and professionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hope the body holds up, health more important that wealth after this. Good luck to him

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hope the body holds up, health more important that wealth after this. Good luck to him
    I don't think they will overwork him. They will have four other senior locks (Suta, Taofifenua, Mikautadze, Lassalle) while Manoa and Gorgodze can also play there.

I know everyone keeps going on about the money but it also a great experience personally and professionally.

Precisely. Who wouldn't want a couple of years in Provence? As demanding as the standard is in Toulon, it won't be any higher than POC is used to asking of himself as well as the fact that he's very unlikely to play as much as he does now.

Botha and Williams have only started 14 and 15 games respectively for Toulon this season. POC is at 22 already this season.

More pay, less work in the sunshine of southern France....I believe this is what we call a no brainer.

I don't think they will overwork him. They will have four other senior locks while Manoa and Gorgodze can also play there.

Don't expect that thinking to filter into the minds of those who will always bang that drum regarding the T14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

GavMan wrote: »
    Very favorable tax exemptions in France I believe too so he should get to keep a lot of that wedge over there too

I don't think so; IIRC Francois Hollande made a big deal out of taxing the bejeesus out of soccer players before the last election, I doubt rugby players have it any easier.

Buer wrote: »
    Don't expect that thinking to filter into the minds of those who will always bang that drum regarding the T14.
    Sorry, you're right. POC is going to be flogged like Sexton. He won't last three months in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well looks like Toulon just became a lot of people's favourite French rugby team for next season...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Playing in a different environment and different coaching could be very beneficial if Paul ever considers going into coaching .

I hope he has a great couple of years and a great fining with Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I don't think so; IIRC Francois Hollande made a big deal out of taxing the bejeesus out of soccer players before the last election, I doubt rugby players have it any easier.
    I think that is only because they earn over €1M a year and there is a 75% tax rate or something. Hollande wasn't willing to give soccer players them a special exemption. Open to correction though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well looks like Toulon just became a lot of people's favourite French rugby team for next season...

Really? I wouldn't have thought so. Not mine anyway. The ability the buy up the best players is not how I base who I like in sports teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

I don't have time to look it up but I had a conversation with a member of Leinster Professional Rugby Committee and his take on it was that combined with our rules changing on retirement and a favorable French system, Sexton would get to keep a good chunk of his salary from France and that France was going to be a real option for guys at the end portion of their career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Sangre wrote: »
    I think that is only because they earn over €1M a year and there is a 75% tax rate or something. Hollande wasn't willing to give soccer players them a special exemption. Open to correction though.

Yeah that's correct, so what I mean is that I don't think there is any special tax exemption for sportspeople there.

That said, their taxes are probably still lower than Ireland...

I thought that 75% tax rate wasn't brought in in the end?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I thought that 75% tax rate wasn't brought in in the end?

It was, on anything over 1M. It was a complete disaster and was dropped.

Chiocci, Guirado, Ma'afu, POC, Taofifenua, Lobbe, Armitage, Manoa
    STB, Cooper, Habana, Giteau, Nonu, Mitchell, Halfpenny

Not bad. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

adrian522 wrote: »
    Really? I wouldn't have thought so. Not mine anyway. The ability the buy up the best players is not how I base who I like in sports teams.

Oh come on. People (especially Thornz) are being too harsh on Toulon. Yes, they have galacticos but they seem to have one of the best sets of fans in rugby. I'd love to be a player walking through the guard of honour on the way to the game each week. Plus they adore the players, bought or not.

If you want to hate on someone, save your ire for Saracens; second-rate "galacticos", financial cheaters, and chant stealers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't "hate" Toulon, but they leave me rather cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

If any man has earned a deal like this it's Paulie. Best of luck to him. I hope he makes out like a bandit. International retirement has to be part of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Delighted for Paul. To be part of such a high calibre of players I believe he would have regretted if he had not signed. He himself is top class and should mix with the best and Toulon will most likely go on and win another European Cup or two!

Sun, Sand and more Silverware for the Big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Best of luck to him and well deserved, not a bad way to roll out your days, Shaw, Botha and Williams all had good experiences.

I'll have to take an active interest in Toulon now, you didn't think about that Paulie did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I think its more than just the money, sunshine and more medals that appeals to him.

The whole player welfare thing has treated him really well and the biggest reason why he is still playing and can go for another 2 years. But part of him must have been going insane because there was so much minding himself for ireland and bigger munster matchs and the half arsed nature of some of the stretchs of the pro12 season.

He will be rested every other week in toulon but its the only place where he can experience a proper a proper week to week clubs season ,where every game is important, competitive, full house, proper atmosphere, none of the lulls you get as a contracted international.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Swapping the sunny skies and glorious beaches of Limerick for the doom and gloom of the south of France. Don't know what he's thinking tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Oh come on. People (especially Thornz) are being too harsh on Toulon. Yes, they have galacticos but they seem to have one of the best sets of fans in rugby. I'd love to be a player walking through the guard of honour on the way to the game each week. Plus they adore the players, bought or not.

If you want to hate on someone, save your ire for Saracens; second-rate "galacticos", financial cheaters, and chant stealers.

I think they've bought the last 3 European cups and will probably keep on winning them for the foreseeable future.

I don't hate them particularly, it is the way of modern sport.

But they are long , long way from being a favorite team of mine just because they signed Paul O'Connell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

May it build him a suitable nest egg for his retirement.

Great servant to Munster and Irish Rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Wish he wasnt going to a team that i really dislike, but glad he gets the opportunity to cash in. He has been an inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

This makes me sad.

Money grabbing selfish turn coat bastard turning his back on Ireland and Munster.

How dare he do this after everything Irish rugby has done for him..:mad:

Surprised this comment has not surfaced so I just put it out there...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

A great servant to Munster, Ireland, and the game in general I wish him all the luck in the world over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Flanman91

POC leaving Munster. Truly the end of an era "an era I've grown up in and don't know rugby without him". When I think of Munster I think of POC. It will be a very sad day for Munster and all of Ireland when he plays his last game for one of our province's and I hope he gets the send off he has earned. Hope you make a killing in France and finish off injury free ready to take over the reigns of Irish rugby somtime down the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What a gentleman and a great player. Delighted for him, great to see him off last week. Sad to think of all the Munster greats I have witnessed departing in the past 3 years or so. Will we ever see their like again?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

adrian522 wrote: »

He's right, as an Ireland fan I won't be able help but support Toulon if POC is playing. Except when playing an Irish team obviously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement