Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

POC to sign for Toulon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I keep reading about a clause that POC cannot play against Munster. That's pretty ridiculous if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

What age is his kid? Anyone reckon he'd stay out there and pick up some coaching practice before heading back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Flipper22 wrote: »
    He's right, as an Ireland fan I won't be able help but support Toulon if POC is playing.

I will. Very easily.

Great deal for O'Connell though, he's definitely done more than earn it. Nice pay day and some decent weather for a change - I'd jump at the chance myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Shame he didn't have an idea this was coming some time back. Might have avoided some questionable decisions:

Picture-34-437x330.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He's going to get sooooo sun burnt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Delighted for him, deserves to have a god-like status in more than one country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I keep reading about a clause that POC cannot play against Munster. That's pretty ridiculous if true.

i would be very disappointed with the IRFU/Munster if that was something they insisted on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

ABT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

aimee1 wrote: »
    i would be very disappointed with the IRFU/Munster if that was something they insisted on.

It would be completely absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How could the IRFU/Munster insert any Clause in his contract, he's moving as a free agent, it's not like soccer where they're selling him to Toulon. The only one who could insist on that is the player himself.

stephen_n wrote: »
    How could the IRFU/Munster insert any Clause in his contract, he's moving as a free agent, it's not like soccer where they're selling him to Toulon. The only one who could insist on that is the player himself.

he is under contract until june 2016

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Can't think of many players who are more deserving of a great pay packet to see em into retirement. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Clearly the contract is going to be voided by the agreement of both parties. Perhaps with some compensation paid by Toulon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted for Paul - I hope he earns a packet, enjoys two years of the sun on his back and has a great experience with his family in France.

• Advertisement

With Munster or IRFU? Sorry I thought his Munster contract was up after this season.

stephen_n wrote: »
    With Munster or IRFU? Sorry I thought his Munster contract was up after this season.

central contract with irfu runs for another 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

If he retires from international rugby doesn't this make his contract null and void?.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    If he retires from international rugby doesn't this make his contract null and void?.

He can't retire from international rugby unless he retires from rugby. He can't just void his contract. If he goes to Toulon it's because the IRFU have released him from his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I wonder if Paulie on their roster could make me root for Toulon... Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

As it's an IRFU contract rather than a Munster one, then POC/Toulon will be dealing with the IRFU not Munster. In that situation I can't see how Munster can demand anything of Toulon.
    Also as a Munster fan I'd hate to see that kind of restriction put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I've seen no mention of any such clause anywhere except here and I don't think it's remotely likely.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It would be completely absurd.

It also can't happen.

Munster and the IRFU don't own the player. Once he signs a Toulon contract the IRFU and Munster have absolutely no control over what he does and Toulon are free to use their own player as they see fit.

"Cannot play against Munster" wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.

I doubt it's true anyway. It's too crappy a clause to actually be put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    It also can't happen.

Munster and the IRFU don't own the player. Once he signs a Toulon contract the IRFU and Munster have absolutely no control over what he does and Toulon are free to use their own player as they see fit.

"Cannot play against Munster" wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on.

I doubt it's true anyway. It's too crappy a clause to actually be put in.

Nah, that's not necessarily true. It happens in other sports where a player is provided on loan to another side (didn't it happen with Cooney this season? Maybe not), I'm sure it would be possible to put the clause in place if someone really wanted to, but I can't imagine it's something anyone really wants to pursue.

Not being privy to the details or in's and outs of contracts, I would assume making yourself unavailable for selection would end any central contract. The club contracts would be a different matter. Having said all that I couldn't see the IRFU standing in his way though, one way or the other.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nah, that's not necessarily true. It happens in other sports where a player is provided on loan to another side (didn't it happen with Cooney this season? Maybe not), I'm sure it would be possible to put the clause in place if someone really wanted to, but I can't imagine it's something anyone really wants to pursue.

A loan is different though.

awec wrote: »
    A loan is different though.

It's not really, it just involves a different type of agreement, it's not something that's legally infeasible. It's just not realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Deserves the money. Just wish it wasn't Toulon he was signing for. Can't stand that club, the thought of one of my favourite players ever joining them is painful. Then again POC has a family to raise, 1.2M euros :eek:

POC is still contracted. He needs to be released from his contract for this deal to happen. He can't retire from international rugby without retiring full stop under his current deal. You cannot just end a contract like that. The IRFU could require the clause to release him.

I simply don't see anyone asking for or agreeing to such a clause though.

It only happens with loans. Premier League rules for example don't allow a player to play against their parent club, but it's illegal to have an agreement in a permanent transfer saying that they can't play against their previous club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What age is his kid? Anyone reckon he'd stay out there and pick up some coaching practice before heading back?

Paddy's five so the doors are open. I should be getting my coaching licence for the under-6s by this time next year so he's welcome to bring the young fella down to see what he's made of :D

It only happens with loans. Premier League rules for example don't allow a player to play against their parent club, but it's illegal to have an agreement in a permanent transfer saying that they can't play against their previous club.

So, it would be very simple to put it into practice in this situation. But again, I don't see why the IRFU would be interested in pushing the envelope on that sort of thing when financial reimbursement would be far more useful.

So, it would be very simple to put it into practice in this situation. But again, I don't see why the IRFU would be interested in pushing the envelope on that sort of thing when financial reimbursement would be far more useful.

How? It's not a loan it's a permanent transfer. I've never heard of such a clause being used in any sport with a permanent transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

How? It's not a loan it's a permanent transfer. I've never heard of such a clause being used in any sport with a permanent transfer.

You frequently see non-competing clauses in business with no legal issues - for instance, a multfi national company buying another might stipulate that the local business owners selling out cannot go into a similar business for at least 2 years.

Just remember, the IRFU hold POC's contract and so they are the ones in the driving seat.

jm08 wrote: »
    You frequently see non-competing clauses in business with no legal issues - for instance, a multfi national company buying another might stipulate that the local business owners selling out cannot go into a similar business for at least 2 years.

Just remember, the IRFU hold POC's contract and so they are the ones in the driving seat.

They don't have to release him but I struggle to see how the clause would actually be enforceable.

Besides which it's petty and unrealistic.

If it was a permanent transfer the clause may not hold up under EU law, however it doesn't have to be a permanent transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

I would be worried for Munster next season without Paulie, but it has to happen sometime i'spose ! Good Luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to him, never played a bad game in his life imo

Some laugh if toulon are in the same group as Munster in the European Cup next season. Think Munster will be in the doldrums for a few years now

PTH2009 wrote: »

Some laugh if toulon are in the same group as Munster in the European Cup next season. Think Munster will be in the doldrums for a few years now

Certainly there is no replacing POC but Munster are in quite a good position thanks to strong leadership emerging at the right time in POM. I think himself and Ryan will fill that void pretty well in terms of leadership, the technical ability will be what's really missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They don't have to release him but I struggle to see how the clause would actually be enforceable.

Besides which it's petty and unrealistic.

Didn't Chelsea try that in the Champions League a few seasons back with the Atletico Madrid goalkeeper and were quickly ruled out of order by Platini .
    Not the same sport but it is a precedent .

jm08 wrote: »

Non-compete clauses / restraints of trade are NOTORIOUSLY hard to enforce and are required to pass many legal tests before they are successful, especially when you are talking about individuals.

If there is ANY truth to the "won't play against Munster" clause then it's either something which Paulie insisted as part of his contract, or it's something that Toulon wanted so that they can not pick him for those games without providing a reason (some contracts in sport have certain guarantee's around selection criteria).

There is no way that Munster or the IRFU would look (or could) impose a restriction. Also, POC can walk away from his contract at any time with Munster / IRFU albeit the restrictions that teams can hold over players around their image rights and other things can be carried.

Anyway, Paulie will go to Toulon if he wants, and the IRFU / Munster won't do anything about it. He will play against Munster if he and Toulon wants also.

There may be a buyout clause that Toulon will agree to, but it will already be part of his contract and not something negotiated now.

OMFG

This "clause" - where has it been reported?

Anyone?

BTW in general they are very hard to enforce but in this case it would be binding.

Except it's completely fictional and fictional contractual obligations are notoriously difficult to enforce, mainly due to European Regulation (EC)1276/2009 which explicitly prohibits made-up internet rumours from infringing on the rights of citizens.

OMFG

Anyone?

I hadn't heard about it anywhere until I came on here but after a quick google I see that News Channel DSN is running the story.

www.desperatesupportersnetwork.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

OMFG

Anyone?

I saw it somewhere. Can't remember where, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Why would we even bother? Tbh I'd love to see Paulie play in Thomond Park again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

PTH2009 wrote: »

Munster win today and they are too seeds for the champions cup, iys more likely that Toulon an Leinster would be drawn in the same group
    ;)

I saw it somewhere. Can't remember where, sorry.

Cian Tracey had it in his article last week and retweeted it yesterday. Never replied to me when I tweeted him that the clause unenforceable BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Non-compete clauses / restraints of trade are NOTORIOUSLY hard to enforce and are required to pass many legal tests before they are successful, especially when you are talking about individuals.

If there is ANY truth to the "won't play against Munster" clause then it's either something which Paulie insisted as part of his contract, or it's something that Toulon wanted so that they can not pick him for those games without providing a reason (some contracts in sport have certain guarantee's around selection criteria).

There is no way that Munster or the IRFU would look (or could) impose a restriction. Also, POC can walk away from his contract at any time with Munster / IRFU albeit the restrictions that teams can hold over players around their image rights and other things can be carried.

Anyway, Paulie will go to Toulon if he wants, and the IRFU / Munster won't do anything about it. He will play against Munster if he and Toulon wants also.

There may be a buyout clause that Toulon will agree to, but it will already be part of his contract and not something negotiated now.

While it is complete bollocks, why in Gods name would Muster/IRFU try that restriction on?

The whole rationale for a ROT clause is to protect the former employer's business. How in God's name is POC playing against Munster adversely affecting Munster's business. It doesnt.

POC against Munster at Thomand Park would see the gate/TV receipts sky rocket. Happy days for the bean counters at Thomand Park.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Neil Francis was most unhappy about this move in the sindo yesterday

• Advertisement
Advertisement