Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree ID

Options
  • 29-05-2015 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got a thousand or so thorns, rowan, hazel, birch and cherry trees to plant round the house and the guy said he'd throw in a few crab apples. Can someone ID these two trees as not sure if the smaller one is crab apple or what the taller one is (sorry for crap pic).
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the second is a birch.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

The first looks like a cherry. Possibly the wild one...

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

First may be Weigelia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

lk67 wrote: »
    The first looks like a cherry. Possibly the wild one...

slightly different leaves than the other wild cherry i have planted, the others would not be as tight leaved (my unhorticultural term). Have planted about ten of them in a 100m hedge so will see what grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

I got a native crab apple this year and it does look like the tree number 1.
    The second one could be a birch but I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Cherry and birch.
    Take a leaf from the cherry and examine the base of the stalk where there ought to be 2 little bumps or glands.

Advertisement