Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final - Arsenal vs Aston Villa, 30/05 5.30pm, BBC1

• 29-05-2015 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

The traditional showpiece of the English season sees Arsenal look to become the most successful club in FA Cup history as they gun for their 12th victory in the competition. Arsene Wenger also aims to become the most successful post-war manager in the competition, to match the record set by Aston Villa's George Ramsay around the turn of the last century.

Aston Villa's current manager Tim Sherwood has rejuvenated their side and will look to be the fly in Wenger's ointment. Having achieved their main goal of Premier League survival their FA Cup run has been icing on the cake for the Villa with mental scenes at Villa Park after their impressive derby win over West Brom before then dispatching Liverpool in the semi-final.

Probable line-ups -

Arsenal : Szczesny, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Sanchez, Giroud

Aston Villa: Given, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Richardson, Cleverley, Westwood, Delph, Grealish, Agbonlahor, Benteke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Come on you gunners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal will be way to strong for Villa, this could and I think it will be, a very one sided final, probably the biggest since Utd beat Millwall back in 2004 was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Arsenal are miles ahead as a team. If this was a league game it would be a walkover.....but its a final. Arsenal are still fragile. This is by no means a sure thing.

And the thought of Agbonlahor running at Mertesacker makes me chuckle. :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If Villa set up like Swansea and Sunderland did in the league they'll probably win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

It would be nice to see Shay Given and Ciaran Clark pick up a winners medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Kirby wrote: »
    Arsenal are miles ahead as a team. If this was a league game it would be a walkover.....but its a final. Arsenal are still fragile. This is by no means a sure thing.

The thoughts of him running at Koscielny makes me chuckle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Why? Thats not humerous at all. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kirby wrote: »

aha yes - Agbonlahor runs at Metersacker, Metersacker tackles Agbonlahor - NEXT !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The BBC are doing lots of FA Cup/Football themed coverage around the day , in a throwback to when the FA Cup Final build up was a huge event

BBC Breakfast (06:30-10:00, BBC One)

FA Cup Rewind: Classic Finals (08:30-09:30, BBC Two)

MOTD Kickabout (09:30-10:00, BBC Two)

Saturday Kitchen ( 10:00-11:30, BBC One)

FA Cup 50 Greatest Moments (10:00-12:00, BBC Two)

Fighting Talk (11:00-12:00, Radio 5 live)

Football Focus (12:10-13:00, BBC One)

Gary Lineker on the Road to FA Cup Glory (BBC One, 13:00-14:00)

FA Cup TOTP 2 (14:05-14:30, BBC One)

Pointless FA Cup Special (14:30-15:20, BBC One)

The Road to Wembley (15:25-15:55, BBC One)

MOTD LIVE: FA Cup Final Build Up (15:55-17:15, BBC One)

MOTD LIVE: Arsenal v Aston Villa (17:15-19:50, BBC One)

5 live Sport: FA Cup Final: Arsenal v Aston Villa (12:00-19:30, Radio 5 live)

MOTD: FA Cup Final highlights (22:50-23:25, BBC One)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32801726

I hope Villa win, a nice lesuirely stroll in August for a community shield curtain raiser would be welcome. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The real question is are there trains running back to Birmingham after this abomination of a KO time!?

gimmick wrote: »
    The real question is are there trains running back to Birmingham after this abomination of a KO time!?

last train at 21:43 so should be ok even with extra time and penalties (God forbid)

http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/combinedmatrix.aspx?Command=TimeTable#Journey/LONDON%20EUSTON/BIRMINGHAM%20NEW%20STREET/30/05/15/20/00/Dep//////Dep/1/0//

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Clark is out, probably Okore as well.
    Vlaar and Baker at the back. Eek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If Villa set up like Swansea and Sunderland did in the league they'll probably win.

I agree with this but can Tim set up a team like that. He is a fairly attacking manager. If they come at us I think we will murder them.

Arsenal fans be afraid, be very afraid.
    according to Ginny the Penguin at the National Sea Life Centre in Birmingham, Tim Sherwood’s side will triumph over Arsene Wenger’s this Saturday.

‘Our penguins love getting the chance to put their psychic abilities to the test, especially Ginny,’ said staff member Naomi Bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

jonny666 wrote: »
    I agree with this but can Tim set up a team like that. He is a fairly attacking manager. If they come at us I think we will murder them.

Well he's been playing with 3 combative midfielders so that will continue.
    Starting Walcott is the real worry, Giroud is out of form but Walcott is exactly the type of player to take advantage of the Villa defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

JPA wrote: »
    Well he's been playing with 3 combative midfielders so that will continue.
    Starting Walcott is the real worry, Giroud is out of form but Walcott is exactly the type of player to take advantage of the Villa defence.

It's more than playing 3 ball winning player in the middle it's sitting 11 players in the box like Sunderland did I'd be worried about.

jonny666 wrote: »
    It's more than playing 3 ball winning player in the middle it's sitting 11 players in the box like Sunderland did I'd be worried about.

and compound that with a slow start, little movement, slow steady passing as we did in the first half against both Sunderland and Swansea and it plays into the hands of a team sitting back.

Really hope we race out of the blocks tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I just hope Benteke doesn't pay a blinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What's the point in the 5:15pm kick off? Absolutely no need for that and don't see the point of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

SantryRed wrote: »
    What's the point in the 5:15pm kick off? Absolutely no need for that and don't see the point of it.

larger viewing figures

Hyzepher wrote: »
    larger viewing figures

bumper day for Wembley based pubs too

Is the 5.15 not to do with the no top flight games live between 2.45 and 5.15 in England on Saturdays?

Theres also other reasons I'd imagine.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Is the 5.15 not to do with the no top flight games live between 2.45 and 5.15 in England on Saturdays?

Is a cup match technically a "top flight" game though?

that only applies when there's a full league fixture list on a Saturday. Final was always played at 3pm on a Saturday. And I can remember when that was one of the few live games to be shown - along with World Cup and Euro final matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Not that it makes a huge difference but kick off is 5.30 not 5.15.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

FA Chairman said the 5.30 kick-off was dictated by TV - bigger audiences at tea time

By the time the game is over we'll have the Copa Del Rey to look forward to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Easy 3-1 to Villa. Benteke hat-trick and Sanchez with a consolation for the Arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Can we just decide this by a poll instead? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

brevity wrote: »
    I just hope Benteke doesn't pay a blinder.

As a neutral, I hope he does. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

By the time the game is over we'll have the Copa Del Rey to look forward to. :)

Not to mention the German Cup final between Dortmund & Wolfsburg ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hoki wrote: »
    Not to mention the German Cup final between Dortmund & Wolfsburg ;)

And the Scottish heavyweight, cup final clash between the mighty Caley Thistle and Falkirk beforehand...
    What a day to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just a slight gripe here, k/o is 5:30. Could be the thread be updated with the kick-off time? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

May i ask a question?

Would the fans be drinking for the final today?

If so would they have a few pints before they go in to watch the match or wait until it is over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Does anybody in America know what station this match will be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    May i ask a question?

Would the fans be drinking for the final today?

If so would they have a few pints before they go in to watch the match or wait until it is over?

Both before & after i'd imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Patser

Hoki wrote: »
    Both before & after i'd imagine!

I'd say a fair few during as well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Sorry about the time error, but if you stick on BBC1 at 5.15 you won't be put far wrong so we'll let it ride.

Great build up stuff on all day, getting really hyped now! Come on you Gunners!

Edit - Only seen a mod already fixed it. Propriety is restored, huzzah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Come on Arsenal!!!

• Advertisement

Let's make history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Does anybody in America know what station this match will be on?

I believe fox sports have FA cup rights

Time to knock United off their perch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Raf32 wrote: »
    Time to knock United off their perch!

It's our perch too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Would be nice to see Villa win this, a club with history who've been asleep for too long

@Arsenal: .@Arsenal team to play Villa: Szczesny, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis, Walcott

efb wrote: »
    @Arsenal: .@Arsenal team to play Villa: Szczesny, Bellerin, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Alexis, Walcott

no Giroud !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Walcott up front is a brave move, really think he can trouble villas back 4. Could be his day

Will be closing my eyes for all Villas set pieces so.

Can't say I'm surprised Walcott on form Giroud off form

• Advertisement
Advertisement