Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA Cup Final - Arsenal vs Aston Villa, 30/05 5.30pm, BBC1

1234568»

Comments

davycc wrote: »
    sherwood has the villa squad locked in the changing rooms- some poor sod will be getting a slap of the gillet about the head:P

Tim is far too flippant and too fond of microphones to have long term success in modern day football as a manager. At the very best he will become a firefighter and even that will be a tall order at this stage. He is tarnishing his reputation with every post match rant. Make no mistake if he wasnt English the media would absolutely crucify him. God knows the knifes are always out for Wenger and id say a few biro men are reeling tonight.

I was actually beginning to warm to him until his criticism of the 'Losing culture of Villa' after the match. Yes we all know they have been mediocre but as a rookie manager should you not be picking your players up rather than distancing yourself from their failure? Considering how shíte Villa have been even after he took over they have overachieved to avoid relegation and get to this point.

Great win for Arsenal. When they play like that they are a joy to watch. The ball from Coquelin, who was at Barnsley til Jan, to start the move for the first goal was brilliant. Feel sad for my grand-uncle, made it to Wembley today as Ireland's oldest Villa fan, 94yo. He was there in '57 when they last won it. Would have loved a Villa win for him. But they were never in it.

The poor man. Its a pity they couldnt at least have showed up. Sickens me how lob sided football has become when you look at that era in particular in the 50's when you had players playing on with broken legs for the cause(not that i recommend that either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why all the fuss over Grealish?

I would say England will be saying "you can have him" now.

Jaysus, it's only one game. Let's not get too over the top in criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The poor man. Its a pity they couldnt at least have showed up. Sickens me how lob sided football has become when you look at that era in particular in the 50's when you had players playing on with broken legs for the cause(not that i recommend that either)

Haven't spoken to him, but I'm sure he enjoyed the day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tim is far too flippant and too fond of microphones to have long term success in modern day football as a manager. At the very best he will become a firefighter and even that will be a tall order at this stage. He is tarnishing his reputation with every post match rant. Make no mistake if he wasnt English the media would absolutely crucify him. God knows the knifes are always out for Wenger and id say a few biro men are reeling tonight.

I was actually beginning to warm to him until his criticism of the 'Losing culture of Villa' after the match. Yes we all know they have been mediocre but as a rookie manager should you not be picking your players up rather than distancing yourself from their failure? Considering how shíte Villa have been even after he took over they have overachieved to avoid relegation and get to this point.

Absolute tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

davycc wrote: »
    took it well

he always does :D

CSF wrote: »
    Absolute tripe.

In what way? Have you heard his post match interview? Is it really the time to be hinting at getting rid of players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If FSG have watched this game and still think spending £32 million on Benteke is a good idea, then they may as well just sell Liverpool now.

For such a physical presence, he was terrible today. Terrible.

Hope you're right.

He got almost zero service today, playing against 2 centre halves. Although not that the terms 'Liverpool' 'spending' and good ideas' are exactly synonymous with each other :pac:

In what way? Have you heard his post match interview? Is it really the time to be hinting at getting rid of players?

Yes the end of the season is exactly that time. The suggestion that he hasn't done remarkably well is either seriously biased or seriously misinformed. What Villa fan wouldn't have taken being clear of relegation on the last day and an FA Cup Final after how unsalvageable things looked under Lambert?

Yes things did take a turn for the worse after the Southampton debacle but people need to treat things reasonably rather than looking for any excuse to run Sherwood into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Turtwig wrote: »
    Jaysus, it's only one game. Let's not get too over the top in criticism.

Why not?

His reputation seems to have been formed in one game, so may as well knock it down based on one game as well.;)

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why not?

His reputation seems to have been formed in one game, so may as well knock it down based on one game as well.;)

He was actually immense for a few games but has gone right off the boil with the rest of the team since Southampton too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Apparently there were a few cases Villa fans fighting among themselves yesterday;

https://twitter.com/search?q=villa%20fans%20fighting&src=tyah

Every club has its share of idiots supporting them, but I'm surprised to hear that. Villa generally have a good reputation. I was over at the City/Villa game in April and was chatting to a few Villa fans in a pub before the game, and they were sound people. I suppose the nice weather in London yesterday and some of them being on the sauce all day wouldn't help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He was actually immense for a few games but has gone right off the boil with the rest of the team since Southampton too.

I agree, also hes only 19, its incredibly difficult and rare for a player that young to maintain good form at premier league level

Yes the end of the season is exactly that time. The suggestion that he hasn't done remarkably well is either seriously biased or seriously misinformed. What Villa fan wouldn't have taken being clear of relegation on the last day and an FA Cup Final after how unsalvageable things looked under Lambert?

Yes things did take a turn for the worse after the Southampton debacle but people need to treat things reasonably rather than looking for any excuse to run Sherwood into the ground.

He done a good job keeping them up but I don't see him succeeding long term tbh. Wearing the heart on the sleeve is all very admirable but you can let emotion get the better of you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Fair play to arsenal. They wanted it more and had their tactics set up perfectly to stop villa. Their defence and midfield were really good and anytime any villa player ventured into their half with the ball he was crouded out and not given any options

• Advertisement

He done a good job keeping them up but I don't see him succeeding long term tbh. Wearing the heart on the sleeve is all very admirable but you can let emotion get the better of you too.

Let's not act like you've any interest in evaluating Sherwood fairly.

Let's not act like you've any interest in evaluating Sherwood fairly.

And would you care to offer your own views or are you just on some sort of crusade to knock others opinions? Don't take someone else's opinion so personal. You rate Sherwood, fine. I just don't think he will amount to much of a manager the way he is going. He has his strengths but his naivety is all too apparent

Advertisement