Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cock Tavern in Swords closed down

Options
  • 29-05-2015 11:09am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems the Cock owners are in trouble with Revenue and also were trading without a licence.

See details here, which also mentions the Star is for sale.

More closed premises on Main St. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mod Note:

A previous thread on this - since deleted by the OP - contained unsupported (at the time) allegations about this closure.

As this thread contains a linked source naming the business & the situation surrounding the closure, this thread can remain.

We would ask that posters refrain from making any potentially defamatory comments about those involved. If unsure - PM myself or Dizzyblonde.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

How odd that such a reputable establishment would trade with no licence despite being warned.

Even more strange that Revenue would enforce the issue instead of An Gardai Siochana.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Well they are the ones that issue licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I remember going there in it's hayday about twenty years ago and being interrogated by a little hard man bouncer and his moustache!! It was like something from the matrix, they took me in to the jacks, told me to stand in a certain spot whilst they examined my ID and asked me lots of silly questions... I was pretty young and staying with friends in Swords, so I was fairly keen to stay in the pub so I didn't leave.

Just thought I'd tell you this little story. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

ny sign of it reopening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I heard that the Cock was reopening? Anyone heard anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Lux23 wrote: »
    I heard that the Cock was reopening? Anyone heard anything about this?

Heard it myself and also heard it was bought by the Brogan brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

The Empire in Swords was named 2015 Sky Leinster Bar of the Year and also, Fingal Bar of the year by Fingal Chamber after 9 months of trading.

A few weeks ago the General Manager Empire, Jerry Harrington, left his position; the success of the Empire was credited to him.

This week the North County Leader report that Jerry Harrington is back and promoted to the position of Group General Manager of Empire. The Empire will begin renovating upstairs in the New Year and employ a total of 100 staff.

Whoever opens The Cock Tavern is facing fierce competition from Empire (2015 Leinster Bar of the year), Weatherspoons and Wrights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

mickmmc wrote: »
    The Empire in Swords was named 2015 Sky Leinster Bar of the Year and also, Fingal Bar of the year by Fingal Chamber after 9 months of trading.

A few weeks ago the General Manager Empire, Jerry Harrington, left his position; the success of the Empire was credited to him.

This week the North County Leader report that Jerry Harrington is back and promoted to the position of Group General Manager of Empire. The Empire will begin renovating upstairs in the New Year and employ a total of 100 staff.

Whoever opens The Cock Tavern is facing fierce competition from Empire (2015 Leinster Bar of the year), Weatherspoons and Wrights.

Are you connected with The Empire?
    I've only been in once, on a Saturday night after a meal in Masterson's and I walked straight back out because of the noise. I'd imagine that if the new owners run the Cock Tavern well they'll get plenty of custom. It was a nice pub and very popular.

I have no connection with Empire.

I wish any new owners who may take over The Cock Tavern well in their new venture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Due to Re-open 10 Feb , The guy who owns the Celt in Talbot st has it turning it into trad Irish pub .:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well the cock tavern did have a good proper session at the front on wednesday night I remember being at it about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Walked past the Cock within the last hour, front door was open with a number of contractors inside. I'd say it'll be back in business by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Hopefully not gone for too , long cracking spot great atmosphere and the best pub grub in Swords, will be absolutely ranging if its shut for good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Hopefully not gone for too , long cracking spot great atmosphere and the best pub grub in Swords, will be absolutely ranging if its shut for good :(

Different owners, different vibe, different grub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

mickmmc wrote: »

That comes across as one serious advertisement for that bar, what was the name again? :D
    sharkman wrote: »
    Due to Re-open 10 Feb , The guy who owns the Celt in Talbot st has it turning it into trad Irish pub .:D:D:D:D:D

It shall be one classy place that abides by all the rules and gets along with both the local residents and Gardai then so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Plenty of activity last 48 hours putting some finishing touches to the place and rumoured to be officially opening this evening according to official cock tavern twitter page!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

ITS OPEN ................:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I walked by a few mins ago.

There was a good crowd inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just passed and delighted to see it hopping once again. I hope it's as good as it used to be. Better have the same wings. Will be able to watch the 6 nations in my favourite bar in swords once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Anyone any idea if there serving food yet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea if there serving food yet?

I checked about three weeks ago and they said it would be sometime in March.

THe new interior looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Food starting this week according to one of the staff last week. Won't have quite as extensive a menu as previously but it's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Great to see that its back :)

Advertisement