Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Dangerization" and cycling

Options
  • 29-05-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭

Don't think we have a thread themed around how road safety promotion can, theoretically, discourage cycling.

This looks interesting:
    http://drianwalker.com/GambleWalkerLaketa-acceptedms.pdf

(I've used Gamble et al.'s spelling of "dangerization" in the thread title. Tell the OED that -ize spellings aren't acceptable if it bothers you.)

Haven't read it in detail, but think some people here might find much of interest in it. Examines how different campaigns alter, if at all, cyclists' and non-cyclists' perception of cycling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eric Pode of Croydon

Life is too shortfor this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Especially if you're a cyclist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Reading the abstract takes about a minute and gives you the gist of it, i.e. cycling advocacy would do better to focus on health and enjoyment aspects of cycling, as safety campaigns don't encourage people to cycle. Seems sensible, particularly in the context of facing a childhood obesity epidemic in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Dangerization - sounds like a American word!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Sound like a word Kelly would make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

the dangerisation of cycling......

Veloton-at-the-Brisbane-to-the-Gold-Coast-Cycle-Challenge.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    (I've used Gamble et al.'s spelling of "dangerization" in the thread title. Tell the OED that -ize spellings aren't acceptable if it bothers you.)

Its the fact that two words are spelt in American english for the University of Bath, I just left it alone after that as it was most likely not peer reviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its the fact that two words are spelt in American english for the University of Bath, I just left it alone after that as it was most likely not peer reviewed
    It's a funny thing, but if you read English prose from the 1600s and 1700s, you'll never see a -ise verb. It's an affectation from French that spread into English. -ize spellings are the original spellings, and etymologically more correct (being derived from a Greek suffix). So the Oxford English Dictionary lists -ize spellings first, and include -ise spellings as variants.

I don't actually use -ize spellings myself generally, unless I'm writing for Americans, but it's more because I don't want to defend myself from people telling me I can't spell, rather than because I think it's more correct.

smacl wrote: »
    Reading the abstract takes about a minute and gives you the gist of it, i.e. cycling advocacy would do better to focus on health and enjoyment aspects of cycling, as safety campaigns don't encourage people to cycle.

They also found that safety campaigns didn't discourage people either, which surprised me, but it's really only an analysis of people's immediate reaction to leaflets with a particular slant. Given that campaigns have been going on for years, attitudes are probably pretty hardened already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Jawgap wrote: »
    the dangerisation of cycling......
    Suprised that got passed the filters, your one on the left is flashing :pac::pac::pac:
    I don't actually use -ize spellings myself generally, unless I'm writing for Americans, but it's more because I don't want to defend myself from people telling me I can't spell, rather than because I think it's more correct.

As a scientist, I can assure you, my ability to spell is terrible. I always thought the -ize was American so I always went and ignored auto corrects recommendations on reports.

The more you know I suppose, and knowing is half the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's a funny thing, but if you read English prose from the 1600s and 1700s, you'll never see a -ise verb. It's an affectation from French that spread into English. -ize spellings are the original spellings, and etymologically more correct (being derived from a Greek suffix). So the Oxford English Dictionary lists -ize spellings first, and include -ise spellings as variants.

Jefferson re-codified the English language for the 'Muricans and introduced or proposed a lot of the typically US spellings and sentence constructions to make things as consistent and simple as possible.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Jefferson re-codified the English language for the 'Muricans and introduced or proposed a lot of the typically US spellings and sentence constructions to make things as consistent and simple as possible.
    I think Noah Webster did a lot of the work too. (Thought nobody ever started spelling 'cloak' 'cloke' or 'machine' 'masheen', which I vaguely recall were some of his suggestions.) In Ireland, people seem to have taken to his changing 'gaol' to 'jail', though it seems less popular in the UK. Even there, nobody writes 'musick' or 'publick' anymore.

However, the -ize spelling wasn't one of their changes to English spelling. The verbs were spelt that way in Britain and Ireland at that time as well, and for some time after.

bazermc wrote: »
    Dangerization - sounds like a American word!!!!!!!!

Sounds like someone made up a word to verbalise the noun danger without knowing that the verb to endanger already existed and was in common use. Should be done for the grammatical equivalent of reckless dangerization ;)

"Endanger" means something different though. "Dangerize" is to increase the perception that something is dangerous, not to put someone in danger.

"Endanger" means something different though. "Dangerize" is to increase the perception that something is dangerous, not to put someone in danger.

In which dictionary though? Doesn't seem to appear in the on-line versions of Merriam-Webster, OED or Collins which to me suggests it is not actually a word in the English language. Wiktionary lists it as follows;
    dangerisation (plural dangerisations)

The attribution of dangerous characteristics to something not particularly dangerous.
    The promotion of cycle helmets causes the dangerisation of cycling.

Given that one of the only on-line definitions uses cycle helmets as a sample of its use suggests an ad hoc term used by the cycling advocacy community from where I'm sitting. Not a great choice for the title of an academic study.

Hence the use of inverted commas around the word. It's a nascent term (and, of course, may disappear in a matter of years).

Hardly invalidates the study itself. (They're perfectly forthright about shortcomings of the study too.)

If you use Duck Duck Go as your search engine, the first results don't mention cycling directly; more to do with fearful child-rearing:
    http://www.creators.com/opinion/lenore-skenazy/what-happens-when-we-dangerize-childhood.html

Think it might come from this book (by extension of the term "dangerism"):
    http://www.amazon.com/Beware-Dangerism-Kindle-Single-ebook/dp/B004K1F3K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310925348&sr=8-1

Whatever about the unlovely appearance of the word, it is a useful concept. For example, 24-hour running news distorts risk perception, and I can't think of a decent, concise term other that "dangerisation" that covers that.

Also, not the most inappropriate title for an academic study ever!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90511761&postcount=3452

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

All words are made up.

I like it - you know exactly what it means without needing it explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

The two big things I find put people off cycling are the perceived danger and the cost. I can't understand either of these reasons.

Cycling is only as expensive as you make it. You can pick up a second hand bike relatively cheap, Lidl & Aldi regularly stock cycling gear and equipment, and the same people who say it's too expensive are generally the same people who are paying for public transport every day in and out of work.

As for the perceived danger, it seems to be people that have no experience of anything other than driving who think it's particularly dangerous. Most cyclists will say it's fine. The focus on safety and the measures that you need to go to to stay alive are important but it'd be good to see some promotion of the benefits.

I generally try to promote the good points to friends and family, but more often than not the reasons above are thrown back as excuses.

sbs2010 wrote: »
    All words are made up.

I like it - you know exactly what it means without needing it explained.

I clearly didn't hence my previous post. To me, dangerization suggests making something dangerous, not making something safe falsely appear dangerous, as there is no part of the word that conveys this falsity. Needs a prefix such as pseudo if that's the intention. I admit to being a pedant, but feel quite strongly that if you're trying to communicate clearly to a broad unknown audience in a given language, you should wherever possible stick to the well understood and defined words that make up that language.

Hence the use of inverted commas around the word. It's a nascent term (and, of course, may disappear in a matter of years).

Hardly invalidates the study itself. (They're perfectly forthright about shortcomings of the study too.)

If you use Duck Duck Go as your search engine, the first results don't mention cycling directly; more to do with fearful child-rearing:
    http://www.creators.com/opinion/lenore-skenazy/what-happens-when-we-dangerize-childhood.html

Doesn't invalidate the study at all, it merely makes the title somewhat ambiguous. Never heard of Duck Duck Go as a search engine before this, but see it rates number 11 among most popular search engines out there. Learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Dangerification? Or what about just verbing "danger"? The dangering of cycling...

Grammar is much more interesting than road safety.

niceonetom wrote: »

Alot more dangerous as well, more people have died over words, their intention and often their misunderstanding than will ever be injured by cycling.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Dangerification? Or what about just verbing "danger"? The dangering of cycling...

Dontovertakeleftturningtrucksontheinsideification?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

This seems relevant to the actual topic, rather than the language of the title:

9136661513_df5c60f306_o.png

Apologies for the big pic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

those stats are meaningless. they don't specify whether they're based on exposure or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

What happens if you use your car for leisure?

Advertisement