Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genesis bikes

• 29-05-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Was looking at the current range of genesis bikes and couldnt help but notice that they are now made using different tubing.

Has anyone had first hand experience of the new frames with mjoinir tubing. I see that they still offer reynolds on some frames. I was going to get a new bike and am not so sure about it now as it looks like the accountants were in to genesis hq.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I don't really think you can *sense* any difference in the way they handle - at least between similar model made with Reynolds and their new steel. I'm pretty sure they design frames for specific stiffness / response and even if the new tubing has different characteristics in this regard, thickness of tubes has been adjusted to maintain the same ride quality / sensation, in example between different CdF models. I'd expect some weight difference if the new steel is "inferior", but that's all.

I have Croix de Fer 2014 built from Reynolds 725, but would not hesitate to replace it with a newer frameset on Mjornir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Alek wrote: »
    I have Croix de Fer 2014 built from Reynolds 725, but would not hesitate to replace it with a newer frameset on Mjornir.

It was the tour de fer I was looking at.

Like yourself I have a genesis, but mines an equilibrium and I am extremely happy with it. Its just a little niggle I have regarding the brand... why change a winning formula and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Not sure if it's related or not, but Genesis purchase prices seem to have been going up, including on UK sites (so I don't think it's related to exchange rate). The Equilibrium disc I bought last year is now several hundred euro dearer. I'd have to question their value for money at this stage.

why change a winning formula and all that?

What if Mjornir is actually better / lighter than equivalent Reynolds, at lower price?

They need to improve things, both for the user and for themselves - they are business that needs to make money after all ;)

Alek wrote: »
    What if Mjornir is actually better / lighter than equivalent Reynolds, at lower price?

Absolutely, Id love to know if it is better.

• Advertisement

I don't know if we ever learn this, as this tubing seems to be their house brand.

It is most likely re-branded as I can't imagine Madison being able to buy a steel factory ;)

outfox wrote: »
    Not sure if it's related or not, but Genesis purchase prices seem to have been going up, including on UK sites (so I don't think it's related to exchange rate). The Equilibrium disc I bought last year is now several hundred euro dearer. I'd have to question their value for money at this stage.

Ive noticed that too, which is partly why Im a little sceptical as to why they would introduce another line of tubing over the reynolds which is tried and tested.

Its just a little off putting. Id love to hear from somebody who owns a new genesis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ive noticed that too, which is partly why Im a little sceptical as to why they would introduce another line of tubing over the reynolds which is tried and tested.

Its just a little off putting. Id love to hear from somebody who owns a new genesis.

Possibly just for a bit of product separation, where they're keeping their high end bike with Reynolds (e.g. CdF stainless, 20 & 30) and have Mjolnir lower down (e.g. CdF 10). While I love the look of these bikes, I found I could get a more bang for my buck elsewhere.

smacl wrote: »
    Possibly just for a bit of product separation, where they're keeping their high end bike with Reynolds (e.g. CdF stainless, 20 & 30) and have Mjolnir lower down (e.g. CdF 10). While I love the look of these bikes, I found I could get a more bang for my buck elsewhere.

True, they have become less competitive price wise.

I got my equilibrium for give or take e1000 delivered from evans. At that time I could not find a steel bike as competitively priced. In fact it compared well to other alu bikes from irish suppliers.

Im not a fan of the new paint jobs either... lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Im not a fan of the new paint jobs either... lol.

+1. The auld classic look seems to have been steamrolled over by the brash new bold colour scheme. That's progress for you.
    Mine is yellow, and after 6 months I still can't decide if I like it or hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

i have a volare 931- adore it..
    but if im honest i wouldt buy one in the new tubesets
    i bought it for a reason - proven track record of reynolds steel..
    there is no denying that their geometries are excellent- BUT there is more to a steel bike than the geometry... the steel must be good- excellent in fact if im gona hand over the cash for it
    reynolds 725 equilibriums are excellent comfort wise down to years of fine tuning the metal both scientifically and practically..
    i have 2 genesis ...but i wont have a 3rd if the model i like is not available in reynolds..

Just as I mention it and sing the praises of the frame disaster rears its head... seized seatpost... sigh.

Advertisement