Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Memory Upgrade

Options
  • 29-05-2015 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Have a Dell Vostro 3500 laptop, maybe 4 years old. i5 (M 460 @ 2.53GHz), 4BG RAM, Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit OS.

I'd like to upgrade the RAM to 8GB.

1. Can my system take 8GB?
    2. If so, could I buy another 4GB and add it or do I need a single 8GB unit?
    3. I've never bought RAM before, which one suits me? Different sizes? spec?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-vostro-3500-15-6-core-i5-520m-windows-7-pro-64-bit-4-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd/specs/

1. Can my system take 8GB?
    Memory
    Max Supported Size 8 GB
    Technology DDR3 SDRAM
    Speed 1066 MHz / PC3-8500
    Form Factor SO DIMM 204-pin
    Slots Qty 2

2. If so, could I buy another 4GB and add it or do I need a single 8GB unit?
    1 little google search...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dell+vostro+3500+memory+upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

Many thanks Asmooh. So to explain like I'm 5...

It supports 8GB and has two memory slots? Is my current 4GB in one slot or 2 x 2GBs?
    So DDR3 204-pin is what I'm looking for when selecting new memory?

AstraOwner wrote: »
    Many thanks Asmooh. So to explain like I'm 5...

It supports 8GB and has two memory slots? Is my current 4GB in one slot or 2 x 2GBs?
    So DDR3 204-pin is what I'm looking for when selecting new memory?

Is my current 4GB in one slot or 2 x 2GBs?
    Only you can answer this question by opening the laptop, if there is only 1 you have one slot.
    If you have 2, it will be 2x2GB.

Example: I have 1x8GB in my HP

Yes, Layout is 2x4 GB
    And yes, that is normal SO-DIMM DDR3 (laptop standard) if you open the laptop you can check what is the brand of the memory in case you want exactly the same (not really needed)

Thanks again. Just opened it and it's 2x2GB.

So I take it the options are 2x4GB or 1x8GB? Is there any difference/preferable/cheapest option?
    I'm pretty sure I can't run uneven memories, is that correct? ie, if I bought an 8GB I can't leave a 2GB in with it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks again. Just opened it and it's 2x2GB.

So I take it the options are 2x4GB or 1x8GB? Is there any difference/preferable/cheapest option?
    I'm pretty sure I can't run uneven memories, is that correct? ie, if I bought an 8GB I can't leave a 2GB in with it?

Go for 2x4GB to benefit from dual channel memory. It should be cheaper anyway.
    It's likely 2x4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM you need but do pop the RAM modules out and confirm this from the sticker.
    Some motherboards are very picky when it comes to memory so try to match the RAM timings as well. E.g: PC3-10600. Should also be on the memory module sticker.

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Go for 2x4GB to benefit from dual channel memory. It should be cheaper anyway.
    It's likely 2x4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM you need but do pop the RAM modules out and confirm this from the sticker.
    Some motherboards are very picky when it comes to memory so try to match the RAM timings as well. E.g: PC3-10600. Should also be on the memory module sticker.

Nick

Thank you kindly Nick. Here's what I have (damn that's big!):

So as you predicted, it's PC3-10600 I need? And are these SO-DIMM (or was that just a pop at me? :) )

2eajqzs.jpg

Yes, just get 2x4GB SO-DIMM DDR3 PC 10600 or 1333Mhz (its the same but different name)

Thanks a lot guys.

Last question is where is the go to place for memory? Somewhere kind on the pocket! I'm not in the city so I'll be buying online. I had a look at eBay and Amazon and a lot seem to be used or refurbished.

Thanks a lot guys.

Last question is where is the go to place for memory? Somewhere kind on the pocket! I'm not in the city so I'll be buying online. I had a look at eBay and Amazon and a lot seem to be used or refurbished.

Well I order everything from Holland because its cheap and I have an apartement in Holland so it's easy. But most people from ireland buy from http://www.hardwareversand.de/

Asmooh wrote: »
    Well I order everything from Holland because its cheap and I have an apartement in Holland so it's easy. But most people from ireland buy from http://www.hardwareversand.de/

Great, looks good. So it's anything from this page?

And this will suit me fine? (EDIT: Actually no, they're 240 pin. I need 204 don't I?)

(There's more to these than I would have guessed!)

• Advertisement

Great, looks good. So it's anything from this page?

And this will suit me fine?

(There's more to these than I would have guessed!)
    No.

But I can only find 2GB SO-DIMM on it, and correct it needs to say "SODIMM"

This do? It says for Mac but looks like the numbers are right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

This do?

Have a look on memoryc.com as well. Free delivery

This do? It says for Mac but looks like the numbers are right to me.

will work but its slower memory 8500 vs 10600

This?

yes.

Asmooh wrote: »
    yes.

Excellent! :D I made hard work of that.

Thanks a lot guys.

Advertisement