Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy hour

Options
  • 29-05-2015 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Why are some pubs/bars such as Capitol lounge able to offer happyhour-like offers. For example, "between 5pm and 8pm, 2 cocktails are only 6 euro." I was under the impression that Happy hour is illegal. I'm not sure if it is better to ask it here or in legal discussion so mods please feel free to move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's illegal to decrease it during the day (if the initial advertised price is higher) so what most places do is at the start of the day the advertised price is 3 euro. Then they raise it to normal prices until 5 and then back to it's earlier price on the day (3 euro) and then increase later at 8pm.

Nothing wrong with changing the prices at different times, eg. bars around Temple Bar increase their prices every hour after a certain point.

That's my understanding of it anyway, I could be way off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Caliden wrote: »
    That's my understanding of it anyway, I could be way off.
    No, you're absolutely right. The exact words are "A licensee shall not supply intoxicating liquor on the licensed premises at a reduced price during a limited period on any day."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^

but thats what they're doing isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Answer in here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72621734

You can increase as the day goes on but not decrease.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement