Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological and biomedical sciences

• 29-05-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Has anyone done this course in Maynooth university that can give me an insight into it? I'm thinking of putting it on my cao on first choice but only found it last night. Really want to do something to do with biology and I've always loved science in school. Is it worth it? Any opinion is useful! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LittleMissD

I've just finished this course and I absolutely loved it. It's tough work but well worth it if you love Biology. For first year, you do 4 subjects Biology and Biological Science and then Maths and a third subject, either another science like Chemistry or Physics or an Arts subject. One thing is that if you do the arts subject, you need to Keep Maths on in 2nd year. Some people get caught out with that and maths can be difficult for some.

That being said, the variety of Biology modules you do is amazing and you do modules that general science or other degrees don't get a chance to do. So, you do some 3rd year biology modules in 2nd year and the same in 3rd. You also get to narrow down your module choices in 3rd and 4th year to either be more biological science based or biomedical based.

The class group is generally smaller (usually 50-70ish) which is a big help, especially in first year, when your general science modules could have a few hundred people. They've been revamping the course so it's best to double check the course finder on the website where you can get a better idea of the breakdown of each year. Plus, if you had any questions, I'd suggest emailing Kevin Kavanagh who is the course coordinator. He's lovely and sure to answer any questions you might have.

I hope you do end up choosing Maynooth, it's an amazing college and I had the best time ever there. Hopefully this helps and I didn't confuse you. If you have any other
    questions just send me a message. I'll try and help the best I can! Good luck with your exams :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

I've just finished this course and I absolutely loved it. It's tough work but well worth it if you love Biology. For first year, you do 4 subjects Biology and Biological Science and then Maths and a third subject, either another science like Chemistry or Physics or an Arts subject. One thing is that if you do the arts subject, you need to Keep Maths on in 2nd year. Some people get caught out with that and maths can be difficult for some.

That being said, the variety of Biology modules you do is amazing and you do modules that general science or other degrees don't get a chance to do. So, you do some 3rd year biology modules in 2nd year and the same in 3rd. You also get to narrow down your module choices in 3rd and 4th year to either be more biological science based or biomedical based.

The class group is generally smaller (usually 50-70ish) which is a big help, especially in first year, when your general science modules could have a few hundred people. They've been revamping the course so it's best to double check the course finder on the website where you can get a better idea of the breakdown of each year. Plus, if you had any questions, I'd suggest emailing Kevin Kavanagh who is the course coordinator. He's lovely and sure to answer any questions you might have.

I hope you do end up choosing Maynooth, it's an amazing college and I had the best time ever there. Hopefully this helps and I didn't confuse you. If you have any other
    questions just send me a message. I'll try and help the best I can! Good luck with your exams :-)

That really helped thank you so much, I'm definitely going to put it down first! I just hope I get the points now, thank you again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 RosemaryMcC

Is it a big disadvantage not to have lc chemistry or honours maths for this course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 RosemaryMcC

Is it a big disadvantage not to have lc chemistry or honours maths for this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

I'm doing neither but hoping I don't struggle if I do eventually get the course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

What job(s) would you be qualified for if you complete this course? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Freeforever

What job(s) would you be qualified for if you complete this course? :)

One thing I noticed about this course is that you will not be qualified to work as a biomedical scientist, you will be like any other science graduate because there isnt enough lab work as required to register with ACSLM (Academy of Clinical Science and Laboratory Medicine) .

I picked this course for my first choice too , I am eager to know what type of jobs will graduates get from this course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Freeforever

Do you mind if I ask , Did you get employment after you graduated from this job ? Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi Freeforever,

Because you've posted in here I have deleted your other two threads and we can just let this thread be the main discussion.

XxMCRxBabyxX

Advertisement