Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup 2015

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

A friend of mine is very torn re tomorrow night. The sad fúcker has missed 2 games in the last 10 years. 2 games. Home or away. He literally takes no holidays during the season for fear he would miss a moments CCFC action in the LOI.

Anyway, should City beat SPA the 1/4 final will clash with his brothers wedding.

So does he hope for the win and have the gawks at the thought of missing a game or will he be a SPA fan for the night?

I doubt he has much to worry about. Pats will do a proper number on us tmr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Don't think you can win a 'your players are dirtier than our players' argument right now.
    Ha ha! I'm not looking to win one. Brennan's a hothead and is quite likely to do something stupid if we play Pats again this season. He's got sent off twice against us in the last few meetings.

In saying that though if it were a ''your players are dirtier than our players' argument Pats would be runaway 5-1 winners . Five men sent off against us in our last six premier division games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pighead wrote: »
    Ha ha! I'm not looking to win one. Brennan's a hothead and is quite likely to do something stupid if we play Pats again this season. He's got sent off twice against us in the last few meetings.

In saying that though if it were a ''your players are dirtier than our players' argument Pats would be runaway 5-1 winners . Five men sent off against us in our last six premier division games.
    But then your players can get away with little things like kicking lads in the face when they're lying on the ground.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    But then your players can get away with little things like kicking lads in the face when they're lying on the ground.
    I counted that as a red! Hence the 5-1! Isolated incident in any case unless you can refresh my memory and tell me of another similar case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Not looking forward to watching our game on astroturf tomorrow. I haven't been to the Clontarf astro before but from all accounts its just a caged pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

C'mon Tolka Rovers!

.........large sum on Killester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Not sure what to expect from Bohs tonight. It just can't be any worse than Monday's crap fest out in the Carlisle Grounds.

This is the only meaningful game we have left arguably. Can't go anywhere in the league so this has to be the focus from all involved.

We've a decent record against Bray at Dalyer but Bray have been in good form and have beaten us a few days ago.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a score draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

C'mon Tolka Rovers.

I agree! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Brutal being out of the cup.

No game for 8 days now.

Then 3 big league games in 7 days. :(

• Advertisement

Anyone have any money on Sherriff this evening? They like this particular round of the cup after their heroics 4 years ago which was not at all shady or dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I'd be expecting people to lump on Sheriff

Its there extra time tonight or is there still replays in the FAI Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

gimmick wrote: »
    Its there extra time tonight or is there still replays in the FAI Cup?

Replays next Monday/Tuesday I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

We've just collapsed in the second half after playing well in the first half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Cold dead hands, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

When we went 1-0 up I said we'd lose 4-1. I wish I'd bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Only Dublin sides left in the conpetition are non league outfits.

#GreatestCupInTheWorld

As long as we avoid Dundalk now I'm happy with whatever draw we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

gimmick wrote: »
    As long as we avoid Dundalk now I'm happy with whatever draw we get.

Home game with them would be ideal, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CSF wrote: »
    Home game with them would be ideal, no?

Given our record against them, no .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

kksaints wrote: »
    Third Round Fixtures this weekend.

Friday August 21st

Cork City vs St Patrick's Athletic 7 25pm Live on RTE 2
    Sherriff YC vs Athlone Town 7 45pm
    Bohemians vs Bray Wanderers 7 45pm
    Derry City vs Drogheda United 7 45pm
    Galway United vs Dundalk 7 45pm
    Tolka Rovers vs Killester United 7 45pm

Saturday August 22nd

Cockhill Celtic vs Longford Town 5 00pm
    Cobh Wanderers vs Sligo Rovers 7 00pm

Tie of the round is Cork vs Pats. Both teams had bad results on Monday and have some injuries. Almost sure that both our main strikers are out. So it could be Greene or Langley upfront. Have a feeling that this will end in a draw tomorrow night and will go for a replay on Monday which Im hopefully but not confident that we will go through.

Other tie that really stands out is Galway vs Dundalk. Galway knocked out Dundalk in the EA Sports cup semi final but Dundalk played a reserve team and Kenny wont be so compleacent this time. Dundalk also destroyed us in the first half on Monday while Galway drew against Drogheda. Galway also have a few players missing I think so I reckon Dundalk will go through quite comfortably.

Bohs and Bray is a repeat from Monday night which Bray won 3-1 although that was in the Carlisle Grounds. Bray are in good form recently so I think they might go through. Derry and Drogheda is the other all Premier Division tie. Drogheda are in terrible form atm and while Derry's revival has gone a bit awry in the last two matches, they have played better in the last few weeks. Still a tough one to predict.

Longford and Sligo should have no real issues getting past Cockhill and Cobh Wanderers. While Sherriff could cause a shock against Athlone who havent improved since Matthews joined while Sherriff knocked out UCD in the last round. I know nothing about Tolka Rovers and Killester so cant really say anything about it.

As someone on the backroom staff at Cockhill, I hope your wrong about our game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

As a Pat's fan, can i just say THAT'S A FAKE RESULT!!!!

Ah in fairness, what can i say. It wasn't a four nil. I'd be disappointed just to lose it, but four nil was ridiculous. I just don't know what happened.

Credit to Cork, they put away the chances when they came to them and they deserved to win in the end, of course they did.

We had plenty of chances but did f*ck all with them. That's what happens when you leave yourself with one striker at the club who has missed the majority of the season through injury.

Anyway, the League Cup is where it's at.............

Best of luck to Cork for the rest of the tournament. Rather them than Dundalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Given our record against them, no .

Can't see anyone else knocking them out for you so better to get them with home advantage than neutral venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

C'mon Tolka Rovers!

.........large sum on Killester.

Thanking you Killester!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

monkey9 wrote: »

Best of luck to Cork for the rest of the tournament. Rather them than Dundalk.
    yeoooooooooooooooooo

Sure to win it now thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Sean Gannon with a superb goal tonight after a build up that must have been close to 30 passes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

anncoates wrote: »
    Brutal being out of the cup.

No game for 8 days now.

Then 3 big league games in 7 days. :(

Bray going through as well now means no game for two weeks, then 3 games in seven days then no games for two weeks as that Bray home game can't be played.

Bray must be one of the form teams in the league, might be a good thing putting off playing them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dfx- wrote: »
    Bray must be one of the form teams in the league, might be a good thing putting off playing them:)

Yeah would have liked to play them originally when they were on the ropes and also to Oriel when they were having a relative mini wobble but that said, we seem to have stumbled on the right formation in the meantime and have players coming (or have come) back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hoping the draw for the next round goes in our favour, this season is turning out ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bohs were absolutely poisonous last night. Head tennis and no creativity or desire. Absolutely pathetic performance against Bray yet again.

We can't make any excuses for ourselves but that ref was an absolute shítebag. Fúcking hell.

The standard of refereeing isn't exactly great across the league but that ref last night was an absolute disgrace.

They waste time after 4 minutes of the bloody game. Ref not sorting out the wall for free kicks. Allowing that thug David Scully to get elbows in on our lot without a warning and should have been sent off. Bray man down on the ground, they play on. We get the ball back and are on the attack and THEN he blows it up for their man to get "treatment".

Pure shíte and added to a night of pure frustration.

Season pretty much over for us. Nothing to play for unless they suddenly announce fixtures for the Leinster Senior Cup.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Bohs were absolutely poisonous last night. Head tennis and no creativity or desire. Absolutely pathetic performance against Bray yet again.

We can't make any excuses for ourselves but that ref was an absolute shítebag. Fúcking hell.

The standard of refereeing isn't exactly great across the league but that ref last night was an absolute disgrace.

They waste time after 4 minutes of the bloody game. Ref not sorting out the wall for free kicks. Allowing that thug David Scully to get elbows in on our lot without a warning and should have been sent off. Bray man down on the ground, they play on. We get the ball back and are on the attack and THEN he blows it up for their man to get "treatment".

Season pretty much over for us. Nothing to play for unless they suddenly announce fixtures for the Leinster Senior Cup.

Stop that! The season's over. That's like celebrating the Carling Nations Cup that Ireland won a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That_Guy wrote: »

Agree with you there... We started well but that "goal" knocked the wind out of the sails I thought...

Not sure how it was only 4 minutes added on since scully was on the ground longer than that getting treated.

The ref and the link had one of the worst displays I've ever seen. A lot of decisions made absolutely no sense at all. Very disappointing all round.

Bray offered nothing last night and neither did we.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Agree with you there... We started well but that "goal" knocked the wind out of the sails I thought...

Not sure how it was only 4 minutes added on since scully was on the ground longer than that getting treated.

The ref and the lino had one of the worst displays I've ever seen. A lot of decisions made absolutely no sense at all. Very disappointing all round.

Bray offered nothing last night and neither did we.

Not usually one to go in for this type of thing but he was an absolute fcucking clown of the highest order. Worst official I've ever seen. 4 minutes was a joke, the amount of time wasting from Bray was a disgrace. Not blaming them btw, the referee or assistants should have been on that after the first couple of times. 4 minutes should have been doubled, at the least. As for the goal, well I'll reserve judgement but it was definately the oddest one I've ever seen. From literally nothing. Disgusted isn't the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Seen bits of the game in crappy still o vision on the worst wifi ever.

Dont really know how bad we were 2nd half, pats fans want everyone out :rolleyes:

We will be grand, this season and next. Once its not another 50 odd years :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dalymount on RTE there, in real time it looked a ghost goal, paused off the post, a maybe :pac:

All four Quarter Finals are on tomorrow evening.

Friday 11th September
    Dundalk vs Sligo Rovers 19.25 Live on RTE 2
    Bray Wanderers vs Killester United 19 45
    Derry City vs Cork City 19.45
    Longford Town vs Sheriff YC 20.00

Dundalk vs Sligo is the main match tomorrow. If this had been played a month ago Dundalk would be easy winners against what was at the time a very poor Sligo team. But recently since the arrival of Mickey Adams they have been much improved and drew with Dundalk 2-2 in Oriel last Saturday night. Its not going to be easy for Dundalk but they have been the best team by far in the league this season and I think they will go through tomorrow maybe 2-1 or 1-0.

Derry vs Cork is the other all Premier Division tie. Derry form while it has improved since the middle of the season is still questionable. A great 1-0 victory in Inchicore after being reduced to 10 men in the first half was followed by an awful performance to a previously out of form Drogheda in the Brandywell. Cork's recent form is not as good as it had been before the losses to Limerick and Shams in August and a disappointing draw to Bray last weekend has probably killed off their title challenge barring a Dundalk collapse. Cork still should have enough to go through but it is tougher for them having to go to the Brandywell.

Longford vs Sheriff is the most interesting of the Premier Vs Non-League ties. Sheriff are a very good junior side and have already beaten two First Divison sides in UCD and Athlone. Longford is another step up but they are not in goood form with only three wines since the Summer break one of which was against Cockhill Celtic in the previous round. If there is going to be a major shock in this round it could easily be in this match.

I'm not entirely sure what level Killester are at but they comfortably beat Cobh Ramblers in the second round and were also very easy winners against a weakened Tolka Rovers in the last round so they aren't bad. However it still very hard to see them going through against a compact Bray Wanderers side who should win by at least two or three.

All four Quarter Finals are on tomorrow evening.

Friday 11th September
    Dundalk vs Sligo Rovers 19.25 Live on RTE 2
    Bray Wanderers vs Killester United 19 45
    Derry City vs Cork City 19.45
    Longford Town vs Sheriff YC 20.00

Dundalk vs Sligo is the main match tomorrow. If this had been played a month ago Dundalk would be easy winners against what was at the time a very poor Sligo team. But recently since the arrival of Mickey Adams they have been much improved and drew with Dundalk 2-2 in Oriel last Saturday night. Its not going to be easy for Dundalk but they have been the best team by far in the league this season and I think they will go through tomorrow maybe 2-1 or 1-0.
    No, we'll beat them by more than a goal tomorrow. You can take that to the bank. Dominated them last week and conceded two freak goals. Lightening won't strike twice. 3-0 to the good guys.

Some trek for us tomorrow, I've the day booked off so I'll be driving up in a full car, and theres a bus heading up aswell so should be a handy enough City crowd. Team head up today and staying overnight so they will be well rested for tomorrow.

On a side note, funny that Mark McNulty mentioned in an interview with the Sun yesterday that during the golden years 0f 2005 to 2008 City used to charted a flight to Derry every season. No wonder we went wallop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stupid cup tbh

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Some trek for us tomorrow, I've the day booked off so I'll be driving up in a full car, and theres a bus heading up aswell so should be a handy enough City crowd. Team head up today and staying overnight so they will be well rested for tomorrow.

On a side note, funny that Mark McNulty mentioned in an interview with the Sun yesterday that during the golden years 0f 2005 to 2008 City used to charted a flight to Derry every season. No wonder we went wallop.

#WorstLeagueInTheWorld.

Less of that stuff and more of managers asking supporters for lifts and Keith Buckley cycling his bike.

Didnt realise Cork could be missing some amount of players tonight. Kavanagh, Dunleavy, Beattie and Folan definitely out with Healy, Miller and Bennett all doubtful. Still think they will go through.

Didnt realise Cork could be missing some amount of players tonight. Kavanagh, Dunleavy, Beattie and Folan definitely out with Healy, Miller and Bennett all doubtful. Still think they will go through.

Aside from Beattie and Folan being cup tied, we have had some amount of injuries over the last two years. If you take last season and this season we must be at the top of the injury table (we're gonna win the league :( ). Its gotten so bad that theres murmerings of what the fcuk are they doing in training.

On tonight, I'd happily take a draw and bring Derry down here next Monday. If one of Dundalk or City do go out tonight, you have to think that basically the cup over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Aside from Beattie and Folan being cup tied, we have had some amount of injuries over the last two years. If you take last season and this season we must be at the top of the injury table (we're gonna win the league :( ). Its gotten so bad that theres murmerings of what the fcuk are they doing in training.

On tonight, I'd happily take a draw and bring Derry down here next Monday. If one of Dundalk or City do go out tonight, you have to think that basically the cup over.

Get yourself a plastic pitch. Works wonders for us :rolleyes:

Hardly any injuries.

Get yourself a plastic pitch. Works wonders for us :rolleyes:

Hardly any injuries.

Either that or get the players to size down with the jerseys like yer fellas do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Just sitting here watching the build up to the Dundalk / Sligo game and have to say Keith fahey reminds me of one of them bobble heads that do be in cars it's really hypnotic to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Even with the injuries, I never remember many matches where I thought 'could be up against it' because of them. Most of the matches we've had teams out well good enough to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If Derry beat Cork and we manage to scrape by Dundalk then things will get interesting. Huge opportunity.

Well f*ck. 1-0 Dundalk :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oat23 wrote: »
    If Derry beat Cork and we manage to scrape by Dundalk then things will get interesting. Huge opportunity.

With keeping like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Brush has had a nightmare 2nd half.

Sligo were really awful in the second half. Dundalk will be hard to beat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement