Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Alcohol

Options
  • 29-05-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I am going to import alcoholic drinks from Germany. I think I will be able to sell the product to pubs/restaurants in Ireland.

I am trying to do up a budget to see if it will work as a commercial enterprise but I have no idea on the charges for importing the goods.

I have four queries:

1. Am I right in thinking that VAT must be paid on the product on entry to Ireland?

2. It is wise to get an agent to do the paperwork or are they for big importers only i.e. is the cost prohibitive for small operators?

3. What is the VRT or whatever they call the charge on importing alcoholic produce - this product is 40% alcohol.

4. Will I have to submit the product for testing along the way? I assume that you can't just sell the public stuff from a bottle. Is there some sort of registration process with a government agency to ensure the product's safety before sale to the public?

I will doff my cyber cap to anyone who has any knowledge of this area.

Comments

Advertisement