Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics and the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Options
  • 29-05-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭

Went on holidays recently and i read the following Marvel Comics in order of the following:

INFINITY #1 (of 6)
    INFINITY: Against the Tide #1
    INFINITY: Against the Tide #2
    Avengers #18
    Avengers Assemble #18
    Captain Marvel #15
    Mighty Avengers #1
    Mighty Avengers #2
    Might Avengers #3
    INFINITY: Heist #1 (of 4)
    Nova #8
    Thunderbolts #14
    Thunderbolts #15
    Thunderbolts #16
    Nova #9
    New Avengers #9
    INFINITY #2
    Avengers #19
    INFINITY: The Hunt #1 (of 4)
    INFINITY: The Hunt #2 (of 4)
    New Avengers #10
    INFINITY: The Hunt #3 (of 4)
    INFINITY: The Hunt #4 (of 4)
    INFINITY #3 (of 6)
    Captain Marvel #16
    Avengers Assemble #19
    Avengers #20
    Thunderbolts #17
    Thunderbolts #18
    INFINITY: Heist #2 (of 4)
    Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #3
    Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #4
    INFINITY: Heist #3 (of 4)
    INFINITY #4 (of 6)
    Avengers #21
    Fearless Defenders #10
    Secret Avengers #10
    Secret Avengers #11
    Avengers Assemble #20
    INFINITY: Heist #4 (of 4)
    New Avengers #11
    Guardians of the Galaxy #8
    INFINITY #5 (of 6)
    Avengers #22
    Avengers #23
    Guardians of the Galaxy #9
    INFINITY #6 (of 6)
    New Avengers #12
    Wolverine and the X-Men Annual #1

I then read The Thanos Quest and I am now moving on to
    The Infinity Gauntlet and the Infinity War

Is there anything else I should be looking at that would possibly inform the plots of future films?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Next MCU movie is based on Civil War. Google a reading list and have at. I really enjoyed most of the arc. I've stayed away from plot-points about upcoming MCU movies but they're obviously gonna focus largely around the Infinity Gauntlet.

You could read origin stories for any of the upcoming hero movies. Ant-Man Season One would be a good shout cos it's a Hank Pym origin story and I'm guessing there won't be too much of that in the upcoming movie. Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel is great. Also, all the MCU movies have prelude comics that are released several months before the films so they're a nice run-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Next MCU movie is based on Civil War. Google a reading list and have at. I really enjoyed most of the arc. I've stayed away from plot-points about upcoming MCU movies but they're obviously gonna focus largely around the Infinity Gauntlet.

You could read origin stories for any of the upcoming hero movies. Ant-Man Season One would be a good shout cos it's a Hank Pym origin story and I'm guessing there won't be too much of that in the upcoming movie. Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel is great. Also, all the MCU movies have prelude comics that are released several months before the films so they're a nice run-in.

Read the civil war comics alright. Never thought about the Captain Marvel. Captain Danvers was in the above comics but there was no origin story so I'll look her up.

Never thought of Ant man either. In the cartoons it was always Hank Pym and the avengers. Can you point me where I can find the Scott Laing origin?

I don't know if there's a collected origin story GN that you could read. He first appeared in Avengers 181 so you could start there. Tbh, the latest run of Ant-Man is only 5 issues in and it's loads of fun so you'd be as well reading that to get a sense of Lang's Ant-Man. The movie prelude comic focuses on Pym but it's also a fun read and, since we won't get Pym as Ant-Man in the movie, it's well worth a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

There's an Ant-Man: Scott Lang book out next month.
    Amazon wrote:
    Meet 2015's silver screen sensation in waiting -Scott Lang, the astonishing Ant-Man! To save his daughter Cassie's life, Scott is forced to return to a life of crime, stealing Hank Pym's original costumed identity. But when his noble intentions win the Avengers' approval, he takes over as the all-new Ant-Man, full-time! Electronics whiz Scott secures a job with Tony Stark, but the size-changing super hero must save Iron Man after a brutal battle with the Hulk. No shrinking violet, Scott holds his own in astonishing adventures with Spider-Man, the Thing and the Avengers...nd when Ant-Man and Hawkeye join forces, somebody' gonna get it!

COLLECTING: Marvel Premiere 47-48; Iron Man (1968) 131-133, 151; Ave nger s (1963) 195-196, 223; Marvel Team-Up (1972) 103; Marvel Two -In-One (1974) 87; materi al from Ave nger s (1963) 181, Iron Man (1968) 125

Are you doing the TV shows as well?

Ridley wrote: »
    There's an Ant-Man: Scott Lang book out next month.

Wasn't aware of this; awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I don't know if there's a collected origin story GN that you could read. He first appeared in Avengers 181 so you could start there. Tbh, the latest run of Ant-Man is only 5 issues in and it's loads of fun so you'd be as well reading that to get a sense of Lang's Ant-Man. The movie prelude comic focuses on Pym but it's also a fun read and, since we won't get Pym as Ant-Man in the movie, it's well worth a look!

Marvel Platinum Collection: Ant-Man which came out last Wednesday covers it and has some great story arcs in it including some of Kirkman's run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Does anywhere say what issues are in the Platinum books?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Seeing the thread title mentions it, I am wondering if we are allowed speculate on the direction of the Phase 3 movies here based upon what we have read in the comics? Maybe a mod might give the all clear?

I notice that in the Films thread people dont want any spoken word about the comics and I got my head chewed for mentioning the comics in the Agents of Shield Thread.

Advertisement