Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis question regarding interviews

• 29-05-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Apologies if someone has already asked this, I can't find it anywhere. For the Masters thesis, I wan't to do qualitative research. I am studying Marketing and I think that the best thing to do would be to develop two different sets of interview questions; one for those working in the industry I am looking at and then one for the consumers of that industry. Is this possible to do or would it be very messy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Of course it is possible to do. You can do essentially what you want.

The question really is whether it is methodologically sound.

Have you determined how you will collect and analyse your data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Thanks for the reply. No, I have just being mainly focusing on primary research. Just started coming up with questions over the past couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

How will you identify potential participants and recruit them? What will you do with the interview data once collected? If you have interviews from two different sets of participants, how will you integrate them? Without knowing anything about your research question, the requirements for your Masters, or how much time you have available, I think you might be better off focusing on either those working in industry, or on consumers. Qualitative data collection and analysis is time-consuming, and by including consumers and professionals you're probably nearly doubling the number of interviews you need to conduct. Probably best to have this discussion with your supervisor though. Best of luck!

Advertisement