Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship advice? Recent graduate

Options
  • 29-05-2015 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm a 21 year old female recent graduate from DCU. I'm so young for a college graduate so I am looking for more life experience in the 'real world'.

I would like to get an internship for a company, perhaps in charity, fashion, or media. However I do not mind if it is a business company.

I studied Communications in DCU and have a lot of retailing experience and volunteering.

Any help, advice and tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't accept an internship for more than 3 months.

Hell, make it 1 month.
    Stop giving companies free labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 veryannoying

I would ideally like a paid internship but I am aware that it's not likely. I just want to get my foot in the door :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Getting "a foot in the door" is all well and grand, just don't let yourself get exploited by scammy owners looking to get free staff.

(I may still be a bit bitter at my own experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Getting "a foot in the door" is all well and grand, just don't let yourself get exploited by scammy owners looking to get free staff.

(I may still be a bit bitter at my own experience)

Unless its some sort of graduate position, I think it will be hard not to get exploited by these internships, which is evident by the dubious job descriptions seen in jobbridge etc

I'm also a recent graduate of DCU (Biotechnology) and I am finding it difficult to get my foot in the door as there's very little opportunities for grads at the moment particularly in life sciences. Hoping it will pick up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you tried looking for a job, rather than an internship?

You're not that young, you are well educated and have some experience. Get a foot in the door by getting a low-ranking job, and work your way up the food chain.

If you tell people that you will work for free, then you're just devaluing the worth of everyone who is working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Yeah, just look for a job.

Advertisement