Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

[Krusty]
    So this afternoon, two suits come up to me and ask me to endorse some new sports utility vehicle.

[Crowd]
    What did you do?

[Homer]
    Don't you hate pants?

[Krusty]
    I threw those two creeps out on their ass.

[Cheering]

Then they followed me home, beggin me to take a test drive.
    And let me tell you, talk about roomy.
    The Canyonero combines the smooth handling of a European sports car with the rugged drivability of a sturdy 4x4.

[Murmuring] - Hey, Krusty, what are you talking about? I thought you said those guys were creeps.

[Krusty]
    Yeah, but that was before I got to know 'em.
    And I'm tellin you, the Canyonero is the Cadillac of automobiles.
    That's Canyonero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

UsedToWait wrote: »
    [Krusty]
    So this afternoon, two suits come up to me and ask me to endorse some new sports utility vehicle.

[Crowd]
    What did you do?

[Homer]
    Don't you hate pants?........

cool story...go here with it.http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=199844&page=32
    .this is the chinese android thread.

your implying im endorsing a SOLD OUT phone with a review a week after the phones sells out! Because that makes sense to do! you cant even find the phone in search anymore on the site i purchased it from.
    I also recommended other phones in the past and never mention any site and i didnt mention any site this time either. Only mentioned the site after as others were discussing the EU warehouse options and timeframes.
    eamonnq wrote: »
    I call BS on this, you 'just ordered it' and it ships 'next day from EU warehouse', but they have 'shipped today from EU warehouse for me' ???

Where did you order from ??
    people even asked me where i ordered from and I didnt say.
    I replied to people 4 times about the device and NEVER mention where im buying from and NEVER mention a price, Your way off here.

Your pathetic. stirring **** on forums when people are just being helpful posting advice, opinions,and reviews.

Go back to quoteing Simpsons somewhere else.

bigmike99 wrote: »
    ships next day from EU warehouse!
    Ill let ye know my feedback on that site ( im not sure we are allowed mention here!!) But they have shipped today from EU warehouse for me.
    I call BS on this, you 'just ordered it' and it ships 'next day from EU warehouse', but they have 'shipped today from EU warehouse for me' ???

Where did you order from ??
    What does it matter to you what 'us guys' think ? You have said you already had ordered the phone, so is it not a bit strange to be asking what people think AFTER you have ordered it ?

I initially meant my BS comment was regarding the seller shipping it when you said they did (or when they said they did), they may well give you a tracking number but that is not even the same as them actually shipping it, but I think from the rest of your posts regarding the phone we all know what we are looking at (one of the reasons your wonderful site was banned from even being mentioned on here a while back.)

Best of luck with your phone, and hopefully you will not have to deal with your wonderful sites customer service as then you will see how wonderful they really are.

Did they give the phone to you for free by any chance ?
    This convo has gone childish and sHilly :pac:

I'm not the only one who is dubious about your effusive praise for this phone and for Gearbest..
    You're aware yourself that posting about them is verboten on here..
    See the post below, which is stickied at the top of this forum..
    Dav wrote:
    Gearbest Shilling on Boards.ie
    For those of you who don't know what shilling is, it's when someone represents a brand/shop/product by making recommendations on their behalf when they have a vested interest - either by virtue of the fact that they're an employee of the shop/brand or they've been offered some sort of reward for it.

There is *NOTHING* more insidious and downright evil on a forum like this than shilling. It completely poisons the well of a resource like our Bargain Alerts forum or this forum if someone thinks that recommendations and "bargains" can't be trusted.

From now on, all references and recommendation for anything from Gearbest are banned across *ALL* of Boards.ie.

Several of the people involved have been permanently site-banned and will never be allowed to return.

So why don't you answer eamonnq's question above.
    Did you receive any discount or other incentive for reviewing this phone?

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I'm not the only one who is dubious about your effusive praise for this phone and for Gearbest..
    You're aware yourself that posting about them is verboten on here..
    See the post below, which is stickied at the top of this forum..

my posts
    Anyone have this phone?
    *lists specs*
    UGLY designs everywhere with cheap looking fake leather at the tp and bottom of rear! (it can be excused for material to have better antenna reception haha)

Anyway despite the cheap looking exterior, the specs are good. It is a bit of a gimmick having multiple "biometric security" features. will i feel like james bond?-NO fingerprint may not be as fast as some newer models, ill have to see. And probably never use the eye and voice unlock.
    The customised UI, now thats another story haha. It is abit ugly and full of **** you dont need(most ZTE bloat should be easy to delete) and i fear from xda threads that any rooting and customising can not go as smoothly as other devices and not worth the risk as its a headcahe finding the original ROM to revert back to.
    If you can get over that (And Im sure there will be people who will love the sleek ZTE UI, though its not to my taste) that its quite a good phone from the reviews Ive seen.
    If i Dont like it, Ill try sell it and get the Ulephone Power for better battery life.

So saying the device is Ugly
    and full of bloatware
    and cant be rooted and would be a headache to try
    and is full of **** you dont need
    and the UI is not to my taste
    saying the fingerprint is likely to be bad
    and has gimmicky features.............this is effusive praise????
    AND going on to say if i dont like it ill get the Ulephone Power instead..a device mentioned in the thread for another random seller.

I listed all its faults and its specs is all and never mentioned where or how much i purchased it for.
    I didnt say where i got it until a helpful review of my my opinions of the device as promised, This review comes a week AFTER device had SOLDOUT! to reply to eamon and others about shipping time taking Longer than i expected again another NEGATIVE!
    and with that you question am i shilling?! someone lists all negatives about a device, gives no information on where or how to purchase the device, puts a review when its Sold out, not available anymore only on other sites. and says it takes longer than expected to deliver and thats me supposed to be promoting a site and sale?

where is my praise for the site? I said I never used it before, my girlfriend did and we waited 8weeks for what was meant to be a Cmas present. I gave NO praise, infact the opposite.

like I said you are way off here so i guess we stop clogging the thread now.

(i only mentioned that site after several others did first and i have only read that sticky until now, I read before it this thread i think saying not to mention names of sites.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Superfly1986

Hey guys,

I was looking into buying this phone myself. I am getting it from AliExpress. The white 32gb starts at €305. It will probably take a few weeks to get but I'll keep you posted here what it is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

In fairness I only wanted to use my glorious pun :D

In fairness I only wanted to use my glorious pun :D

And glorious it was :)
    It was late, and i was tired and emotional - probably should have just pointed it out to a mod for adjudication rather than derailing the thread...
    I've no problem if a mod wants to tidy things up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Buttros

Looking to replace my Lumia Phone with an android... First time buying android and the options are overwhelming.

Looking at these. Any advice welcome, are the makes reputable. This site (oppomart) seems to have been used by others so happy with that.

http://www.oppomart.com/xiaomi-mi5.html/
    32 GB 3 GB Ram Version

http://www.oppomart.com/letv/max2/le-max-2.html
    32 GB 4GB Ram version.
    Concern here is the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack, but it comes with a converter I believe so no issue.... right?

http://www.oppomart.com/phones/vernee-apollo.html
    6GB RAM, 128GB storage... seriously sounds as powerful as my pc... Not sure why I would need 6GB ram on a phone but at the price, why not.

Also timing is not a big issue. Don't mind waiting a month or two even if necessary

Many Thanks

That Vernee looks awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I was on the verge of purchasing the Elephone P9000 until I saw this...

Just signed up for my elecode :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I really dont know why anyone would buy an Elephone, or even an Umi.
    Usually ****e handsets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I have a TCL M2U and the camera on that is fairly decent, am looking to get a new phone though (not sure why, but I am!!), and was looking at the Elephone M3 (not sure I like Elephone though as their 'new releases' were sometimes buggy) or a THL T7 (camera spec is not as good as the M3).

Both have the 2nd sim card OR MicroSD card, so would probably go for the bigger storage of the M3, but bigger battery on the THL T7.

Decisions. Decisions, might just stick with the TCL though, as I would miss the Gyroscope for VR !!

edit: Some sites suggesting that the M3 has the Gyro, so that might sway it for me. Now to find out where to buy it!!

and then I see this: http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/03/elephone-s3s-official-hands-on-video-pops-up-bezels-begone.html
    Mesrine65 wrote: »

Got fed up waiting on the M3 to be available, so ordered the P9000 as was not willing to wait and wait on the S3.

Got an OTA update for the Elephone P9000, installed it working fine, fingerprint scanner working, camera apparently improved (will have to test that!), sound seems better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hey guys,

I was looking into buying this phone myself. I am getting it from AliExpress. The white 32gb starts at €305. It will probably take a few weeks to get but I'll keep you posted here what it is like.

If that's shipping from China you will get stung for customs. Better to buy on Oppomart with European shipping and it will be with you probably sooner and overall cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭beardo81

Got an OTA update for the Elephone P9000, installed it working fine, fingerprint scanner working, camera apparently improved (will have to test that!), sound seems better too.

Son would you recommend the P9000 now after having it for a while? Any observations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I really dont know why anyone would buy an Elephone, or even an Umi.
    Usually ****e handsets
    Have you any links to anything where I can see that for myself, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I would completely avoid any Eelephone. I have the P8000 which had malware installed as part of a ROM update. It took me weeks to figure out where it came from and I spents hours resetting the phone and reinstalling Apps before I found out it was the ROM. A later ROM update fixed the problem but I am staying away from Elephone or Chinese brands in future.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Check the elefone forums.

Id agree about those two brands in particular.
    Elephone bang out way too many devices in a few months instead of concentrating on one good model and having it glitch free before launch. they have so many devices to work on and never customer ready for launch dates, and launch later and ship with a half arsed ROM. that needs weekly updates to fix issues one by one.
    Elephone have lied about parts before(camera brands etc) on more than one occasion. There is reports of malware in some of the older models.
    Anyone thinking about Elephone should check elephone offical forums, perhaps this shows that they have improved or maybe you will mostly complaints, i havnt looked in on it.

Umi did the same with Umi Zero. I had the phone from preorder and had camera and battery problems and batterys expanding(they replaced mine becasue battery blew out cracking back glass) but after a few months they had the frimware working great. They looked promising but again launched 3 more phones while leaking plans for umi zero 2. Why didnt they just release one device inbetween and then concentrate on getting the umo zero 2 perfect and sell just as many units as they would with 3devices combined sales. I guess it makes sense to have the wider range on the market and must work for their sales targets.
    BUT my main point is this leads to devices rushed out with bad build quality control and bad software and firmware faults. Then the company struggles to get the full updates out and having to re update the phones weekly when reports come back of faults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

That Vernee looks awesome!

SIX GIGS OF RAM!!!1one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Kavrocks wrote: »

Various reviews, comments, experiences on the likes of gizchina, gizmochina, androidheadlines etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

Yep, the S3 looks amazing. I almost want to buy it just for that..

By the way, I knew UMi wasn't the best, but Elephone as well? I had an Elephone P6000 and boring software aside it wasn't that bad.
    We'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Check the elefone forums.

Id agree about those two brands in particular.
    Elephone bang out way too many devices in a few months instead of concentrating on one good model and having it glitch free before launch. they have so many devices to work on and never customer ready for launch dates, and launch later and ship with a half arsed ROM. that needs weekly updates to fix issues one by one.
    Elephone have lied about parts before(camera brands etc) on more than one occasion. There is reports of malware in some of the older models.
    Anyone thinking about Elephone should check elephone offical forums, perhaps this shows that they have improved or maybe you will mostly complaints, i havnt looked in on it.

Umi did the same with Umi Zero. I had the phone from preorder and had camera and battery problems and batterys expanding(they replaced mine becasue battery blew out cracking back glass) but after a few months they had the frimware working great. They looked promising but again launched 3 more phones while leaking plans for umi zero 2. Why didnt they just release one device inbetween and then concentrate on getting the umo zero 2 perfect and sell just as many units as they would with 3devices combined sales. I guess it makes sense to have the wider range on the market and must work for their sales targets.
    BUT my main point is this leads to devices rushed out with bad build quality control and bad software and firmware faults. Then the company struggles to get the full updates out and having to re update the phones weekly when reports come back of faults.

I did browse plenty of forums regarding the P9000, most people seem really happy with the phone. No malware or bloatware, apart from some Chinese apps you can just uninstall.

Like many Chinese brands it does seem they stepped up their game in the last few years.

Had 2 Elephones before, they aren't great tbh.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I did browse plenty of forums regarding the P9000, most people seem really happy with the phone. No malware or bloatware, apart from some Chinese apps you can just uninstall.

Like many Chinese brands it does seem they stepped up their game in the last few years.

I have the P9000 and it got an OTA update (dated 20160419), all seems to be working well and am impressed with it, have not tested the camera improvements from the update but the fingerprint is working and no other issues that I am aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

mightyreds wrote: »
    Hi guys ordered the redmi note 3 pro from oppomart last week, chose EU expedited shipping, got an email for my order saying they would email me when shipped, but haven't received an email since, does anyone know if this is normal or has it not shipped yet and will take 8-12 days from the email date

Mightreds, same for me. Ordered it on the 10th April from Oppomart and still waiting for it to ship. I've contacted them several times and they say ask can I wait a week each time. If it doesn't ship by Friday I'm cancelling. Did you get any update?

Preface: I'm awaiting delivery of an UMi Touch.
    I can definitely see your point here but that's not limited to just Elephone and UMi. I can also see why a small company would release a phone that has software issues, particularly when they are selling it so cheaply. They don't have the resources and testing ability the likes of Samsung, LG or HTC do so there comes a point when it is better for them to just release a phone, wait for people to report back and then fix bugs afterwards. All reports I'm hearing from Elephone and UMi lately are that they are releasing regular updates fixing most of the launch problems. This they should be commended for as they could simply ignore the phones after they've been purchased.
    Various reviews, comments, experiences on the likes of gizchina, gizmochina, androidheadlines etc etc
    People are more likely to complain about something than to acknowledge or praise something that's good. A lot of the negativity surrounding cheap Chinese phones appears to be from people expecting the same quality as a $500+ phone in a sub $200 phone. That's just not feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

After much perusal on here I think I've wangled my decision down to the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Mostly for the overall spec but the two critical things for me are Battery (duh) and FM Radio (yes I'm one of those people). Downgraded from a Nexus 5 to a Galaxy Core Prime last year (Don't ask) and it's time to get rid of this piece of crap.

What's UI like on the Redmi?

Anyone got a reason to sway me to something better?

It's sitting around $200ish on Banggood.

---

That TCL M2U is a tempting price!

• Advertisement

After much perusal on here I think I've wangled my decision down to the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Mostly for the overall spec but the two critical things for me are Battery (duh) and FM Radio (yes I'm one of those people).

What's UI like on the Redmi?
    I had it for 3 weeks before selling it on and going back to my Nexus 4. The battery life was exceptional. I got 2 days on a full charge and the FM radio worked as expected although the radio app is quite barebones.

The UI is MIUI which is attempting to mirror iOS. I actually really liked the UI on it, it feels more polished than iOS and is much more vibrant and colourful than stock Android. It is also very customisable and there are numerous themes available. It's quite easy to make a theme or modify an existing one. However, it's the "features" in MIUI that let it down. Some very useful stock Android features are removed like expandable notifications and are replaced with broken implementations of other features which ruined the experience for me. If you can live with the MIUI software under the hood then I'd recommend it but if you can't I'd shop around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement