Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Encryption is a problem with a lot of Chinese phones. I had a brief Google and most can't see an option to encrypt however it seems like yours had the option. It's the shop saying that the phone is bricked when they say is that it's stuck?

Most shops won't have a clue on how to deal with Chinese phones and don't accept any work. I've fixed a good few now for various people and each make is different. Main reason is because there are so many different mtk processors.

From what I can see, most of these companies get a rom to "mostly" work with the processor, sell it and promise upgrades. They then send out a few small updates to "fix" some of the existing problems (if it's an elephone they may also unknowingly include some crapware in the update). The company by this time has already moved onto the next model and continue the cycle again.... Basically, if you want to avoid these problems and encrypt a phone then go for a snapdragon.
    Schnooks wrote: »
    Apologies for the threadjack, but I couldn't find anything on the search function.

I got a BV5000 a few weeks ago and am trying to set it up. It has Android 5.1

I require my phone to be encrypted so I can use work email with Airwatch by VMware.

It is starting the encryption (green android man on screen) and after a min or so, it just goes to the black screen with the Blackview logo like it is starting a power cycle and never starts the encryption properly. It does not get any further, I even left it at this stage overnight, and it did not progress. Tried a few factory resets too, same result when I tried encrypting again.

I gave it to a shop, told them to wipe it or factory reset or whatever was needed. They just contacted me today to say that it is stuck partially encrypted and there is nothing they can do. I texted them back saying again they can wipe it anyway they want, not sure they heard me right when I first dropped it in. Haven't heard back from them yet. But I did do a hard reset while it was stuck in that "almost powering down" stage so I may have screwed it :confused:

Just wondering if there is anything else I could try here? Even download something from the Playstore to encrypt it? I did some research online and it is not rooted if that ,means anything (not sure what it means myself)?

It's actually a nice phone with 16GB internal storage and a great screen. Everything else works great, loads of space for games for the small fella etc.

But it isn't much use to me as a main phone if I cannot encrypt it to read work mails on the go.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated
    S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Trojan wrote: »
    Looking to replace my iPhone 5, want to get something with a decent camera and ideally with NFC. Budget: preferably> €200 delivered, and ideally get it within a week of ordering. Budget stretchable for something awesome. Here's what I've been looking at, any suggestions?
    • OnePlus Two: too expensive and no NFC
    • OnePlus X: expensive, no NFC and my friend's has serious bluetooth problems
    • OnePlus One: expensive but has NFC, older hardware
    • Xiaomi Mi4: price is right but no NFC
    • TCL 3N M2U: price super ($105), recommended above, no NFC, DHL courier delivery available, €165 delivered inc customs
    • Oukitel K6000 Pro Android 6.0 4G phablet 6000mAh: price super (€125), no NFC, mentioned above, no idea on delivery
    • Vernee Thor 4G LTE 5.0inch HD Android 6.0 3GB 16GB: price super ($119), no NFC, I'd expect very slow delivery (3 weeks +)
    • Elephone P8000: ok price (€200 delivered), no NFC, above reports of it being buggy, malware in the OTA update which took a long time to get resolved

I wanted to automate tasks with NFC Task Launcher which a friend of mine uses. Should I forget about the NFC requirement at this price point?
    I went for the Vernee Thor in the end, oppomart.com claim to have it in stock (I'm a little bit sceptical on that, but I confirmed it with them by email). I ordered via express courier, hope to have it by May 8th/9th. Will report back on experience with phone and vendor when it arrives.
    eamonnq wrote: »
    They will tell you anything (like most Chinese sellers) to get the sale, believe them when it shows up, but not before then.

they will probably come up with a tracking number, might not be anything to do with your phone though.

So as Eamonn said, Oppomart.com were lying about having the phone in stock. They tried to string me along with waiting 2 days here, waiting 2 days there. I've started a PayPal dispute... and they've agreed to refund me if (get this) I wait a couple of days.

Now I'm back to looking at different options, but the good news is I can stretch the budget out a bit more, something in the €220-280 price range (delivered). Any recommendations there, ideally with NFC, decent camera and the usual features (4G, gyroscope, etc)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Ulefone Future and Zopo Speed 8 are both mentioned 1 or 2 pages back. Both seem like decent phones,not sure about NFC. Check out their specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

So as Eamonn said, Oppomart.com were lying about having the phone in stock. They tried to string me along with waiting 2 days here, waiting 2 days there. I've started a PayPal dispute... and they've agreed to refund me if (get this) I wait a couple of days.

Now I'm back to looking at different options, but the good news is I can stretch the budget out a bit more, something in the €220-280 price range (delivered). Any recommendations there, ideally with NFC, decent camera and the usual features (4G, gyroscope, etc)?

Just had trouble with oppomart myself phone was in stock when I ordered, 2 weeks later I mailed to see where it was. He mails saying they don't have it in stock and do I want a different one and lists a bunch of cheaper alternatives.
    I said no and opened a dispute, he then mails to say its in stock but not my color, so i said sent it in one of the colors listed. I then get a mail saying it'll be 3 days if i could hold on but i asked for my money back and he refunded it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Tinie wrote: »
    Ulephone power is in stock on gearbest EU warehouse for approx €160 delivered.

Cant link it apparently.

Good deal? Anyone here have this? The battery sounds ridiculously good.

Also how is warranty with gearbest EU warehouse deals? Anyone gone through it before, and if so, was it a headache?

Not sure about the warranty but just getting phone was an absolute nightmare. After a month of lies from customer service i ended up disputing with PayPal to get money back. Avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Schnooks

T-Bird wrote: »
    Encryption is a problem with a lot of Chinese phones. I had a brief Google and most can't see an option to encrypt however it seems like yours had the option. It's the shop saying that the phone is bricked when they say is that it's stuck?

Most shops won't have a clue on how to deal with Chinese phones and don't accept any work. I've fixed a good few now for various people and each make is different. Main reason is because there are so many different mtk processors.

From what I can see, most of these companies get a rom to "mostly" work with the processor, sell it and promise upgrades. They then send out a few small updates to "fix" some of the existing problems (if it's an elephone they may also unknowingly include some crapware in the update). The company by this time has already moved onto the next model and continue the cycle again.... Basically, if you want to avoid these problems and encrypt a phone then go for a snapdragon.

Thanks T-Bird. The shop just said it is stuck partially encrypted and nothing else. As you say, it sounds like they don't want to touch it. Everything else is fine except for this 1 thing.

The option to encrypt is standard in Android AFAIK under Security in settings. Just make sure the phone is plugged in and charged to at least 80% and it goes off and does it's thing for about 1/2 an hour and works as normal after. I did it no hassle with my Sony M2. But I needed a dual SIM and the BV5000 seemed to have it all, except this one thing :confused:

You mention you have fixed different phones. Would you be willing to have a crack off this for a fee, no obligation to succeed? I could post it to you if so. PM me if you think it is something you could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Elephone P9000?, costs about 210 delivered from Aliexpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Trojan: Just to follow up on your questions :)

My P9000 seems to have improved with the battery, the first 2 days it seemed to drain pretty fast but after letting it completely run dry and charging it fully it seems to be doing very well now. I got the update yesterday that improves camera and fingerprint, and it works really good now.

As for where to buy it: I got it from elephonestore but I wouldn't recommend it as it seemed to be the same issue as oppomart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭seamus1980

What would the best phone be 100 to 140 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Trojan: Just to follow up on your questions :)

My P9000 seems to have improved with the battery, the first 2 days it seemed to drain pretty fast but after letting it completely run dry and charging it fully it seems to be doing very well now. I got the update yesterday that improves camera and fingerprint, and it works really good now.

As for where to buy it: I got it from elephonestore but I wouldn't recommend it as it seemed to be the same issue as oppomart.
    Agree its a nice phone got mine from Honorbuy. Are you having issues with Goggle Play Music "small window" force closes the app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

To be fair, I don't use Google Play Music so no :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

seamus1980 wrote: »

Best is subjective. You could get a 4.4 with big screen, but wont have huge specs.

What would you prefer in a phone. This will give us an idea what to recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Vernee Thor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭seamus1980

GBX wrote: »
    Best is subjective. You could get a 4.4 with big screen, but wont have huge specs.

What would you prefer in a phone. This will give us an idea what to recommend.

I had a lenovo k3 note,but i had to send it back as there were dead spots on the screen,i was looking at the oukitel k6000 pro,not bad specs at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So I think I have decided to plump for the future. Anyone got experience of GeekBuying?
    Kavrocks wrote: »
    Check their presale website? The first link I followed was Geekbuying which has it available in ~20mins although I was able to add it to my cart.

Sound. What are these lads like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Took the plunge and went for the oukitel k6000 pro. Bought on everbuying. I think it may be presale though so I have tonwait and see. Don't really mind to be honest. Should come to about 150 with import duty etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I was going to suggest one of the Asus Zenfones, but never realised that most if not all of them, do not have NFC.. :confused:.

This is slightly more than the €280, but using code Mayday it works out at roughly €288 delivered.
    http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/civictelecomonline/product/PNLGCT029/
    The LG G4. Replaceable 3000mAh battery, 16MP camera, NFC, Gyro, 4G etc..

The only thing I don't really like is the brown leather (which you can change).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

toby2111 wrote: »
    Ulefone Future and Zopo Speed 8 are both mentioned 1 or 2 pages back. Both seem like decent phones,not sure about NFC. Check out their specs.

The Ulefone Future won't ship until early June according to my confirmation email. I'm OK with that but others may need a phone quicker.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Went for the Ulefone Future. My Z3C has seen better days, and I really wanted to go for the S7 Edge. Cant justify paying that much sim free for the phone, so this should tide me over for a while and stop me buying the S7 Edge.

I went with banggood as they offer insurance if anything happens in transit. In total it working out to be about 180 euro, which i am perfectly happy to pay!

To answer one of the above, it doesnt seem to have NFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

antodeco wrote: »
    Went for the Ulefone Future. My Z3C has seen better days, and I really wanted to go for the S7 Edge. Cant justify paying that much sim free for the phone, so this should tide me over for a while and stop me buying the S7 Edge.

I went with banggood as they offer insurance if anything happens in transit. In total it working out to be about 180 euro, which i am perfectly happy to pay!

Let us know how you get on. I'm the same as you,looking to upgrade from my Z3 but will wait a little before pulling the trigger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The ulefone doesn't ship till June which is a massive turnoff.

Don't see the point of preordering a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

RossieMan wrote: »
    The ulefone doesn't ship till June which is a massive turnoff.

Don't see the point of preordering a phone.

60 euro discount?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Whilst I agree the June shipping date is a little annoying, I will gladly pay the price to wait for 5 - 6 weeks. Id like a phone now, but i dont need a phone now.

Ive been looking at all the reviews, and its regarded as in the higher end of mid range phones. Id like to think of it as the low end of a high range phone! :p

My only real concern is the M10 processor. Its not as fast as any Snapdragons, but Im hoping an overclock mod will be developed, as the 4GB RAM will give a little bit more breathing space.

If it can really charge from empty to full in one hour, that will make it truely excellent. It will actually save me money, as Ill just charge my phone the last hour in work to keep me going until the next day!

Camera seems to be acceptable. The Z3C camera is very hit and miss, so any improvement is better.

What colour did people go for? I went for the space grey. The gold, could be nice but it could also look very tacky. The grey is a safer bet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Going by previous ulefone, they've been very hit and miss. I'd want some real reviews before committing to it. People getting there phone for free and reviewing just aren't as trustworthy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Going by previous ulefone, they've been very hit and miss. I'd want some real reviews before committing to it. People getting there phone for free and reviewing just aren't as trustworthy for me.

Not much too it really. Those specs with the bezel-less screen you won't find anywhere else really. Software wise it's stock android 6.0 so that's a massive draw. Camera seems good to decent in the early review, on par with the Redmi Note 3 anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

I have a Ulefone Power a month now. Build is great it's very fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I had a lenovo k3 note,but i had to send it back as there were dead spots on the screen,i was looking at the oukitel k6000 pro,not bad specs at all

100% get the Oukitel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

antodeco wrote: »

How did you get it so cheap? It is showing 214 for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Who're better to deal with Geek Buying or Banggood?

The Ulefone Future is being bought today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Who're better to deal with Geek Buying or Banggood?

The Ulefone Future is being bought today.

How much are they charging ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement