Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I've had the Ulefone Power now for about 3 months and it's a brilliant phone. No issues at all. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

morgana wrote: »
    I've had the Ulefone Power now for about 3 months and it's a brilliant phone. No issues at all. Love it.

Does the gps, maps work ok?
    Do they lock onto your location quickly?

Am seriously tempted by one of these but worried about this. No real interest in taking photos so don't really care about good/bad the camera is,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

Anyone have any luck in finding a case for Ulefone Power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Yea got this one - fits ok and looks nice. Adds some bulk of course, but I don't mind that. Takes some time to arrive (about 3 weeks), at that price I'm not arguing. :P

Re GPS/Maps, I don't use them often but location services seems to work just fine. I haven't noticed any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

Xiaomi mi max announced specs look very good for the price, thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'm sorry but that's a stupid size. It's not big enough to be a tablet, nor small enough to a phone. Where would you use it? It wouldn't fit in most pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'm sorry but that's a stupid size. It's not big enough to be a tablet, nor small enough to a phone. Where would you use it? It wouldn't fit in most pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I'm thinking about buying a Xiaomi mi5, so far my concerns are:
    - Doesn't support LTE band 20 (meteor + 3)
    - Need to unlock to install a non-chinese OS version (access to unlock is controlled by Xiaomi)

Has anyone bought one? How do they like it?

Any alternatives to this phone that has snapdragon 820 for similar price and features but does support band 20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I'm thinking about buying a Xiaomi mi5, so far my concerns are:
    - Doesn't support LTE band 20 (meteor + 3)
    - Need to unlock to install a non-chinese OS version (access to unlock is controlled by Xiaomi)

Has anyone bought one? How do they like it?

Any alternatives to this phone that has snapdragon 820 for similar price and features but does support band 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

RossieMan wrote:

It is very big but it would fit in my pockets and what your getting for the price is fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Has anybody ever used Everbuying or have an opinion of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Has anybody ever used Everbuying or have an opinion of them?

grand ya, used for a phone, said was in stock when ordered, it wasnt...they didnt lie about it, they said new batch coming whatever date and they ordered it and shipped after a week or on the date they said the order was coming.
    some companies would lie and give you a fake tracking number, no these guys were honest and offered me instant refund to paypal or wait for the stock and gave correct date of when stock was arriving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭seamus1980

How much will customs charge,to bring in a phone worth 130 euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

seamus1980 wrote: »

I got charged 38 on a 138 phone this week. So about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

seamus1980 wrote: »
    This might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Really silly question

I order one of these phones put in my sim card and turn it on and It will work?

Not to good with installing software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

but1er wrote: »
    Really silly question

I order one of these phones put in my sim card and turn it on and It will work?

Not to good with installing software

It will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

eamonnq wrote: »
    It will work.

Lets get study the review

Cheers the speedy reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I got charged 38 on a 138 phone this week. So about that.

Was that the full custom charge or handling charge included in this price?

I got a Jiayu last year, Phone value was about €180 and custom/delivery charge was around €38 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

GBX wrote: »
    Was that the full custom charge or handling charge included in this price?

I got a Jiayu last year, Phone value was about €180 and custom/delivery charge was around €38 too.

All in.This is from email from revenue.

Total Value of Goods - €138.35

Customs Duty - € 0.00
    VAT @ 23% - € 31.82
    An Post Fee - € 7.00
    Total for Collection - € 38.82

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭browne_rob5

Jovem wrote: »
    My wife is using the Ulefone Power for around a month now. It's fantastic. Battery lasts for days, screen is first rate and it's as fast as my Galaxy Edge. Unbelievable for €165 delivered. Couldn't recommend this phone highly enough

Hey

Where did you buy this from?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

90sBla wrote: »
    Absolute bargain alert, no customs drama either with eu shipping

the xiaomi mi4 with snapdragon 801 with 4G is now 117 euro at oppo mart. Unfortunately it's just the 16gb/2gb ram vers which does not have micro SD slot.

For all the people on here buying x y and z for 120 euro plus that receive next to 0 software updates, this is definitely for you as it has countless custom roms, CM13, official updates etc. Heck its still a better phone than most today in terms of speed, camera and battery life.

I picked this up as the 5.5 inch size of my Meizu m2 Note is too big for me to comfortably hold.

If anyone is worried like I was about how usable MIUI is - in my experience (only for a week admittedly) it's been absolutely great. Coming from a Meizu and the genuinely awful Flyme (in use anyway - looks very nice imo) this is a big relief.

At first emails weren't being pushed (or even checked on an interval I think) through the system email app and I was ready to bin it but I installed an app called bluemail and this is working perfectly. I don't know if this is because I changed a setting or because of the app but I get emails instantly now regardless what state the phone is in.

I'm not the most power of phone users - I dont have Facebook or WhatsApp installed but everything installed is working as it should. I switched off memory management, gave apps autostart permissions, deleted stored data from a system app (can't remember name - was recommended after a Google search) and I have zero problems with notifications etc. so far.

Twilight will run automatically, Pocket Casts/Twitter/Football scores will give me lock screen notifications, Fleksy is stored as the default keyboard etc. - this is light years from Flyme. Flyme seemed to shut absolutely everything off except emails. Great for battery life but phone was basically a 2005 Nokia in use.

Otherwise the phone is great, very surprised it's two years old. It has a genuinely premium feel, is massively faster than the Meizu (loading pages/apps etc. and 4g speeds are about 2.5 times faster), sound is great from headphones and speakers and camera really good, especially for a chinaphone at this price - maybe the selling point of it to me.

The Meizu screen seemed sharper I think (although the viewing angles on the Xiaomi are better) and the notification sound seems unusually low - I might try and import a louder sound to see if that works - but that's it.

It worked out at €136 delivered with no tax from Oppomart (this was at the $129 price) and took about two weeks including the May bank holiday. It seemed to come with a bit of bloatware but I installed the Global stable rom from the MIUI site straight over it.

I'm not a fan of roms generally - in my experience they usually have bugs around things I want - but Im not sure how many of them will actually work on this. Looking at forums they seem to be almost exclusively for the 3g variant of the phone. Windows 10 is available bizarrely, which I thought I'd use in a worst-case scenario as Flyme had put me off Android so much.

tl dr;
    Mi4 shockingly good phone
    Incredibly good value
    MIUI working fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

the xiaomi mi4 with snapdragon 801 with 4G is now 117 euro at oppo mart. Unfortunately it's just the 16gb/2gb ram vers which does not have micro SD slot.

For all the people on here buying x y and z for 120 euro plus that receive next to 0 software updates, this is definitely for you as it has countless custom roms, CM13, official updates etc. Heck its still a better phone than most today in terms of speed, camera and battery life.

Can you post a link? I can see it on Oppomart but at €126. How much is shipping & is it from the EU ?

Is this fully compatible with all Irish networks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Hi

Anyone on here using the Elephone P9000. Very tempted to purchase before the weekend. Would ye recommend it or anything else in that spec and price bracket.. Cheers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

patq16 wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone on here using the Elephone P9000. Very tempted to purchase before the weekend. Would ye recommend it or anything else in that spec and price bracket.. Cheers..

XDA Review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭beardo81

Purchased a P9000 from Gizchina, there's a discount code floating around also for a few euro off so came it at less than 220 delivered.

Have to mention delivery times too, ordered Monday night and had phone in my hands on Wednesday afternoon, excellent service.

Phone itself is great so far, quick, good looking and feels like it should cost a lot more. I'll post any further observations as I see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

Hi can I ask anyone with the ulefone power how is your volume through the headphone Jack.
    Mine is quite poor

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

beardo81 wrote: »
    Purchased a P9000 from Gizchina, there's a discount code floating around also for a few euro off so came it at less than 220 delivered.

Have to mention delivery times too, ordered Monday night and had phone in my hands on Wednesday afternoon, excellent service.

Phone itself is great so far, quick, good looking and feels like it should cost a lot more. I'll post any further observations as I see them.

I ordered the P9000 on Tuesday, received an email on Wednesday to say they are expecting stock on the 18th, just to bear in mind if you go for a different colour from black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

accaguest wrote: »

I picked this up as the 5.5 inch size of my Meizu m2 Note is too big for me to comfortably hold.

If anyone is worried like I was about how usable MIUI is - in my experience (only for a week admittedly) it's been absolutely great. Coming from a Meizu and the genuinely awful Flyme (in use anyway - looks very nice imo) this is a big relief.
    Got one for the wife also. Great value phone. Good build quality. Does the weather app work here at all? Some apps she wanted weren't appearing in the play store but got them no problem with Aptoide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Is there anywhere in Dublin that would fix screen for redmi 2 pro? its not actually cracked,dropped it and the screen is gone funny now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement