Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Pre Ordered the ulefone future last night but since been looking at the umi super. That 4000mah battery looks decent. Anyone using the umi super?

Do you mind if I ask where you pre-ordered from?

I'm in the market for a new phone. HTC 10 is my first preference at the minute but then I could probably pick up an S7 for a hundred or so cheaper. Then I've been contemplating getting a cheaper phone to tie me over for a while and see what the new Nexus has to offer.

I've been currently looking at the Ulefone Future and the Elephone P9000. Anything else worth considering?

Ideally I'd like a 5.5 inch screen with off-screen buttons and something with a pretty good camera. Quick charge, wireless charging and fingerprint scanners aren't essential but could sway the decision. Don't card about SD card once storage is 32GB+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Received my LeTV X800 today, classic Chinese to mark a $230 order as $30 to save me tax, with no request to do so :pac:

Didn't get my grubby paws through the OS yet but it's quite pretty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

I ordered it form here:

http://www.banggood.com/Ulefone-Future-5_5-Inch-4GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-MT6755-1_95GHz-64bit-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1048917.html

Gonna cancel it and get the umi super instead. Another shout is the ulefone power which has a massive 6050 mah battery. Not having usb c is a deal breaker for me. The amount of micro usb cables I have gone through is crazy.ts also only on 5.1 afaik.

Bradz213 wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask where you pre-ordered from?

I'm in the market for a new phone. HTC 10 is my first preference at the minute but then I could probably pick up an S7 for a hundred or so cheaper. Then I've been contemplating getting a cheaper phone to tie me over for a while and see what the new Nexus has to offer.

I've been currently looking at the Ulefone Future and the Elephone P9000. Anything else worth considering?

Ideally I'd like a 5.5 inch screen with off-screen buttons and something with a pretty good camera. Quick charge, wireless charging and fingerprint scanners aren't essential but could sway the decision. Don't card about SD card once storage is 32GB+

who do you find to be the best at avoiding customs or is it just pot luck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

who do you find to be the best at avoiding customs or is it just pot luck?

None "avoid" customs.
    Your best bet is to use a European site, or a store that has customs duty paid.

If you use a Chinese site, it may or may not go through unnoticed.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    None "avoid" customs.
    Your best bet is to use a European site, or a store that has customs duty paid.

If you use a Chinese site, it may or may not go through unnoticed.

Would it not be the same price for either. Phone + 23% vat? Only difference would be on post handling fee if you ordered from china.

From reading the thread I have seen some companies under declare the value of the item to avoid custom charges, others just aren't checked.

Umi Super now €192.20 with bang good for a limited time. Just ordered it and cancelled my order for the ulefone future.

http://www.banggood.com/UMI-Super-5_5-inch-Fingerprint-4GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Helio-P10-MT6755-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1054938.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Umi Super now €192.20 with bang good for a limited time.
    €197.99 with TomTop with an extra €10 off if you use code UmiSuper10 making it €187.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Umi Super now €192.20 with bang good for a limited time. Just ordered it and cancelled my order for the ulefone future.

http://www.banggood.com/UMI-Super-5_5-inch-Fingerprint-4GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-Helio-P10-MT6755-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1054938.html

Do you think you'll have to pay tax on it? Looks like it's coming from China

Kavrocks wrote: »
    €197.99 with TomTop with an extra €10 off if you use code UmiSuper10 making it €187.99.

Think it's €197.99 with the €10 off. The umisuper10 codes seems to be applied by default

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

This is great value:

http://www.coolicool.com/stock-in-europe-leeco-letv-le1-pro-one-pro-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-qualcomm-snapdragon-810-20ghz-octa-core-g-43634

EU stock so no custom charges, it will be around €200 in total.

Synode wrote: »

Even adding another €50 for vat & handlng fee I still think it's good value. If it's not charged it's even better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Synode wrote: »
    Toss of a coin. You are more likely to get away without paying VAT now than at Christmas. For my last order from China in April I did not have to pay VAT on.
    Think it's €197.99 with the €10 off. The umisuper10 codes seems to be applied by default
    No it's not applied by default. It's €187.99 after applying UmiSuper10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭Esel

coldfire1x wrote: »

"EUI OS (Based on Android 5.0 System)" - is this a cause for any concern? (Haven't been following thread closely, so apologies if already covered.)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Surprised there is no talk of the ZTE Axon 7. Anyone seen it?

Looks to be some spec for €409. Can't find any details around which European countries they're going to launch in though.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Toss of a coin. You are more likely to get away without paying VAT now than at Christmas. For my last order from China in April I did not have to pay VAT on.

No it's not applied by default. It's €187.99 after applying UmiSuper10.

Sorry your right it's ticked on the first page but you get a further €10 off when you enter the code

Esel wrote: »
    "EUI OS (Based on Android 5.0 System)" - is this a cause for any concern? (Haven't been following thread closely, so apologies if already covered.)

Recieved this phone today, runs fairly smoothly thus far. I'm not in love with EUI, it's kinda similar to MiUi which I didn't like. It has no app drawer by default and the App Switcher is a carbon copy of iOS. I'm going to stick with it for a little while (I tend to give OS's a week before I pass judgement) before I decide to jump ship to AOSP or Cyanogenmod.

Esel wrote: »

It's got an android base like miui or flyme, but is more user friendly.
    I like it, but like everything, others mightn't.

More info about it here - http://etkchina.com/2016/01/14/letv-phone-eui-experience-unique-features-and-expecting-future/
    and
    The Letv’s eUI 5.0 (Eco User Interface), which is based on the Android Lollipop What is more, the EUI is the first full end smartphone operating system.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJZu34yX2DE

Another one using Android is Unaphone Zenith
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/unaphone-zenith-secure-and-private-smartphone#/

I was just reading about it. Looks great. Hopefully it's the beginning of all phones being like that (secure and privat etc.).
    If you watch the video and want to skip through the talking to the phone - Phone starts at 2:58.
    I guess (hope) storage will be larger by the time it's released.

Allyall do your speeds get totally nerfed when using USB Tethering?

Allyall do your speeds get totally nerfed when using USB Tethering?

On the Letv? It's not mine, it's my brothers.
    But I have seen that loads on different android forums. I think changing the MTU size/settings helps. I didn't read too much about it tbh.

• Advertisement

What's MTU :(

I'll piss around with it later, still updating and installing my apps for now anyways.

What's MTU :(

I'll piss around with it later, still updating and installing my apps for now anyways.

Maximum Transmission Unit
    http://www.richard-slater.co.uk/archives/2009/10/23/change-your-mtu-under-vista-windows-7-or-windows-8/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Help!!
    I am buying from an Ali shop - but my CC payment is blocked by Ali ( my bank seem to have ok'd it as I did not have to verify transaction). Will usin Revolut avoid these problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Help!!
    I am buying from an Ali shop - but my CC payment is blocked by Ali ( my bank seem to have ok'd it as I did not have to verify transaction). Will usin Revolut avoid these problems?

Ive used Revolut on Aliexpress, with no problems.

Satriale wrote: »
    Ive used Revolut on Aliexpress, with no problems.

Thanks!
    So you just sign up for Revolut and top up the virtual card with euro or request a physical card and use as normal card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Have a look at the revolt site, it's pretty straightforward

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Thanks!
    So you just sign up for Revolut and top up the virtual card with euro or request a physical card and use as normal card?

Download the app and sign up, the app will have the card and security number, exp dates, so you can use it straight away. You can get a physical card to use if you need it beyond that.
    (Be aware that they have worse conversion rates at the weekend when the markets are closed)

Boards thread on it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057481488

I think a black cat just crossed the Matrix...

Satriale wrote: »
    I think a black cat just crossed the Matrix...

Thanks for the info.
    My phone (iPhone) is totally acting up tonight. I will delete the dbl post. I tried to search on " revolut boards.ie " and got nothing! I will have a good read. I have just registered with Revolut and got the virtual card no. Thanks for the tip on weekend conversions. I assume we are talking a few % margin at weekends?

• Advertisement

aaronm13 wrote: »
    I have this phone and it's very good but has problems with wifi and GPS is a bit hit and miss. For that price it's a steel though. Great build and decent camera. Paid a lot more for it only a few months ago.

Have you found a way to turn off 4G Aaron? I hit 3G as priority in the settings and it's still sticking with LTE, pretty annoying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement