Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.
    My phone (iPhone) is totally acting up tonight. I will delete the dbl post. I tried to search on " revolut boards.ie " and got nothing! I will have a good read. I have just registered with Revolut and got the virtual card no. Thanks for the tip on weekend conversions. I assume we are talking a few % margin at weekends?

No worries. Yea just a small thing, but their convertor will be out that few percent. Your cc card rate is still probably worse, mine is anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Have you found a way to turn off 4G Aaron? I hit 3G as priority in the settings and it's still sticking with LTE, pretty annoying.

Haven't had a need to turn it off sorry. Think there's a hidden network setting in Android. Was reading about it last week in relation to the x800. The only thing I can find now is off xda, you type *#*# 9439 #*#* I remember doing this on htc phones before where you can select network preferences. Sorry if I explained this arseways.

How's are you finding the phone and how is wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

[font=arial, sans-serif]$70SUPER[/font]

coupon for umi super in coolicool if anyone wants it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Haven't had a need to turn it off sorry. Think there's a hidden network setting in Android. Was reading about it last week in relation to the x800. The only thing I can find now is off xda, you type *#*# 9439 #*#* I remember doing this on htc phones before where you can select network preferences. Sorry if I explained this arseways.

How's are you finding the phone and how is wifi?

Only gives a CMDA option unfortunately :/

It's a lovely piece of kit, if it lasts me as long as my Mi3 did before I gave up on it I'll be happy! Very snappy and responsive.

Haven't used it with a Wifi connection yet, don't think I'm gonna miss it though, I use mainly data.

Ah I'll plough away with 4G, I was getting like 1.5mbps speeds last night in the middle of Galway so I wanted to see if 3G would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Some HTC codes
    *#*#3424#*#* - HTC function test Program
    *#*# - HTC Info menu
    *#*#8255#*#* - Launch GTalk Service Monitor
    ##3424# - Diagnostic mode
    ##3282# - EPST menu
    ##8626337# - VOCODER
    ##33284# - Field trial menu
    ##786# - Reverse Logistics Support
    ##7738# - Protocol Revision

A load more HERE

• Advertisement

Last phone I had was a 2gb RAM phone, this has 4 but 3gb is always gone.

Is it normal for Android to hog all the ram just because it's there? Never had ram trouble before so I'm curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is it normal for Android to hog all the ram just because it's there? Never had ram trouble before so I'm curious.

Somebody posted a while back that the RAM is there to be used and its no biggie that its gone. I'm sure the phone will adjust the more apps you are trying to use or have running in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

This phone seems a real ram hog, easily 3gb used with little or nothing open, doesn't seem to effect it at all though so don't mind.

How's do you find the camera? Every photo I took with the stock camera had a really strong blue hue off it and couldn't fix it no matter what settings I used. Use Open Camera now and photos are perfect. Never seen any reports on this so wondering what the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Yes it's normal. That is how Android is designed.
    aaronm13 wrote: »
    This phone seems a real ram hog, easily 3gb used with little or nothing open, doesn't seem to effect it at all though so don't mind.
    It's designed like that. It doesn't affect it because that is how Android is designed. You shouldn't worry about it.

Empty RAM may have been needed on Windows but it is not on Android. Clearing apps from RAM or keeping a certain amount of RAM empty on Android can hamper performance and degrade battery life.

Yeah I know ram takes care of itself and letting Android run its own **** is the best option but I wasn't sure if it was normal for it to grab what's going instead of what it needs.

Only used the camera for Snapchat so no comment there, I'm not much of a photographer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Got the Elephone P9000 yesterday afternoon - after it sat in Shannon since Friday morning :)

First thing I did was the OTA update. The phone seems pretty awesome in almost every way...

I had some problems with voice commands that were just not picked up, so I used a sound recorder app to record the microphone. Turns out there's a really loud static background noise at times.

I transferred the recordings to the PC, and it's not that bad, but listening to playback on the device it sounds incredibly loud. I uploaded them to Soundcloud (the 3rd one gets quite loud so watch your volume if you listen).

I did see someone else mention a similar issue on a YouTube review comment, waiting to see if it's the same type of problem.

Could this be a software issue, or is it the microphone? Is it RMA time? :/

Here's a video with the background noise:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Hi Folks, I'm seeking a little advice if i may.

On 19th May I ordered the Oukitel K6000 Pro for €136 from AlieExpress (Seller = Shenzhen Ele Technology Ltd)

I got the following message earlier.....
    Hi friend
    Unfortunately,Oukitel K6000pro might be available after June 10th, this is because Oukitel factory has the materials for producing by the 5th of June , Sorry to bring the inconvenience,hope you can be patient to wait.
    and please kindly help us extend more days for processing time to make sure your order will not be closed automatically if you are willing to wait,.
    Best regards,
    Jannie

I noticed that some other sellers like igogo and everbuying were saying that the item was pre-sale and would ship after June 10th, so decided to pay the extra €9 for an item that was' in stock.'

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to buy this phone and have it actually shipped within the last couple of weeks, and if so which seller?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Trojan wrote: »
    Here's a video with the background noise:

You're just going to have to try another ROM and see what happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Did anyone pick up the Ulefone Vienna? How is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

RichT wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I'm seeking a little advice if i may.

On 19th May I ordered the Oukitel K6000 Pro for €136 from AlieExpress (Seller = Shenzhen Ele Technology Ltd)

I got the following message earlier.....

I noticed that some other sellers like igogo and everbuying were saying that the item was pre-sale and would ship after June 10th, so decided to pay the extra €9 for an item that was' in stock.'

I was just wondering if anyone has managed to buy this phone and have it actually shipped within the last couple of weeks, and if so which seller?

Cheers.

Got a refund from Everbuying because they changed the date of the presale from may 20th to June 10th.

I ordered with igogo and got a message to say my phone had been dispatched with Netherlands post. THat said, the tracking number I was given doesnt work!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Just ordered the Ulefone Power from Coolicool.
    Coming from Europe so hopefully it'll be here next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I see a lot of people on here advising against using gearbest for ordering phones, why is that?

They seem to have great reviews on trust pilot..

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/*************

I see a lot of people on here advising against using gearbest for ordering phones, why is that?

Up to yesterday they were not welcomed on the site - some users had bad experiences. Also they were involved with Shilling.
    Boards announced that they now have a rep on here and an active sub forum.

Thanks

I have an urge to upgrade from my Sony Z3, any recommendations?

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Up to yesterday they were not welcomed on the site - some users had bad experiences. Also they were involved with Shilling.

Must've paid well for it. They're still dirty. I have been getting bombarded with really old resolution tickets, some which said "closed" on them, in the past few weeks.
    Even seeing their sale on, I wouldn't touch them, also some rumours that their 'official' stuff, isn't.

I'm willing to bet that this won't end well. Their 'customer service' is non existent. It's just going to lead to a heap of people being frustrated.
    They're banned from forums everywhere, including Freaktab, and just recently got allowed a trial on a massive German forum which has already started to show cracks.
    It's also worth pointing out, that they had "reps" on those forums too, with dedicated sub-forums and topics.
    If you are sure that whatever product you buy from them is going to be 100% hassle free, or worth 'risking' your cash for, then by all means go for it.
    Emails are responded to, weeks at a time.

Allyall wrote: »
    GBX wrote: »

Must've paid well for it. They're still dirty. I have been getting bombarded with really old resolution tickets, some which said "closed" on them, in the past few weeks.
    Even seeing their sale on, I wouldn't touch them, also some rumours that their 'official' stuff, isn't.

I'm willing to bet that this won't end well. Their 'customer service' is non existent. It's just going to lead to a heap of people being frustrated.
    They're banned from forums everywhere, including Freaktab, and just recently got allowed a trial on a massive German forum which has already started to show cracks.
    If you are sure that whatever product you buy from them is going to be 100% hassle free, or worth 'risking' your cash for, then by all means go for it.
    Where would you recommend buying from?

Allyall wrote: »

Yeah, the issues are well documented and it's quite a change of attitude from Boards. Im not "pro" Gearbest. I have only bought smaller items and have had no issues so far.

Where would you recommend buying from?

It depends on what you're looking for. Sometimes one item may cost more in one shop and be another item may be cheaper etc.
    Gearbest was maybe acceptable when it was only cheap cráp that they dealt with. When they started charging western higher prices (not including vat) and don't have any support, they've proven they're not worth it.

If you want to buy from Europe, there are many stores, and even more if you would like to purchase from China and pay your own duty/vat when asked.

These are some of the stores if you want to buy from Europe:
    /Oppomart. com
    /HongKongeek. com
    /Geekbuying. com (warehouse selection on left hand side menu)
    /Geekvida. com (Prices Vary by Country)
    /shop.gizchina. com/eu-direct/
    /Honorbuy. com
    /Coolicool. com
    /Antelife. com
    /efox-shop. com
    /igogo. es

If you want to buy from China
    /Aliexpress. com (good rated seller) E.G. HongKongGoldway, Tinghui Trading, Huamei Xiongdi Tech..
    /Banggood. com
    /Geekbuying. com
    /Tomtop. com
    /en.jd. com (Recently revamped as /joybuy. com)

There are thousands more that I've left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Got the Elephone P9000 yesterday afternoon - after it sat in Shannon since Friday morning :)

First thing I did was the OTA update. The phone seems pretty awesome in almost every way...

I had some problems with voice commands that were just not picked up, so I used a sound recorder app to record the microphone. Turns out there's a really loud static background noise at times.

I transferred the recordings to the PC, and it's not that bad, but listening to playback on the device it sounds incredibly loud. I uploaded them to Soundcloud (the 3rd one gets quite loud so watch your volume if you listen).

I did see someone else mention a similar issue on a YouTube review comment, waiting to see if it's the same type of problem.

I hope there is a fix for this. I have one just left Milan this morning.:(.I think there are a few on here that have the P9000 a few weeks. I wonder is it across the board with all handsets or just unlucky ones. Wouldn't have purchased if this review was up last week. Typical:sick:. Keep us posted if you get any joy with it and ill post how mine is when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Probably a silly question but other than the issue with voice commands, will the backround static cause any other problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

From their Trustpilot page;

Dear Trustpilot users,

This is a notification to inform you that our proprietary software has discovered a large number of fake reviews on this domain. Consequently, we have investigated all reviews connected to this domain and have removed several hundreds of reviews from the domain. Manipulation of reviews is a great threat to both consumers and businesses. We will continue to fight attempts to manipulate reviews to safeguard the integrity of Trustpilot, and we will share information about such severe and coordinated attempts with our users.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Think I'm going to order a Umi Super, seems to meet most of my needs. Can't find any solid info on when they start shipping though, anyone know?

Thargor wrote: »
    You're just going to have to try another ROM and see what happens...

I'll RMA rather than mess about with that.
    patq16 wrote: »
    I hope there is a fix for this. I have one just left Milan this morning.:(.I think there are a few on here that have the P9000 a few weeks. I wonder is it across the board with all handsets or just unlucky ones. Wouldn't have purchased if this review was up last week. Typical:sick:. Keep us posted if you get any joy with it and ill post how mine is when it arrives.

There's very little about this issue online - in fact I've only seen 1 other person mention this problem - so odds are you should be ok. It could be something like 1 in every 1000 devices.
    Probably a silly question but other than the issue with voice commands, will the backround static cause any other problems?

Voice commands, audio recordings, video recordings and probably phone calls but I haven't tested that yet as my SIM is too small and I didn't bother getting a new one yet since I'll RMA.

Here's another video of the problem I made for the RMA:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Lukker- wrote: »
    Think I'm going to order a Umi Super, seems to meet most of my needs. Can't find any solid info on when they start shipping though, anyone know?

Ordered it from bang good and says its shipped. Whether it is or not is another thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement