Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

thehamo wrote: »
    Does the phone need to be rooted to that?

Think so.

Does the phone need to be rooted to that?

Think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Mine arrived with a screen protector for a 5" screen so it was useless, I believe I got a hard plastic case with it.

Phones way too nice in the hand to wrap in a case though

Hi Digital Solitude, do you recall how long it took from order to delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

polaris68 wrote: »
    Hi Digital Solitude, do you recall how long it took from order to delivery?

8 days total with DHL, 4 processing, 4 to get to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Bought a Koobee h1 in China, only downside is that even when set to English, it still gives all the notifications in Chinese and won't let me install Google play. Anyone know a vanilla ROM of android I could install on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Download the relevant gapps for the version of android you're on.
    That'll sort the google issue, the language will be much harder to sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Google apps won't work on the phone so I'm unable to download anything for it. Would I be able to install a ROM for an English version of Android instead?

Lockstep wrote: »
    Google apps won't work on the phone so I'm unable to download anything for it. Would I be able to install a ROM for an English version of Android instead?

http://www.needrom.com/download/koobee-halo-h1/
    http://www.needrom.com/download/koobee-halo-h1-miui-v5/

Second link doesn't have gapps

What RossieMan is on about is downloading a package called "gapps" for whatever android version you have and flashing it through recovery, similar to flashing a new ROM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I think that you can use Xiaomi Firmware. But I'm not sure for which phone. I think I saw something on Freaktab about somebody that has flashed an International Xioami Rom on to their Koobee H1. It would probably be the Mi4 but I don't know.

Failing that, are you using Miui? You can request the correct Gapps for your device here - You could also ask for the Rom - https://www.facebook.com/miuiromchina/posts/584626181596961

Get aptoide its the exact same thing as google play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

any help/adive on rooting? I tried two root prorams but neither worked. Tried kingroot and it failed every time, got as far as 26% and then just stopped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

any help/adive on rooting? I tried two root prorams but neither worked. Tried kingroot and it failed every time, got as far as 26% and then just stopped.

This link seems to mention another option if you are still trying to root the k6000

http://androidgoroot.com/how-to-root-oukitel-k6000/

It's a very similar process to kingoroot though.

Are you sure you set up the phone for developer mode and enabled usb debugging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

This link seems to mention another option if you are still trying to root the k6000

http://androidgoroot.com/how-to-root-oukitel-k6000/

It's a very similar process to kingoroot though.

Are you sure you set up the phone for developer mode and enabled usb debugging?

Yeah tried both on that site. I have enabled debugging and set up for developer mode but alas no joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Received my UMI Super on Wednesday. Really impressed with the build quality, fingerprint sensor, display, and battery life. Audio quality is also excellent but the speaker is not too loud. Only issue so far is the poor camera but I'm not a big camera user so doesn't bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

8 days total with DHL, 4 processing, 4 to get to me

Was that from The Geeks store on Ali?

SmallBalls wrote: »
    Was that from The Geeks store on Ali?

No, not sure the name of the store.

I'd recommend going with the geeks if they're promising no taxes, they have good reviews don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

I ordered an umi super from coolicool the EU warehouse last Tuesday and received it from their on Friday. They were very slow to acknowledge email receipt of the order and in fact had shipped it before even acknowledging it. I've been stung by customs the last few times that I've ordered direct from China and so went with the EU warehouse this time.

The build seems sturdy and the phone did three OTA updates after I got it. So far I'm very pleased with it. The screen is really good, no issues with the fingerprint reader which works well and the battery life seems similar to my old jiayu G4 (and a lot better than my umi rome)

I had hesitated over the phone as the battery is not detachable and also because you can't use two sims and an SD card simultaneously. These quibbles are less of an issue for me as the battery capacity is good and the EU roaming deal means that I've less need of two sims anyway.

There's no easy root available in the security menu and I gather from forums that if you root the phone then it won't OTA update.

I tested it with antutu today and it scored 50,722

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

That new Moto G 4th gen sure looks impressive for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

Hi,

Any recommendations for a 5" device with a great camera and decent battery life?
    I was thinking of the ZTE Nubia Z11 but I read the battery struggles to last a day. The Redmi 3S has a so so camera (quick but photos are middling).

Any other ideas? Ideally a phone which takes good photos, camera is responsive and quick to start and not crappy battery life.
    Ideally 5" but no bigger than 5.2"

Thanks
    Glen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Considering the Leagoo Shark 1. Anyone pick one up here? Thoughts?

http://www.gearbest.com/smart-watch-phone/pp_319906.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

hey guys can someone please check if with some on the chinese phone is working the billing with credit on playstore?

you should see something like this:
    Idea-Billing-Google-Play-Payment-1.png

I am asking because with xiaomi the billing with three credit is not working at all, and noone is answering about this bug.
    with samsung and lg work fine. so before to buy a new phone I would like to know if I can use this option.
    Thank you so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

Oukitel K6000 pro ordered from this seller nearly 2 weeks is on its way now from the Netherlands will i be stung for it.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Oukitel-K6000-Pro-MTK6753-Octa-Core-Smartphone-5-5-FHD-2-5D-Screen-3G-RAM-32G/32643493243.html

biu3vb3ld

Dank, it's your phone or ROM that's the issue. I use three billing all the time, and I've the same phone as you.

homingbird wrote: »
    Oukitel K6000 pro ordered from this seller nearly 2 weeks is on its way now from the Netherlands will i be stung for it.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Oukitel-K6000-Pro-MTK6753-Octa-Core-Smartphone-5-5-FHD-2-5D-Screen-3G-RAM-32G/32643493243.html

biu3vb3ld

What country did you select to ship from?

That company won't ship to Ireland from any of the warehouses, so it's coming from China via NL post. You can be hit for customs, buts its hit and miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

biu3vb3ld
    Looks like a nice phone. Give us your opinion of it after you get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

danko82 wrote: »
    hey guys can someone please check if with some on the chinese phone is working the billing with credit on playstore?

you should see something like this:
    Idea-Billing-Google-Play-Payment-1.png

I am asking because with xiaomi the billing with three credit is not working at all, and noone is answering about this bug.
    with samsung and lg work fine. so before to buy a new phone I would like to know if I can use this option.
    Thank you so much.

I have a xiaomi phone and this happened to me. I think it's due to the phone being unlocked or dual sim. I fixed mine by putting sim card in another phone and logging into google account. I think you delete the device from your google account but not sure. All I know is that billing with three credit does work with xiaomi phones but if it doesn't appear you have to some extra things to get it working . Sorry if I can't be of anymore help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

I have ordered a Redmi Note 3 Pro so looking forward to seeing how it performs when it gets here hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Coming from a HTC M8 I am not sure if it will be much of an upgrade but wanted to try something new and for €140 it is worth the risk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭homingbird

RossieMan wrote: »
    That company won't ship to Ireland from any of the warehouses, so it's coming from China via NL post. You can be hit for customs, buts its hit and miss.

I was one of the first 20 people to order & the seller did not give the choice of country to order from like he is now . It seems my phone was sent to holland from china & nl post send it to me from their office in holland being a eu country i am hoping i wont get hit as i only paid 135 euro for phone it seems to have gone up to 165 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I was one of the first 20 people to order & the seller did not give the choice of country to order from like he is now . It seems my phone was sent to holland from china & nl post send it to me from their office in holland being a eu country i am hoping i wont get hit as i only paid 135 euro for phone it seems to have gone up to 165 now.

The reason that they send it via NL Post is to try and bypass EU Customs.
    As mentioned above, it's hit and miss.
    Customs are aware of it, and if they believe the phone may be worth a considerable amount, you will be asked to provide a copy of your invoice.
    If it has left Netherlands and has been in Ireland for more than 3 days but not delivered, then it's likely that it may have been stopped and you will receve an email.
    If it is stopped you may expect to be asked for roughly €40.

Some PostNL parcels have a "forwarded from China" notification on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement