Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Guys, what's the story with the locale on MIUI? Is there any flavour of MIUI that has Ireland as it's locale? I have to turn on international roaming to get data to work for the wife. On Three network.

If not, I might just flash cyanogenmod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just broke my galaxy a3s screen today. Get it fixed or buy a new phone have about 200 euros to blow any suggestions appreciated

Get the ulefone power from Amazon UK for £139.
    Fulfilled by Amazon so no problems if it goes wrong. 3 day battery life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

d31b0y wrote: »
    Guys, what's the story with the locale on MIUI? Is there any flavour of MIUI that has Ireland as it's locale? I have to turn on international roaming to get data to work for the wife. On Three network.

There's a fix for that somewhere.
    Not sure where it is, but it has definitely been fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

d31b0y wrote: »

I don't think it matters, I've always had to turn roaming on on Chinese phones, standard rates as always in my case, also with 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Hi, just wondering if people use parcel motel for Aliexpress delivery.

Usually just go normal post, but want to order a Xiaomi and want it fast.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I wouldn't unless its VAT free, Parcel Motel won't pay VAT and won't let you know its due in a lot of cases. If you gave them a ring about it they might be able to work it for you, they'd probably just turn it into a courier delivery and charge you more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

LFC Murphy wrote: »

How would Parcel Motel make it any faster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks

If you want it fast, you will probably be better paying for faster postage but chances are you would probably get hit with taxes etc.
    Parcel Motel would only handle the package once it arrives in the UK so no guarantee of them processing it any faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thanks

Assuming that you mean a phone*, try Oppomart. They ship from europe so no taxes and pretty fast shipping. As it happens I ordered a phone from them recently and got it in a week without any issues

*Obviously you mean a phone this is the Chinese phone thread not the aliexpress bargain, I think I need coffee :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Total PITA saga with Elephone, do not recommend.

Can anyone link me to up to date instructions (i.e. with working links) on flashing a P9000? This one seems to be network locked ("Wrong PIN - Please enter the Privacy Protection password to unlock").

What do I need to do to be able to use this phone?

• Advertisement

I'm guessing this subforum will have the most up to date information -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/elephone-p9000/development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Get the ulefone power from Amazon UK for £139.
    Fulfilled by Amazon so no problems if it goes wrong. 3 day battery life
    Hi, Im a numpty with phones but will I be able to transfer my meteor sim card and work away with this .
    TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Bumski wrote: »
    I ordered an umi super from coolicool the EU warehouse last Tuesday and received it from their on Friday. They were very slow to acknowledge email receipt of the order and in fact had shipped it before even acknowledging it. I've been stung by customs the last few times that I've ordered direct from China and so went with the EU warehouse this time.

The build seems sturdy and the phone did three OTA updates after I got it. So far I'm very pleased with it. The screen is really good, no issues with the fingerprint reader which works well and the battery life seems similar to my old jiayu G4 (and a lot better than my umi rome)

I had hesitated over the phone as the battery is not detachable and also because you can't use two sims and an SD card simultaneously. These quibbles are less of an issue for me as the battery capacity is good and the EU roaming deal means that I've less need of two sims anyway.

There's no easy root available in the security menu and I gather from forums that if you root the phone then it won't OTA update.

I tested it with antutu today and it scored 50,722

Got one of these as well this week from Coolicool. Ordered on Monday & delivered on Thursday. Pretty good phone for the price - €220. However, the camera is at best only average which hopefully can (and will) be improved by a software update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

b.gud wrote:
    Assuming that you mean a phone*, try Oppomart. They ship from europe so no taxes and pretty fast shipping. As it happens I ordered a phone from them recently and got it in a week without any issues

b.gud wrote:
    *Obviously you mean a phone this is the Chinese phone thread not the aliexpress bargain, I think I need coffee

What are you on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

What are you on about

He thought he was on a different thread *obviously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭b.gud

What are you on about
    He thought he was on a different thread *obviously :pac:

Yep what Iseedeadpixels said. Had thought I was in the Aliexpress bargain thread, http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057520472/1, once I realised I was in a different thread I edited the post.

Also not sure why you decided to split my single post into two posts and removed the strike through I added in my edit. But I suppose when you're trying to score points, and thanks, with an unnecessary smart arse comment sometimes you need to create a context that fits your needs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a Doogee X5 Pro that I've never really used if anyone is interested. Great as a second or interim phone. Will stick it up on adverts in the next day or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

http://www.needrom.com/download/koobee-halo-h1/
    http://www.needrom.com/download/koobee-halo-h1-miui-v5/

Second link doesn't have gapps

What RossieMan is on about is downloading a package called "gapps" for whatever android version you have and flashing it through recovery, similar to flashing a new ROM.

Flashed using the first ROM and it went fine except when the phone restarted, the screen doesn't respond to being touched. The hard buttons (on and volume) work but the soft buttons on the screen no longer respond.
    Only way I can do anything on it is to connect a mouse to it via a usb to microusb port. Does this often happen when flashing?

The Vernee Apollo Lite is on Tomtop for €179.99 with code 27ApolloLite - very tempting.. :)

Allyall wrote:
    The

Allyall wrote:
    with code 27ApolloLite - very tempting..

Would that be much of a step down from the Sony Z3?

• Advertisement

Would that be much of a step down from the Sony Z3?

I'd say it would be quite a bit.
    http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/sony-xperia-z3,vernee-apollo

But also a big difference in price.

http://www.igeekphone.com/vernee-apollo-lite-design-antutu-hardware-battery-and-camera-review/

EDIT - Maybe not as massive as I first thoight, but still at least €85 - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Sony-Xperia-Z3-D6603-Android-Smartphone-Handy-ohne-Vertrag-4G-LTE-WiFi-WLAN-WOW-/201502514542

Cheers. I have a Sony Z3 and coming up to the end of my contract so trying to decide if I should get another high end phone on bill pay or get a Chinese phone and go prepay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I have a Doogee X5 Pro that I've never really used if anyone is interested. Great as a second or interim phone. Will stick it up on adverts in the next day or two

PMed you there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Cheers. I have a Sony Z3 and coming up to the end of my contract so trying to decide if I should get another high end phone on bill pay or get a Chinese phone and go prepay

I'm in the exact same position as you. The xiaomi redmi 3 pro and the LeTV Le 1 Pro seem to be most recommended from what I can see. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet though, waiting for an absolute bargain!

toby2111 wrote:
    I'm in the exact same position as you. The xiaomi redmi 3 pro and the LeTV Le 1 Pro seem to be most recommended from what I can see. Still haven't pulled the trigger yet though, waiting for an absolute bargain!

How much are they going for?

How much are they going for?

About €160 to €200 if I remember. Have a look back a few pages of this thread, both are mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Why not just keep the Z3 and go prepay?

Lockstep wrote: »
    Flashed using the first ROM and it went fine except when the phone restarted, the screen doesn't respond to being touched. The hard buttons (on and volume) work but the soft buttons on the screen no longer respond.
    Only way I can do anything on it is to connect a mouse to it via a usb to microusb port. Does this often happen when flashing?

Nope that's **** hitting the fan, reflash it and see if its any better

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Why not just keep the Z3 and go prepay?
    And unlock it using EMMA. Flash a bloat-free rom on to it.

Lockstep wrote: »

No, not often, but it does happen. Before reflashing it check to see if there are any updates (using the mouse) for that rom, and install them.

If not, Reflash.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    And unlock it using EMMA. Flash a bloat-free rom on to it.
    Is that a complicated procedure? I've never done it before but if there's an easy, step by step way, I might give it a go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement