Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Nope that's **** hitting the fan, reflash it and see if its any better

Sadly no. Tried reflashing using the same rom and a stock rom from a different source and the exact same problem occurs: phone seemingly flashes fine and reboots normally but then the screen won't work.

I also tried updating the OS but it's already the newest version.

Would an alternate ROM work like for a Xiaomi that also uses the MT6582 processor? Preferably one I can flash use SP Flash Tool as the screen is too unresponsive to install on the phone in recovery mode.

I also have the MIUI ROM but it's not in scatter format so I can't Flash Tool it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

toby2111 wrote: »
    Is that a complicated procedure? I've never done it before but if there's an easy, step by step way, I might give it a go.
    Download all of the tools first, it can seem a bit frustrating, like you're not doing it correctly, but if you follow the guide to the letter, just keep going.

You will need to unlock the bootloader first (MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY)
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/
    Then you can use this
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/services/flash-tool/how-to-download-and-install-the-flash-tool/
    Some people have had better luck doing it this way, using this tool
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-stock-roms-t2240614
    And you may want to read around here before you do anything
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z/general
    Lockstep wrote: »
    Would an alternate ROM work like for a Xiaomi that also uses the MT6582 processor? Preferably one I can flash use SP Flash Tool as the screen is too unresponsive to install on the phone in recovery mode.

I also have the MIUI ROM but it's not in scatter format so I can't Flash Tool it.

No, unfortunately it has to be compatible. You could search to find out which phone it is, also check to see if anyone rebranded it.
    It seems to be broken English, and some Chinese translated sites are calling it the "Doo H1" by Scooby. Sometimes the "Scooby H1".
    As funny as it may sound, it may be the pronunciation that is being translated.

Here is a ROM for it (And the one I would probably try).
    http://www.romjd.com/Device/koobee-h1

I used Google Chrome auto translate for these links.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3615776096#!/l/p1

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%BF%E1%B1%C8&fr=ala0&loc=rec&qq-pf-to=pcqq.c2c

It seems to be gone from their site, but if you fire them an email, they may be able to give you another firmware
    http://www.koobeemobile.com/index.php?m=Home&c=Service&a=index

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Anybody here using the Xiaomi mi5 on Meteor? I'm wondering how well 4G works on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭b.gud

rhonin wrote: »
    Anybody here using the Xiaomi mi5 on Meteor? I'm wondering how well 4G works on it.

I got it last week and am on meteor. I haven't got the sim card yet, it's nano sim so if you are coming from another Android you will most likely need a new sim. When I get up and running in the next day or 2 I'll let you know how I get on

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Cheers. I have a Sony Z3 and coming up to the end of my contract so trying to decide if I should get another high end phone on bill pay or get a Chinese phone and go prepay

I've gone from bill on a Z3C to prepay on an Elephone p9000. No complaints at all. €200 and €20 a month, is cheaper than paying €200 for a new high end phone plus €40 a month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Put in my order for Ulefone Power yesterday based on feedback in this and other threads; In the end, the huge battery convinced me.
    Now to wait out the delivery time and hope it is as good as I think (where's that Hungry Hungry Hippos?).
    hoping it all works out positively...

Was going to ask about possibility of upgrading Android versions, but just found this site which seems to explain it (might be useful to others): http://blog.ulefone.com/tag/android-6-0/

Have also just discovered that GB are now selling the Power with Marshmallow as standard; listing I bought from on Amazon is still listed as 5.1.

Still not 100% sure I trust GB, and already feel like i'm taking a bit of a punt on the phone without their involvement :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

antodeco wrote: »
    I've gone from bill on a Z3C to prepay on an Elephone p9000.

Is the camera on p9000 much poorer than Z3C? Apart from that is there much difference between both phones?

Is the camera on p9000 much poorer than Z3C? Apart from that is there much difference between both phones?
    Have you a Z3 or a Z3 Compact?

http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/elephone-p9000,sony-xperia-z3,sony-xperia-z3-compact,vernee-apollo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Allyall wrote: »
    Have you a Z3 or a Z3 Compact?

I've a z3. Undecided between the 2 phones I mentioned above or an ulefone. Would like a decent camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I've a z3. Undecided between the 2 phones I mentioned above or an ulefone. Would like a decent camera.
    If you want a decent camera stick with the Z3 or up your budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Lads, a Xiaomi mi4c or the Redmi note 3 pro?

I'm leaning towards the note 3 as it's the newer phone but always said 5" screen is preferred screen size.

Have an Letv Le 1 X800 ordered but think I might cancel. From what I've read it seems to have a buggy OS and I really cant be arsed flashing various roms to see what suits.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Kavrocks wrote:
    Why not just keep the Z3 and go prepay?

The battery is starting to get very weak on the Z3, I also have the Z3 nearly two years so I fancy something new but hate the thought of getting a Chinese phone that's a step down

The battery is starting to get very weak on the Z3, I also have the Z3 nearly two years so I fancy something new but hate the thought of getting a Chinese phone that's a step down

THe Xperia Batteries in general seem to get very bad.

If selling the Z3, you'll probably get roughly €200 - €230 (at a guess).
    Add another €100 (roughly) to it and you would have a decent selection to choose from with a decent camera, if that's your priority.
    And they would be more of a sidestep than a step down.

Although, the "step down" in some of the mentioned phones, is only really in build quality and the camera.
    The build quality would still be rather good, but just not 10/10.
    The camera might be a little lower, but you'll pay for that anyway.

Big screen on this, but for example - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Letv-Le-MAX-2-Max2-4G-LTE-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-820-Quad-Core-4-6GB-RAM/311331_32662032252.html

Obviously there are tons more..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Thinking of upgrading myself, have a redmi note 2 I'd be looking to move on, what would be a realistic price for eBay I wonder?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I read all the reviews of the bad camera and bad battery on the p9000. I have my phone 5 days, and I honestly can't fault it. I'd say the camera is better than the Z3c and I'm getting a full day out of my battery with the same usage as my Z3c.

The build quality is excellent. The front of the phone is actually a thing of beauty (in black). The back, I think, is lovely as well, but may not be to everyone's taste.

I was unsure of the p9000 based on the reviews,but so far, I am 100% happy with my purchase.

Saying that, the annoying volume rocker noises and camera noise is doing my head in. It looks like I need to root it to delete those sounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The P9000 is beautiful hardware. The screen is incredible, the best I've seen on any phone so far.

The fault I had on the first one seemed to be faulty hardware in the microphone on that particular handset. Didn't notice any issues with the camera, but I was trying to troubleshoot the mic issue.

The issue I have with the second is that it's network locked - it was working perfectly before I put the SIM card in.

I tried a local repair shop today, they said they couldn't flash it, and I'm looking into it myself but not really comfortable doing it. Anyone know where I could just pay to get it flashed with a new ROM to unlock it?

Trojan wrote: »
    I tried a local repair shop today, they said they couldn't flash it, and I'm looking into it myself but not really comfortable doing it. Anyone know where I could just pay to get it flashed with a new ROM to unlock it?

Have you seen this?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/elephone-p9000/how-to/unlock-root-flash-elephone-p9000-step-t3325789

Specifically Post #9 (I think).

One of the best things with Chinese phones imo, is that many (Definitely not all) allow you to easily root and flash them with custom Roms. The Chinese may be good to excellent with hardware, but they are bad to terrible with firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Thats up there with the Commodore 64 phone!

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Have you seen this?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/elephone-p9000/how-to/unlock-root-flash-elephone-p9000-step-t3325789

Specifically Post #9 (I think).

One of the best things with Chinese phones imo, is that many (Definitely not all) allow you to easily root and flash them with custom Roms. The Chinese may be good to excellent with hardware, but they are bad to terrible with firmware.

Cheers, appreciate that. I'm giving it a go though finding it a total pain the ass though, so many dependencies. Currently downloading an updated version of the flash tool because the previous one didn't like the scatter file. Hoping that the downloaded drivers and ROM are correct, first links from the thread all 404'd. This is after rebooting to disable driver signatures, and reading German instructions translated via Google Translate.

So yeah I'd rather pay someone a few quid and have them do it :)

Understandable.
    Unfortunately their own tool doesn't look like it will ever be available - https://www.elephone.hk/ELE-flash.html

Cheers for that. I stuck the URL into followthatpage.com to keep an eye on it. But even if it becomes available, knowing Elephone software, it's at least a 50-50 bet as to whether it'd work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

200 quid to spend. Torn between redmi note pro 3, elephone P9000 or let le1 pro.

What would ye go for and do you know if all need to be rom flashed.

Thanks for any replies, probably going to order in the next day or two

stuchyg wrote: »
    200 quid to spend. Torn between redmi note pro 3, elephone P9000 or let le1 pro.

No comments on the other two, but on the P9000:
    • beautiful hardware
    • great spec for the money
    • camera & fingerprint scanner not the best
    • may have other issues e.g. microphone like I had with first
    • horrible support (malware in OTA update, ignoring support threads)

I wouldn't get one again, based on the support issues rather than the hardware problem on the device I RMA'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

The Letv pro is a cracking phone for its current price. It's software does have some issues but by no means makes it a nightmare to use. Great camera, audio beautiful screen and will get a day out of the battery with normal use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Cancelled my Ulephone Future order last week and got an Umi Super instead, delivered in less than a week from coolicool.

Working through the setup and migration at the moment, so far so good, will post an update in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭b.gud

rhonin wrote: »

Did a speed test just after I put in the sim. Got 55mb down and 26 my up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

aaronm13 wrote: »
    The Letv pro is a cracking phone for its current price. It's software does have some issues but by no means makes it a nightmare to use. Great camera, audio beautiful screen and will get a day out of the battery with normal use.

Is that the stock software, I presume I will need to flash it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Is that the stock software, I presume I will need to flash it too

Yeah, still just running stock. You will prow just have to update via the OS to the newest version, no flashing needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement