Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Cancelled my Ulephone Future order last week and got an Umi Super instead, delivered in less than a week from coolicool.

Working through the setup and migration at the moment, so far so good, will post an update in a few days.

What do you think of the camera? There's a lot to really like about this phone but the quality of the pictures it takes is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

polaris68 wrote: »
    What do you think of the camera? There's a lot to really like about this phone but the quality of the pictures it takes is poor.

Haven't really played with it much yet, will keep you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Anyone get their Ulefone Future yet? Mines en route from TomTop apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Still looking at the Xiaomi Mi Max...
    kimovil suggested these guys as the heapest but I've never heard of them http://www.alegrecompra.com/xiaomi-mimax-based-blanco-oro-6-44-fhd-4850mah-fingerprint-smartphone.html

Anyone seen or used this place before?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Pique wrote: »
    Anyone get their Ulefone Future yet? Mines en route from TomTop apparently.

Cancelled my order as it was taking too long (ordered May 4th). I complained on their Facebook page (basically said no point in charging customers priority shipping, if they can't guarantee when the phone would be in stock). They ended up blocking me from their page and all my e-mails bounced back from them all of a sudden.

Never buying a Ulefone device as a result. When I had a general query/complaint, they end up blocking me! I'd hate to think what way theyd be if I had a fault!

• Advertisement

My LG G2 has given up the ghost after many great years (screen randomly goes black during use and refuses to light back up for an indeterminate amount of time) which is a pity.

I'm dead against the idea of any of the giant phablet phones. Thinking that the G2 is probably as big as I should ever go.

That being said, this http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/elephone-p9000,lg-g2,sony-xperia-z5-compact,vernee-apollo is making me really consider that Vernee beast. Tricky balance to be found here. Any other phones with a better size that I should be considering?

(equally, if this screen issue is an easy fix, or resembles any faults that people have had experience with before, I'm all ears and would be happy to keep the G2 going!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Vernee/P9000 might seem giant compared the g2 when you first handle it but it doesn't take long at all to get used to a bigger phone. I'd consider these phablets - as opposed to a Galaxy note with a 5.7" screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

My experiences & thoughts on buying a Chinese Android:

http://amdsoft.com/chinese-androids/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

That being said, this http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/elephone-p9000,lg-g2,sony-xperia-z5-compact,vernee-apollo is making me really consider that Vernee beast. Tricky balance to be found here. Any other phones with a better size that I should be considering?
    The Nexus 5X?
    Trojan wrote: »

You might be happy to pay a premium to avoid all that. At this point, I would.
    I came to similar conclusions with my experience too of Chinese Android phones.

Kavrocks wrote: »

Battery issues would kill me. Also, the size jump from G2 to 5x is bigger than from 5x to Vernee Apollo Lite!

I just want my G2 tbh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Battery issues would kill me. Also, the size jump from G2 to 5x is bigger than from 5x to Vernee Apollo Lite!

I just want my G2 tbh :(
    What battery issues?

Kavrocks wrote: »
    What battery issues?

Smaller batter than G2 with higher powered chips. Not very well rated on most of the comparison sites I've checked (or so I thought).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Haven't really played with it much yet, will keep you posted.

I've been playing around with a couple of indoor shots in work today. White Balance looks to be a bit of an issue when leaving it on auto, taking the same shot with it on auto and with the white balance set for fluorescent light gives very different results. the auto setting gives very washed out colours while the fluorescent gives much closer to real life (with the pics taken under florescent lights).

I'm guessing that whatever algorithm they use for the auto settings is not up to much. I'll have to try it in some other lighting conditions and compare the output on auto and custom settings. They're my first impressions anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

I ordered a redmi 3 pro from oppomart and I arrived yesterday. Im using the phone as it came out of the box, haven't rooted it changed software or unlocked the bootloader.

So far I am very happy with the phone so far the only thing that is bugging me is that my ulster bank app won't open for me. when I tap it it opens and closes again immediately.

I previously had trouble with ulster bank app on an old zte phone I had a few years ago but it was due to the app not being allowed to work because of unsigned security flags on a custom ROM.

Has anyone else experienced this problem on a xiaomi phone and have they found a solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I've been playing around with a couple of indoor shots in work today. White Balance looks to be a bit of an issue when leaving it on auto, taking the same shot with it on auto and with the white balance set for fluorescent light gives very different results. the auto setting gives very washed out colours while the fluorescent gives much closer to real life (with the pics taken under florescent lights).

I'm guessing that whatever algorithm they use for the auto settings is not up to much. I'll have to try it in some other lighting conditions and compare the output on auto and custom settings. They're my first impressions anyway.

Yeah, the auto-focus appears to be problematic as well particularly for close-up photography. It definitely needs a major software upgrade. Of course whether it gets one is another issue.

I've rooted mine and installed Xposed so other than the camera I'm pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

polaris68 wrote: »
    Yeah, the auto-focus appears to be problematic as well particularly for close-up photography. It definitely needs a major software upgrade. Of course whether it gets one is another issue.

I've rooted mine and installed Xposed so other than the camera I'm pretty happy with it.
    Try different camera apps, stock is usually a bit rough on every Android:

https://www.androidpit.com/best-android-camera-app

I like Open Camera for the quick pic widget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Different experiences for everyone I guess. I wouldn't have bought from your Aliexpress seller myself as they don't have a lot of feedback and the Spanish shop don't have a huge selection indicating to me that perhaps they are not a large operation. Interesting in the Aliexpress seller's response to your feedback though - they reply stating that your order numberwasn't from them and they quote their order number (a different number) with you?

I've had to send a Ulefone Power back for a touchscreen issue myself which I bought from Gizchina shop. I sent it to some repair centre Slovenia, then they informed me it would have to go back to China and it would take more than 3 weeks. They need to replace the touchscreen and asked me to pay 35 usd for a new screen and pay for shipping back to me. I protested as the screen failed (dead band across the middle) after less than 6 weeks. Got no joy though.

That's the risk you take I guess. Hopefully the fail was a one off because the Power is a great phone otherwise. And what kind of a premium would you pay for similar spec in the mainstream market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Window-shopping for phones right now, and I'm peering at the "UMI TOUCH X 4G Phablet". Looks like a very impressive spec for the money... any major catches? Or counter-recommendations? Or... thoughts on it in general?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

corkie wrote: »
    The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro is not much of an upgrade compared to my current Xperia Z1.

My Z1 phone batery on the way out, losing charge extremely quick or not charging properly. Or the phone not reporting the correct charge on it.

So in now in the market for a new phone, to do me until more options are available with daydream support.

Having a look again at Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro from aliexpress.

Seems to be positive reviews from the above seller, even someone from Ireland.

On the 3 network here and reported working on UK 3, so I am assuming it will work here.

Or should I see if I can hold out a while longer and get a ZTE Axon 7?

Edit: 7 July 2015 22:00, just order the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro @ €199.65 including DHL EU express shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Android 6.0.1 has just been released for the letv pro 1 CN model and first impressions are very good. WiFi is definitely better with a much stronger connection and GPS seems improved too, just tested briefly this morning and got a lock straight away. I'll check battery life throughout the day. Really happy these two issues are sorted. I'm sure the US model will get the update soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

gn3dr wrote: »
    Different experiences for everyone I guess. I wouldn't have bought from your Aliexpress seller myself as they don't have a lot of feedback

35k reviews is not enough?

superegrow.jpg

gn3dr wrote: »
    Interesting in the Aliexpress seller's response to your feedback though - they reply stating that your order numberwasn't from them and they quote their order number (a different number) with you?

Yep. They're mistaken or lying. It doesn't really matter which at this point. There's also the issue of the open box and dirty charger, but no point in arguing that when they wouldn't accept a straight-up return request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

35k reviews is not enough?

Yep. They're mistaken or lying. It doesn't really matter which at this point. There's also the issue of the open box and dirty charger, but no point in arguing that when they wouldn't accept a straight-up return request.

Could you not declare it as faulty and send it back? I think you can still do that.
    Tell them that you want a replacement.
    http://www.elephone.cc/warranty-returns.html
    EDIT - I would also argue (if they did) that the 7 days has expired because you were trying on Aliexpress, and have proof.

Alternatively, these are the Official repairs under warranty for Elephone Europe (They also have .de) the UK one isn't fully setup for Elephone yet afaik.
    http://www.tomrepair.es/index.php?lang=en

EDIT - I stand corrected, they have the Elephone logo on the UK site too, not sure if they are official yet though - http://www.tomrepair.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone got hands on experience of the Vernee Apollo Lite yet?

I noticed its price has dropped to around €200.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Trond wrote: »
    Anyone got hands on experience of the Vernee Apollo Lite yet?

I noticed its price has dropped to around €200.

Still on pre-sale, not out until the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

My wife needs a new phone and I'm trying to decide between a Moto G4 and a chinese phone. Any advice? Looking around the Moto G4 price range and want something reliable.

dave_t wrote: »
    My wife needs a new phone and I'm trying to decide between a Moto G4 and a chinese phone. Any advice? Looking around the Moto G4 price range and want something reliable.

Worth looking at this -
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Mi4C-5-0inch-Android-5-1-2GB-16GB-Smartphone-4G-FDD-LTE-64-bit-Snapdragon-808-Hexa-Core-1-8GHz-13-0MP-5-0MP-USB-Type-C-Edge-Tap---Black-366259.html

Allyall wrote: »

Worth looking at this -
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Mi4C-5-0inch-Android-5-1-2GB-16GB-Smartphone-4G-FDD-LTE-64-bit-Snapdragon-808-Hexa-Core-1-8GHz-13-0MP-5-0MP-USB-Type-C-Edge-Tap---Black-366259.html

Thanks, do these get regular android updates do you know? Is there anything better for around the 200 mark? I was looking at the ulefone power but was put off by the camera.

Thanks, do these get regular android updates do you know? Is there anything better for around the 200 mark? I was looking at the ulefone power but was put off by the camera.

Yeah, have look here. Change the slider to suit your budget, preferences and a few options will be available.

http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones

Yep - they get regular updates.

EDIT - When budgeting around €200, put in about €170 - €180 on that site, as it doesn't take VAT/Duty into account.

Allyall wrote: »

Yeah, have look here. Change the slider to suit your budget, preferences and a few options will be available.

http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones

Yep - they get regular updates.

EDIT - When budgeting around 200, put in about 170 - 180 on that site, as it doesn't take VAT/Duty into account.

Cheers, I'll take a look. Do you think they'd be better than a Moto G4? Or is that the safer option?

• Advertisement

Cheers, I'll take a look. Do you think they'd be better than a Moto G4? Or is that the safer option?

You can compare them on that site too. For example - http://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/letv-s1-pro-64gb,motorola-moto-g4-2gb,xiaomi-mi4c

And if you see a phone you like, ask here if anyone has one or info about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement