Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

Are amazon as good with the pricing or are the Chinese shops still better?
    Pretty much the same when you add the customs you'd be paying from Chinese sellers
    Well it was when I bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Yeah I ordered my last 2 phones through Amazon. Delighted with service and price. Currently using a Bluboo Xfire 2 and for the price it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

smilerf wrote: »
    Pretty much the same when you add the customs you'd be paying from Chinese sellers
    Well it was when I bought

For my Xiamoi Redmi Note 3 Pro, it was €75 cheaper on Aliexpress than from Amazon. Came to €160 compared to the cheapest I could find on Amazon, €225 both with shipping included.

Seller guarantees no customs if you use his delivery method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭skippy15

After ordering my xiaomi Redmi note 3 pro from geekbuying over a week ago, I just got an email saying product not in stock because its too popular-
    This is despite the fact I received a shipping and tracking number for it, anyone any experience of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Just wondering about installing the Global ROM on a Redmi Note 3 Pro. Is it fairly straightforward or do I have to be concerned with unlocking bootloaders etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Just wondering about installing the Global ROM on a Redmi Note 3 Pro. Is it fairly straightforward or do I have to be concerned with unlocking bootloaders etc.

You don't have to unlock bootloaders to flash official roms.

If your device is on a Vendor/Chinese Rom, you will need to use Mi PC Suite or use EDL / Download Mode. Instructions here.

Unfortunately you can not use the updater app to switch rom versions.

Unlocking the bootloader is an easy enough process, which will allow you to choose custom roms and root your device. See the linked wiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thats great info thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

HI All!
    Finally got my ulefone future and I have to say I love it!
    Apart from one fatal flaw!
    The GPS is truly aughul!
    There seems to be a software glitch where the GPS goes down every few minutes and then takes ages to reconnect!
    I am not sure if this is a deal breaker for some, me, I will wait for a software update that will fix it!
    Battery on the phone lasts ages, charges in less than 2 hours from empty to about 95% and the screen is beautiful, no bloatware from what I can see, the fingerprinter scanner works well, as well as you set up the same finger a couple of times (2 in my case).
    All and all I paid around 180 euro for the phone and it is totally worth it (apart from the gps).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I don't have a Chinese phone but I've being keeping an eye on this thread for a while and it seems to be a common theme about the Chinese phones. Most say their phone arrived and it's great apart from one thing which is xyz...

Personally it would crack me up if one of two things didn't work properly on the phone but others not so much. I suppose you get what you pay for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭Soarer

Lukker- wrote: »
    For my Xiamoi Redmi Note 3 Pro, it was €75 cheaper on Aliexpress than from Amazon. Came to €160 compared to the cheapest I could find on Amazon, €225 both with shipping included.

Seller guarantees no customs if you use his delivery method.

Any chance you could PM me the seller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I don't have a Chinese phone but I've being keeping an eye on this thread for a while and it seems to be a common theme about the Chinese phones. Most say their phone arrived and it's great apart from one thing which is xyz...

Personally it would crack me up if one of two things didn't work properly on the phone but others not so much. I suppose you get what you pay for

There's not a single phone out there that doesn't have a flaw somewhere, not even the ones you pay 800 or 900 for.

So since people understand this they'd rather pay 150-200 for a phone ;)

Jelle1880 wrote:
    There's not a single phone out there that doesn't have a flaw somewhere, not even the ones you pay 800 or 900 for.

Jelle1880 wrote:
    So since people understand this they'd rather pay 150-200 for a phone

I have a Sony Z3 and have never had one problem with it so I don't agree with you there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

The battery is starting to get very weak on the Z3, I also have the Z3 nearly two years so I fancy something new but hate the thought of getting a Chinese phone that's a step down
    I have a Sony Z3 and have never had one problem with it so I don't agree with you there

How is the battery these days ?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I had a Z3 with a glitch touchscreen and bad wifi performance. The Mi Max I'm using now has been perfect so far.

I think people understand that if you pay €200 instead of €500 for a phone there will be compromises to save the difference in money. As long as people read up and go in with eyes open there's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Just because your phone is fine doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

The Z3 has known issues too. Shading on the camera, unresponsive touch screen, issues connecting to wifi, battery drains fast,...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've a Redmi Note 3 pro and it's fuppin amazeballs.

Yeah, that's right, I said amazeballs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Well if we had a general smartphone thread like this you'd see similar posts for premium smartphones.

For example:

Hey guys received my iPhone 6S today. Love the design and software but battery is a bit meh and there's no expandable storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Well if we had a general smartphone thread like this you'd see similar posts for premium smartphones.

For example:

Hey guys received my iPhone 6S today. Love the design and software but battery is a bit meh and there's no expandable storage.

And the screen cracked when I took a selfie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukker- View Post
    Hong Kong Goldway on Aliexpress would be my recommendation. If you select sellers shipping method you should get the phone in under 10 days without customs. It comes with the international firmware too, so you can get OTA updates.

Sorry, I was unable to reply with quotes as I'm still a new user.
    I have ordered with the above last Tuesday. I selected sellers shipping method and the phone is still in China, but has been marked as shipped since Friday. I have got onto them and they keep replying saying Sellers shipping method is 30-50 days.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Hong Kong Goldway on Aliexpress would be my recommendation. If you select sellers shipping method you should get the phone in under 10 days without customs. It comes with the international firmware too, so you can get OTA updates.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Prime-32GB-ROM-Official-Global-Firmware-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-650/311331_32672119908.html
    dercunx wrote: »

I have ordered with the above last Tuesday. I selected sellers shipping method and the phone is still in China, but has been marked as shipped since Friday. I have got onto them and they keep replying saying Sellers shipping method is 30-50 days.

It says on the site that sellers shipping method is 28 days (+7 days processing), and if you do it by DHL which is cheaper at the moment, you could get caught with VAT.
    6.Only you choose ""Seller's Shipping Method" can enjoy European Union Express,If you choose "Aliexpress Standard Shipping" or "DHL",maybe you need pay the custom duty.

Although the feedback says that people got it in 5 to 12 days by shippers method.

Glad I got mine from "Top One", may have paid a bit more because I Ordered a Nilken Case with it and they included a few gifts (Sim Adapter, 2 Screen Protectors + more).

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote:
    How is the battery these days ?

I have the phone nearly two years so I would expect the battery to start getting weak. I used to get two full days on a charge now I only get one day

corkie wrote: »
    It says on the site that sellers shipping method is 28 days (+7 days processing), and if you do it by EU Express which is cheaper at the moment, you could get caught with VAT.

Although the feedback says that people got it in 5 to 12 days by shippers method.

Glad I got mine from "Top One", may have paid a bit more because I Ordered a Nilken Case with it and they included a few gifts (Sim Adapter, 2 Screen Protectors + more).

EU Express guarantees no shipping duty.

Mine was shipped within 2, arrived after 10 or so.

dercunx wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukker- View Post

Sorry, I was unable to reply with quotes as I'm still a new user.

Sounds like you are just getting bot replies, I'd give it a few days first. If it was shipped on Friday it may not ship out until today, and Chinese tracking is generally pretty terrible, gets much better when it reaches Europe.

Xiaomi unveils Redmi Pro with dual cameras, deca-core Helio X25 SoC

The Redmi Pro will be available from ¥1,499, which comes out to the equivalent of $225. That's for the base model with a Helio X20 SoC, 3GB of RAM and 32GB storage. The Helio X25 model with 3GB of RAM and 64GB storage will set customers back ¥1,699 ($255), and the high-end variant with Helio X25, 4GB of RAM and 128GB flash storage will debut for ¥1,999 ($300).

Sales will kick off in China from August 8, and the phone should make its way to other markets later this quarter. What do you guys make of the Redmi Pro?

gsmarena specs and compared side by side with RN3

I am happy with my RN3 Pro, but people considering getting it might decided to compare it with the above before hand.

Xiaomi unveils Redmi Pro with dual cameras, deca-core Helio X25 SoC

gsmarena specs and compared side by side with RN3

I am happy with my RN3 Pro, but people considering getting it might decided to compare it with the above before hand.

Dual cameras is interesting, but my guess is the software side of things it will be dreadful and wasted.

The Helio X20 and X25 while powerful on paper, I still think Snapdragon processors in the RN3 Pro offer better performance, but maybe the deca core will perform better at multi-tasking.

I don't trust Mediatek processors in Europe, they tend to have dodgy GPS.

What are the possibilities of them releasing a Snapdragon version in the future? Like they did with the RN3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

What are the possibilities of them releasing a Snapdragon version in the future? Like they did with the RN3.

If they want to sell it in India there will be a snapdragon version. Some legal issues mean they cant sell Mediatek there. So in short, there's a pretty good chance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-12-11/ericsson-seeks-patent-fees-from-xiaomi-in-india-lawsuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hope it is okay to ask a question in this thread.
    How can I get information on the bands used for each of the networks.
    What Bands are used for mobile internet? What band are used for phone signal?
    Nearly out of contract with tesco mobile but open to sim only plan with most any network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Nearly out of contract with tesco mobile but open to sim only plan with most any network.

I think theres a wiki page that has them but I cant find them even with a google search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

You could try this site, it tells you what networks your phone will work it
    http://willmyphonework.net/

or this http://www.spectrummonitoring.com/frequencies/#Ireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement