Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

bought redmi note 3 pro prime off goldway on ali express(thanks to lukker for link)

ordered on 22nd july, arrived yesterday, no customs,

tracking is a waste of time, phone seemed to be sitting in one spot for four days when it was actually in transit,
    according to tracking it was also heading to Poland at one stage!

haven't done a lot with the phone yet but it feels nice in hand and looks the part, came with google play and playstore installed, the "themes" option is nice as well,

fingerprint scanner is great, very responsive,

some reviews say that the camera isn't good but seems fine to me,
    if someone is that worried about taking a great photo they wont be using a smartphone anyway,

only letdown is that I couldnt get the ir remote to work with my samsung tv but didnt spend too long at it,

I went with this phone because of the global rom, but if i was to root the phone( so i could move apps to sd card etc) is it difficult, or dodgy?
    and what other advantages are there to rooting the phone?
    thanks in advance for any replies

Did you go for the Sellers shipping option?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

yeah,

cost about 15 quid,

as i said the tracking isnt great, had been marked "awaiting shipping" in china for three days but next update had it in Roissy, France,
    moved onto some place called Hinckley in England,

next update was phone heading to Poland(!) but checked again within ten minutes and this had cleared, didnt hear anymore about it until i got the phone call from the DPD driver,

when you take into account there were two weekends plus a bank holiday i actually received the phone in six working days which is not to be sniffed at,

so the speed is great, if you were to buy from there just dont be freakin out (like i was!) because of the lack of info from tracking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

corkie wrote: »
    It is a MediaTek device, do not expect allot of custom roms, if any.

More discussion on it here.

As an alternative: -
    Xiaomi Redmi Pro Mini rumored with 5.2-inch OLED screen, Snapdragon 652

Thanks for that.

I dont mind waiting a few months for the snapdragon version thats expected....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Avoid Elephone at all costs tbh.

Delighted with the P9000 that I have TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

yeah,

cost about 15 quid,

as i said the tracking isnt great, had been marked "awaiting shipping" in china for three days but next update had it in Roissy, France,
    moved onto some place called Hinckley in England,

next update was phone heading to Poland(!) but checked again within ten minutes and this had cleared, didnt hear anymore about it until i got the phone call from the DPD driver,

when you take into account there were two weekends plus a bank holiday i actually received the phone in six working days which is not to be sniffed at,

so the speed is great, if you were to buy from there just dont be freakin out (like i was!) because of the lack of info from tracking

Nice, was it the Global ROM version? Notice any bloatware or Chinese apps? Are you happy to leave as is or do you intend to do a clean install of a ROM?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

From reading the last few pages it seems that the Redmi Note 3 Pro is one of the most popular phones and best bang for my buck. However there seems to be a few variants of this model.Is the 3GB RAM 32GB ROM the best version?

Im thinking of buying from this guy http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Snapdragon-650-Hexa-Core-5-5-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM/342812_32597684693.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.10.qzk8SX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

pcuser wrote: »
    From reading the last few pages it seems that the Redmi Note 3 Pro is one of the most popular phones and best bang for my buck. However there seems to be a few variants of this model.Is the 3GB RAM 32GB ROM the best version?

Im thinking of buying from this guy http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-3-Pro-Snapdragon-650-Hexa-Core-5-5-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM/342812_32597684693.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.10.qzk8SX

Not sure which version . But check you get all the band's working for your network before you buy.
    www.willmyphonework.net

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

pcuser wrote: »

That's the best version

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Nice, was it the Global ROM version? Notice any bloatware or Chinese apps? Are you happy to leave as is or do you intend to do a clean install of a ROM?

Its the global version, not much bloatware that i can see, havent had my sim in it yet as im waiting for a smaller sim from 48,
    im happy enough with the way it is now and wouldnt want to change anything if its not necessary,
    but thats partly down to the fact that i wouldnt have any experience in rooting, flashing etc..

I used the phone a lot last night and it is brilliant in so many ways for the price but... the fingerprint scanner is playing up!

was working fine for two days then stopped recognizing my finger, would try three times and would tell me to enter password instead,changed fingerprint to different finger and works ok sometimes but not 100%, have to reboot at times to get working,

any one have experience of this? is it a software issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

eamonnq wrote: »
    Delighted with the P9000 that I have TBH.

I think you're the lucky one!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

as i said the tracking isnt great, had been marked "awaiting shipping" in china for three days but next update had it in Roissy, France, moved onto some place called Hinckley in England,

I think you're the lucky one!

What is the known issues with the elephones?

What phone have you got now if you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

What is the known issues with the elephones?

What phone have you got now if you don't mind me asking

I have the Oukitel K6000 pro, Ive had 2 Elephones and they weren't great builds, terrible battery, wifi wasn't great and one kept crashing.

I think you're the lucky one!:pac:

Must be, although maybe there is something wrong with it that I just haven't discovered yet!!! :D

Actually could really do with a phone that takes 2 sims at the same time as a MicroSD card (might be time to start looking for a new phone!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Must be, although maybe there is something wrong with it that I just haven't discovered yet!!! :D

Actually could really do with a phone that takes 2 sims at the same time as a MicroSD card (might be time to start looking for a new phone!!)

A hardware mod for RN3 that allows the above.

Haven't tried myself, because I don't have a second sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A hardware mod for RN3 that allows the above.

Haven't tried myself, because I don't have a second sim.

That is brilliant! Click on Show Content to see pics.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    That is brilliant! Click on Show Content to see pics.

Am almost tempted to try that myself.

Just have to pickup a 128gb micro sd card first!!

Am almost tempted to try that myself.

Just have to pickup a 128gb micro sd card first!!

Here are the instructions for your phone.

Just spotted these comments: -
    Just a quick note, this will not work on the p9000 as the sim tray has a different aspect with the insertion of the micro sd card and the chip will not line up as it has to cover the micro sd card points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Lads views on ordering from

http://www.oppomart.com/xiaomi.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

but1er wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057438440&query=oppomart Loads of people have bought from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Ordered my Note 3 from them, took 8 days to deliver and didn't get caught by customs. The only thing was they had installed a vendor rom that got rid of some of the chinese apps but I was unable to update through the updater app

• Advertisement

Ordered my Note 3 from them, took 8 days to deliver and didn't get caught by customs. The only thing was they had installed a vendor rom that got rid of some of the chinese apps but I was unable to update through the updater app

Did you get around it in the end?

Did you get around it in the end?

Oh yeah I just install a custom rom on the phone, still won't be able to update with the official rom but can just install a custom rom based on newer version

Now the question is what redmi phone do I get

Do I get the redmi pro or do I get the 3 pro???

Questions questions

Questions questions

depends on if you want a 5 inch or 5.5 inch phone

Questions questions

For the Redmi Pro: -
    It is a MediaTek device, do not expect allot of custom roms, if any.

More discussion on it here.

As an alternative: -
    Xiaomi Redmi Pro Mini rumored with 5.2-inch OLED screen, Snapdragon 652

Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Snapdragon-650 Variant Gets Official CyanogenMod Support
    August 3, 2016

[ROM][OFFICIAL][kenzo][6.0.1] CyanogenMod 13.0.1

Been reading the thread, depending on what Fingerprint model you have it may or not work, and cause problem if it doesn't

Also issues reported with connecting to data.

Also some random reboots, but may have been fixed in today's nightly.

I think, I will stick with xiaomi.eu weeklys for now.

Has anyone here been brave enough to install this CM?

It goes without saying but follow the instructions, if your going to use it.
    + Backup all Partitions with Alka TWRP before changing to MM based rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

I ordered a redmi 3 pro from oppomart and I arrived yesterday. Im using the phone as it came out of the box, haven't rooted it changed software or unlocked the bootloader.

So far I am very happy with the phone so far the only thing that is bugging me is that my ulster bank app won't open for me. when I tap it it opens and closes again immediately.

I previously had trouble with ulster bank app on an old zte phone I had a few years ago but it was due to the app not being allowed to work because of unsigned security flags on a custom ROM.

Has anyone else experienced this problem on a xiaomi phone and have they found a solution?

I have just received my Redmi Note 2 pro and am having the same problem with the Ulster Bank app. Did you find a fix for this?

Here are the instructions for your phone.

Just spotted these comments: -

Thanks for that, time for a new phone so!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

dercunx wrote:
    I have just received my Redmi Note 2 pro and am having the same problem with the Ulster Bank app. Did you find a fix for this?

Never found a fix tried changing some of the settings for the apps permissions and set it up as a dual app. Tried 2 different roms. Tried making it a system app using titanium backup after rootining the phone. I've just given up on it now and saved a link to the login page of their internet banking on my browser.

After a month having the phone now I must say I am very happy with it. Battery life is great the MIUI operating system doesn't bother me at all. It works very well and I never find any lag even though it's said to be resource hungry probably because of the 3gb ram in the pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Hi

Wondering if someone can offer some advice

I have a jiayu s3 advance and running an extreme ROM

Recently did an ota update and all seemed fine

However when I travel abroad my sim doesn't register at all

Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement