Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Hi Folks,

On the lookout for a new phone, have been looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Prime but I want to be sure I pick something compatible with 4G on Vodafone.

Anyone got any recommendations? Not in a mad rush, so if the next big thing is a few weeks away I dont mind waiting (though the cash is burning a hole!)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

Have had the Umi Super for over 2 weeks now, ordered from Coolicool EU Warehouse, arrived in less than a week, was great.

Phone itself is very good, very happy so far, time will tell if it lasts. Only negatives so far are the sound (but I have since found out the system 'sound enhancement' settings once switched off sorted it out) and the camera. There was a OTA released today, not quite sure what it's fixed but the camera leaves a lot to be desired, fine for me though who isn't bothered by it too much.
    Only other hiccup might be the reception/3/4g dropping a bit and GPS not too great, but that could be on 3's part too.

The battery is great and overall for just over 200 euro delivered it's a great bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Hi Folks,

On the lookout for a new phone, have been looking at the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Prime but I want to be sure I pick something compatible with 4G on Vodafone.

Anyone got any recommendations? Not in a mad rush, so if the next big thing is a few weeks away I dont mind waiting (though the cash is burning a hole!)

http://willmyphonework.net/

RN3 Pro is partially compatible with Vodafone 4G. Only using one of the 4G bands.

I'm with Three under similar setup.

You could look out if you can get the special edition version (kate) which also has band 20, but custom rom support maybe limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Kylzer911 wrote: »
    Have had the Umi Super for over 2 weeks now, ordered from Coolicool EU Warehouse, arrived in less than a week, was great.

Phone itself is very good, very happy so far, time will tell if it lasts. Only negatives so far are the sound (but I have since found out the system 'sound enhancement' settings once switched off sorted it out) and the camera. There was a OTA released today, not quite sure what it's fixed but the camera leaves a lot to be desired, fine for me though who isn't bothered by it too much.
    Only other hiccup might be the reception/3/4g dropping a bit and GPS not too great, but that could be on 3's part too.

The battery is great and overall for just over 200 euro delivered it's a great bargain.

Try Open Camera, Sensor Camera and camera mx - all off play Store - I got a cheap UMI ROME X and i like using these camera apps better than the built in camera app.

Try Open Camera, Sensor Camera and camera mx - all off play Store - I got a cheap UMI ROME X and i like using these camera apps better than the built in camera app.

Cheers for that, had a look there, tough to decipher if there's any quality difference but the apps themselves are good. Any other titbits you'd suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

For the GPS, google Mediatek GPS fix or Umi GPS fix. It's a problem that seems to affect all phones with Mediatek processors in Europe, but I've heard there is a fix. Not sure if your phone has to be rooted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Lukker- wrote: »
    For the GPS, google Mediatek GPS fix or Umi GPS fix. It's a problem that seems to affect all phones with Mediatek processors in Europe, but I've heard there is a fix. Not sure if your phone has to be rooted though.

Not them all,I have the Redmi Note 2 and it doesnt miss a beat when using GPS,afaik it was only on the older mediatek chips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

wiz569 wrote: »
    Not them all,I have the Redmi Note 2 and it doesnt miss a beat when using GPS,afaik it was only on the older mediatek chips

Ah, must just be some of them. Few friends got the Ulefone Future and they are plagued with GPS problems. Probably varies phone to phone and there could be another culprit too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lukker- wrote: »
    Ah, must just be some of them. Few friends got the Ulefone Future and they are plagued with GPS problems. Probably varies phone to phone and there could be another culprit too
    I've the ulefone power. No issues with it at all. Bought it fulfilled by Amazon UK.

Cheers for that, had a look there, tough to decipher if there's any quality difference but the apps themselves are good. Any other titbits you'd suggest?

not off the top of my head apart from the gps fix if needed., Oh and i replaced the Dialer with true phone off play store because i liked it better than the stock dialer and its highly customizable, I use Handcent Next SMS because I like it better than the stock SMS app, and you can add reminder sounds for missed text messages. - I have my phone rooted so i downloaded 'hidden menus' went into engineer mode receiver / hardware testing and boosted up my speaker and bluetooth sounds because they were too low , speaker is a bit distorted now but rather have it like that than too low, now its a nice n loud ringtone that I can hear when its ringing :)

• Advertisement

not off the top of my head apart from the gps fix if needed., Oh and i replaced the Dialer with true phone off play store because i liked it better than the stock dialer and its highly customizable, I use Handcent Next SMS because I like it better than the stock SMS app, and you can add reminder sounds for missed text messages. - I have my phone rooted so i downloaded 'hidden menus' went into engineer mode receiver / hardware testing and boosted up my speaker and bluetooth sounds because they were too low , speaker is a bit distorted now but rather have it like that than too low, now its a nice n loud ringtone that I can hear when its ringing :)

Brilliant thanks for that, can't really get my head around the GPS fix. Does the phone need to be rooted, or is it that physical fix I'm seeing on youtube?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Any recommendations on a super budget phone? Mother has broken another handset. I think it was a moto g last time for about 50 (offer in tesco). 5 inch screen or less, if I could put cyanogen on it, that would be a bonus. Usage may stretch to checking the weather / news on phone. Cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

MarkR wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a super budget phone? Mother has broken another handset. I think it was a moto g last time for about 50 (offer in tesco). 5 inch screen or less, if I could put cyanogen on it, that would be a bonus. Usage may stretch to checking the weather / news on phone. Cheap and cheerful.

Bluboo Picasso/Cubot Note S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

So after a couple of months use of this phone here is my verdict

Pros;

Battery Life is great. 2 days with heavy use is typical

Memory

Runs fast

Good camera and screen is crystal clear

GPS great

Cons
    Very heavy. Like pull your trousers down heavy

Signal 3g/4g isnt great

charge time takes a good while

Cant be rooted, not that I know of anyway

BIGGEST CON: the screen. I dropped min the other day and the two top corners smashed immediately. And it wasnt from a height. Then the phone fell out of my bed yesterday on to a laminate floor (so about 1.5 foot of a drop) and there is a crack running from the top of the screen right to the bottom. A replacement screen is 50 shipped and then to get it done will prob cost about 30 odd, so screen replacement will prob be more than half the original cost of the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

I havnt been following new devices much so any recommendations?
    had a note 3 but sold it.
    Need a phone with good battery performance like the note 3. needs good hifi audio chip.
    Think I saw a new Umi that may tick the boxes but im staying away from Umi.

something less than $300
    EDIT: on gizchina now...anyone have ulefone vienna feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

thehamo wrote: »

Pros;

Memory

Runs fast

GPS great

Cons

Signal 3g/4g isnt great

BIGGEST CON: the screen. I dropped min the other day and the two top corners smashed immediately. And it wasnt from a height. Then the phone fell out of my bed yesterday on to a laminate floor (so about 1.5 foot of a drop) and there is a crack running from the top of the screen right to the bottom. A replacement screen is 50 shipped and then to get it done will prob cost about 30 odd, so screen replacement will prob be more than half the original cost of the phone!

Which phone?
    The screen replacement no matter whether a Chinese branded or mainstream big brand will cost that. Hardly a scam? Did you have a screen protector or a case on it ?

MarkR wrote: »
    Kilboor wrote: »
    Bluboo Picasso/Cubot Note S

The Cubot Note S is on flash deal (at present) with the aliexpress app $79.99 (down from $83.99), probably be caught for VAT though. Plus it is 5.5 inch phone. Also a Mediatek device.

GBX wrote: »
    Which phone?
    The screen replacement no matter whether a Chinese branded or mainstream big brand will cost that. Hardly a scam? Did you have a screen protector or a case on it ?

Never called it a scam. Its under the pros and cons I was saying the biggest con aka down side.

Its the oukitel k6000 pro as mentioned in the title of the post

And yes had both gel case supplied and screen protector on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭horse7

Pros;

Memory

Runs fast

GPS great

Cons

Signal 3g/4g isnt great

Nice phone,what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Pros;

Memory

Runs fast

GPS great

Cons

Signal 3g/4g isnt great

How do you find the sound quality through ear phones? I have the k4000 pro, great phone only downside is the audio wit the earphones and it seems only the ones that came with the phone work

• Advertisement

How do you find the sound quality through ear phones? I have the k4000 pro, great phone only downside is the audio wit the earphones and it seems only the ones that came with the phone work

No issues at all with it. My biggest gripe is the screen tho the k4000 has a much tougher screen so it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭RockBadger

Hi all. Normally I go through China EU stores but phone I'm set on is only available from HQ and is going cheap as chips at the mo(€115). What would the additional customs charge be on this approx? Tis the standard free shipping that takes a month btw. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

23% vat and a handling charge of 7 euro. So about 32ish

eamonnq wrote: »
    23% vat and a handling charge of 7 euro. So about 32ish

Cheers. That would still be a good deal. Shame about the wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

RockBadger wrote: »
    Cheers. That would still be a good deal. Shame about the wait!

Would you not check on Aliexpress and see if any of the 'customs-free' sellers have something similar if not the exact one?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Would you not check on Aliexpress and see if any of the 'customs-free' sellers have something similar if not the exact one?

Cant see on Aliexpress anymore-ZTE nubia z7 max. Tis getting rarer on most sites now as its pretty old now but still great specs at a fraction of original price.

RockBadger wrote: »
    Cant see on Aliexpress anymore-ZTE nubia z7 max. Tis getting rarer on most sites now as its pretty old now but still great specs at a fraction of original price.

ZTE normally make very good phones - had a couple before, well built and not a bad camera

ZTE normally make very good phones - had a couple before, well built and not a bad camera

Yeah they didn't have a great rep. initially. This model was dubbed a flagship killer killer, as it kept some of its big brothers main features-Snapdragon 801, FHD, Gorilla Glass, 4k video, impressive cameras, oh and gyro for all important Pokemon hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Redmi note 3 snapdragon has arrived.

First hour or so quite happy, phone or dialler dont work so downloaded an app thru play store works fine.

Gets quite warm.

Need to install a globe rom on it. Bootlocker has it locked atm

• Advertisement

but1er wrote: »
    Redmi note 3 snapdragon has arrived.

First hour or so quite happy, phone or dialler dont work so downloaded an app thru play store works fine.

Gets quite warm.

Need to install a globe rom on it. Bootlocker has it locked atm

Strange that they don't work, hope you don't have a vendor rom.

Check settings - about phone - MIUI version. Plus post what it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement