Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Stil 50% can't very device

Tried about 6 different ways of bootlocking it and nothing sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Twas me broke my X800. Didn't have much faith in removing the screen myself so I returned it to the seller on AliExpress. I'd have a lot of experience replacing screens so I may have just been too lazy and am forgetting that now.

Hong Kong Goldway were the seller, huers have gone quiet on me now. It was outside the warranty because of OS **** but they agreed to the fix, $60 I believe.

Screens on eBay were about that anyways.

I had a huge dead spot on the middle of my screen which is the only reason I got it fixed at all, I don't give a crap about the look, have you similar?

I do mention them a lot here but they're a sound bunch, Electronic Partner in Galway fixed my Mi3 a few times, I'm sure if you asked about a X800 they might give it a whack. If you're badly stuck I can do some study and give it a whirl myself if you'd trust a man.

Thanks for the reply and offer. Based in Dublin myself and need my phone for work so can't really be without for too long. Seen some screens on Ali for about 50-60 quid then you'd have to factor the same in for fitting I'd imagine so can't really be bothered with that. Might give it a go myself even though I've never done it before, have you seen any guides for the x800? Phone still works fine so might just keep for another while then have a legitimate reason to upgrade. Mire pi$$ed off with the tempered glass just shattering, thought they were supposed to be shatter proof. Think my next phone will have to have an otter box for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply and offer. Based in Dublin myself and need my phone for work so can't really be without for too long. Seen some screens on Ali for about 50-60 quid then you'd have to factor the same in for fitting I'd imagine so can't really be bothered with that. Might give it a go myself even though I've never done it before, have you seen any guides for the x800? Phone still works fine so might just keep for another while then have a legitimate reason to upgrade. Mire pi$$ed off with the tempered glass just shattering, thought they were supposed to be shatter proof. Think my next phone will have to have an otter box for it.

Super simple repair actually, I definitely wasn't arsed attempting it because it looks like one of the simplest jobs I've seen. Zero screen, zero things to remove. A regular hair dryer will take the screen off no problem, the only hard part is is getting the adhesive flat onto the phone body. Make sure you buy a screen with adhesive, as it won't stick without it.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTMyNjY1MjY4OA==.html?from=y1.2-1-105.3.1-2.1-1-1-0-0&x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

but1er wrote: »

Auto-correct confuddling. Xwice. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

There's a giveaway for a Umi Touch on the Gearbest forum, we need 60 entries so hurry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

So because boards whore themselves out, we must too? No thanks (just my opinion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

It's a free phone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

It's a free phone :rolleyes:

Wonder would any of the former shills be in with a chance of winning ??

Will add an entry just to get to the 60 !!

Super simple repair actually, I definitely wasn't arsed attempting it because it looks like one of the simplest jobs I've seen. Zero screen, zero things to remove. A regular hair dryer will take the screen off no problem, the only hard part is is getting the adhesive flat onto the phone body. Make sure you buy a screen with adhesive, as it won't stick without it.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTMyNjY1MjY4OA==.html?from=y1.2-1-105.3.1-2.1-1-1-0-0&x

Looks dead simple thanks, might actually give this a bash . Can't find any seller's with both the screen and sticker plate so will have to order them separately unfortunately. Doubt that the screen will be aanywhere near the quality of the original though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Has anyone replaced a screen on an Elephone P9000? Brother dropped his yesterday and a corner of the screen broke off.
    Wondering how hard it would be to replace, have replaced screens on tablets before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Looks dead simple thanks, might actually give this a bash . Can't find any seller's with both the screen and sticker plate so will have to order them separately unfortunately. Doubt that the screen will be aanywhere near the quality of the original though.

I'm sure it's fine, I've replaced many a Mi3 screen with AliExpress parts and they're all top notch. Generally smaller phones don't actually end up with knock offs from what I've seen, even the Mi3 was huge and I got nothing but quality from aliexpress and eBay

I'm sure it's fine, I've replaced many a Mi3 screen with AliExpress parts and they're all top notch. Generally smaller phones don't actually end up with knock offs from what I've seen, even the Mi3 was huge and I got nothing but quality from aliexpress and eBay

Nice on, think i'll stick an order so. What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Looking at buying a new phone over the next few weeks when my contract is finally up so seeking some advice. Below are my requirements:

4G 800/1800
    32GB
    3GB RAM
    5.5 inch at most
    Decent camera
    Ideally less than €200

NFC would be useful but not essential

Options I've seen are Oukitel K6000, Vernee Apollo, Lenovo Vibe Shot. Anyone had any experience with any of these or am I better off spending the extra on a One Plus 2 or 3. Is it easy to upgrade the Android software on new releases?

Going to Hong Kong in a few weeks too so might hold out to buy one there

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Just got an email that the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 costs 135 dollar in China.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-unveiled-china-price-specs-features-712411/

That seems insanely cheap ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Just got an email that the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 costs 135 dollar in China.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-redmi-note-4-unveiled-china-price-specs-features-712411/

That seems insanely cheap ?

2GB/16GB mediatek will be that price. Probably best to wait until a Snapdragon version shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

frink wrote: »
    Looking at buying a new phone over the next few weeks when my contract is finally up so seeking some advice. Below are my requirements:

4G 800/1800
    32GB
    3GB RAM
    5.5 inch at most
    Decent camera
    Ideally less than €200

I am looking for something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Hi
    Anyone using the Mi Max.How are you finding the screen size in use?

Does it need 2 hands all the time?

• Advertisement

4G 800/1800
    32GB
    3GB RAM
    5.5 inch at most
    Decent camera
    Ideally less than €200

Options I've seen are Oukitel K6000, Vernee Apollo, Lenovo Vibe Shot. Anyone had any experience with any of these or am I better off spending the extra on a One Plus 2 or 3. Is it easy to upgrade the Android software on new releases?

Thanks in advance

Elephone P9000 ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

eamonnq wrote: »
    Elephone P9000 ? :D

Good recommendation! Have you got this one?

Just read this review which was positive
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/elephone-p9000-review-performance-camera-battery-life-page-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭gn3dr

4G 800/1800
    32GB
    3GB RAM
    5.5 inch at most
    Decent camera
    Ideally less than €200

Thanks in advance

Have a Oukitel k6000 pro for a few weeks now. Great phone. Comparable to my Ulefone Power but I think the Oukitel camera is a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

danko82 wrote: »
    Correct, it only has 1800... Depends on what network you're going to use it with I guess.

Got it from Chigon on Aliexpress , although reading some of the reviews would nearly put me off too!!! :D

Mine has been excellent though, battery life is great on it, camera is not the best though, ( I still think the TCL M2U was one of the better phones and the camera on that was very good too).
    Avoid Elephone at all costs tbh.
    Delighted with the P9000 that I have TBH.

Yep, but apparently I may be the lucky one!!

rickyjb wrote: »
    Correct, it only has 1800... Depends on what network you're going to use it with I guess.

I have three and still problems with redmi note 2..
    next phone i definetly want band 800...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

Thanks in advance

ulefone have a few to cheap out at half the price of your choices.

ZTE Axon Elite? Id recommend it, Hifi audio and NFC and dual rear camera.

Or UMI max. Im not sure about this one, They sometimes rush out their phones it seems , however they seem good with the OTA updates after bug reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

So I got my Ulefone metal yesterday. Free delivery on amazon in 2 days, well impressed with that.

These are first impressions some good, some bad.

Box came unsealed, but no sign of a previous seal, so I sent email to Ulefone asking whether they ship them sealed. It was (almost) fully charged and was already set up. This obviously set off all alarm bells with me and I was fairly annoyed, not sure how you can sell a phone as new when it is already set up. However, I let 3 antivirus programs loose on it and it was clean. Still I am wondering whether I should send it back, as I didn't get a new phone.

The other thing that greatly annoyed me was that I got a European charger, not that I don't have plenty of 3 pins ones but still, was sold to me by amazon.co.uk.

The phone itself looks very nice, resembles an iphone in build. The metal makes it a bit heavier than you'd expect these days, but I'd say they nailed the design and it will appeal to a lot of people.
    The cover that came with it was nice and fitted very well, but will replace it as I don't like these flip covers.

Marshmallow was installed on it, with a slight tweak- the settings menu is grouped , not sure why, but it is not annoying and the "browser" was installed , couldn't be uninstalled and is looking for permissions to capture video, record sounds , access to contacts- which I didn't grant... Why install something as useless ??
    There is a nice feature , a floating menu where you can easily switch to settings, make screenshots etc.. I like it.
    The biggest gripe with this flavour of marshmallow I have though is the capacitive buttons (that are unlit btw- and hard to see if not in bright light)- it takes you back years.. Left button is menu, middle is home and long press for recent apps, right button is back. Why ??

It does not have LED notification light.

Battery seems OK , haven't really used it a lot, so can't say much other than that I did a test on standby during the night, with both my Moto G and this Metal only on Wifi , both started last night with 44% , Moto G (2nd gen) was at 22%, Metal at 39% this morning. I think the battery will last you the day with normal use, but that will be about it. This is based on the fact it went from 97% to 44% in the day, messing about with it- but not constantly..

Fingerprint scanner works surprisingly well and I like it.
    Wifi - I compared it with Moto G, when you are relatively close to router the Metal receives a better signal, but if you are on the edge of coverage, the Moto G wins.
    Phone seems very quick , but as I said I haven't used it a lot, so the jury remains out on that as well.

I haven't yet used it as a phone , as I am still not sure whether to return it or not.

Camera seems decent enough for me. I have a real camera for when I want to take pictures, and as a phone camera I would recommend it. My eyes are not good enough to see the difference anyway on 5" screen... Colors look ok, detailed enough.

I'd say for £120 this is a good phone. It didn't blow me away and there are some things I don't like about it , but most of these are a matter of personal preference. The HW seems very good and works without issues.
    Like I said , I am thinking of sending it back, I am just now wondering if I would order the same one again , this time a "really new" one.
    I don't know, I guess it is back to drawing board and see if I can find a phone that does fulfill my personal preferences as well as being a good piece of kit.

Update- so I now found out that Marshmallow on this phone has been altered significantly. The multi-user mode is disabled, you can see the user icon on top of screen but you cannot add users. In my mind this is a significant enough alteration to return the phone. I use this to be able to hand my phone to my 7 yr old without getting nervous about her texting my boss or cluttering up my account with useless games..

Pity really, as I started to like the phone because of performance and was getting my head around the quirks I didn't like. Back to drawing board I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi all,

Looking for two phone recommendations:-

1. A 5.5" high performance phone to replace a Vodafone Ultra 6. Budget is max €200. (Can purchase a Vodafone Ultra 7 for €199 and unlock it for €3)

2. A 5" medium performance phone with good cameras front and back, max budget €150.

Appreciate your feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Hi all,

Looking for two phone recommendations:-

1. A 5.5" high performance phone to replace a Vodafone Ultra 6. Budget is max €200. (Can purchase a Vodafone Ultra 7 for €199 and unlock it for €3)

2. A 5" medium performance phone with good cameras front and back, max budget €150.

Appreciate your feedback.

1. leeco x800

2. mi4c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement