Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

RossieMan wrote: »
    its 24hours after its dispatched, like every eu retailer.

They have claimed twice it's dispatched, asked for a tracking number got a copy and pasted broken English reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

The rumoured Xiaomi Mi Note 2 will be something to keep an eye on. Should be out soon but probably won't be as cheap as Xiaomi phones usually are
    Cheers much appreciated will keep an eye out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Hey guys,

I just got a chinese phone yesterday (which supports band 3 and 20) and bought a three sim card and topped it up by 20 euro.

I can make calls/send texts fine and wifi/gps etc all works great but my mobile internet wont connect.

It might connect for a minute and ill get 4-5mbps and then it drops again.

I have a feeling its something to do with the settings.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Go to settings - sim cards - APN or network settings, is the APN correctly configured for three?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Thanks for your reply mate, here are my settings:

Date Roaming: Enabled
    Network type: 4G
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    APN Type: default,mms,supl,net
    Proxy: not set
    Port: not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    MMSC: http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: mms.3ireland.ie
    MMS Port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 05
    Authentication Type: None
    APN Protocol: IPv4
    APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
    Bearer: unspecified
    MVNO Type: None

Do any of these settings look incorrect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Looks similar to mine. Few differences but nothing that should stop it working. I assume you've roaming set to on? Can sometimes cause issues with the o2/three merger.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

Hey guys,

I just got a chinese phone yesterday (which supports band 3 and 20) and bought a three sim card and topped it up by 20 euro.

I can make calls/send texts fine and wifi/gps etc all works great but my mobile internet wont connect.

It might connect for a minute and ill get 4-5mbps and then it drops again.

I have a feeling its something to do with the settings.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys

I had the same issue and ended up having to move provider, Three were unable to tell me why it was happening.

What type of phone are you using? If it's a dual sim phone pick up a cheap Meteor sim card and use that sim slot for data to test if there's any change.

I was constantly losing data connections until I moved onto Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Xiaomi have released a version of the Redmi with dual cameras. What use is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

myshirt wrote: »
    Xiaomi have released a version of the Redmi with dual cameras. What use is this?

More phones are getting this.

All I can say is, my P9 has it and it's phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks for your reply mate, here are my settings:

Date Roaming: Enabled
    Network type: 4G
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    APN Type: default,mms,supl,net
    Proxy: not set
    Port: not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    MMSC: http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: mms.3ireland.ie
    MMS Port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 05
    Authentication Type: None
    APN Protocol: IPv4
    APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
    Bearer: unspecified
    MVNO Type: None

Do any of these settings look incorrect?

As above, try turning roaming on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    More phones are getting this.

All I can say is, my P9 has it and it's phenomenal.
    In what way? What benefit does a dual camera setup deliver?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Has anyone ordered the Redmi Note 4?

New to these Chinese phones and really like the look of the specs for the price.

Would only be using it for a work/2nd phone. More curious to see what the quality is like.

Is their any sites that review in English? Most seem to be in Chinese or Indian.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

In what way? What benefit does a dual camera setup deliver?
    Colour handled by one lens, monochrome in the other, merged in software. Sounds like a gimmick but every review especially the Huaweis makes it sound like the results are fairly spectacular. Ill have a dual lens setup on my next phone anyway.

When that will be I dont know because my Oneplus One just refuses to die or degrade in performance in any way, its completely bulletproof...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So, more correctly dual lens rather than dual camera?

Interesting concept - never heard of it before!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Never using Antelife again, they used my billing address instead of my parcel motel address, chances are the package will be missed now arghh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Esel wrote: »
    So, more correctly dual lens rather than dual camera?

Interesting concept - never heard of it before!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/6/11377202/huawei-p9-dual-camera-system-how-it-works

Nice explanation there, not sure I would be paying over 1k over 2 years for it though!! :D

Thargor wrote: »
    When that will be I dont know because my Oneplus One just refuses to die or degrade in performance in any way, its completely bulletproof...

Couldn't agree more. I did a clean install of Android 6.0 to my OnePlus One and I honestly couldn't be happier with its performance. It's really snappy and bulletproof. No freezes or hangs at all.

I can't see any reason whatsoever to upgrade it. Reckon it might be the first phone I keep for more than two years and I'm a fairly heavy user.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

eamonnq wrote: »
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/6/11377202/huawei-p9-dual-camera-system-how-it-works

Nice explanation there, not sure I would be paying over 1k over 2 years for it though!! :D

That's not really how it works though, is it ? (Because let's be fair, it's aimed at me and others who buy it with a subscription, right ? ;))

You don't pay the monthly fee for the phone alone. I get roaming all over Europe, Sky Sports Mobile,...

Also, it comes down to 960 for 2 years :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That's not really how it works though, is it ? (Because let's be fair, it's aimed at me and others who buy it with a subscription, right ? ;))

You don't pay the monthly fee for the phone alone. I get roaming all over Europe, Sky Sports Mobile,...

Also, it comes down to 960 for 2 years :P

+50 euro for the phone = 1010 ? :P

I know that is not really how it works, but I don't roam around Europe much and I don't need Sky Sports mobile. I am sure it suits some people but I would prefer a 200 euro phone and feel free to 'upgrade' whenever the fancy takes me, although I am not a 'heavy user' of calls/texts either so the PAYG option suits me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Looking for recommendations for my Dad who currently has a Samsung mini. He has run out of storage on it so phone has seriously degraded performance on it. It only has 4gb storage. He is looking for something similar that will run well on the three network. Can anyone suggest one that may suit him? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

GatsbyGal wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for my Dad who currently has a Samsung mini. He has run out of storage on it so phone has seriously degraded performance on it. It only has 4gb storage. He is looking for something similar that will run well on the three network. Can anyone suggest one that may suit him? Thanks.

Bluboo Maya?

Kilboor wrote: »
    Bluboo Maya?

It's a lot of phone for $80 - http://www.geekbuying.com/item/BLUBOO-Maya-2GB-16GB-Smartphone---White-368861.html

Will the 3G frequencies work on all networks here?

No 4G which for an entry level phone or phone for a kid should be fine.

It's a lot of phone for $80 - http://www.geekbuying.com/item/BLUBOO-Maya-2GB-16GB-Smartphone---White-368861.html

It indeed does work on 3G frequencies here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Could be a great Xmas present for my mother who isn't the most technical to say the least. She has some crappie Sony that is so slow. Are these any good or would they be more trouble then they're worth for me giving tech support

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Could be a great Xmas present for my mother who isn't the most technical to say the least. She has some crappie Sony that is so slow. Are these any good or would they be more trouble then they're worth for me giving tech support

Waiting on a Maya now for a friend. Bought the Bluboo Picasso for my father a few weeks ago. It was his first smartphone and he loves it! No issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

I got a bluboo picasso about 4mths ago,worked great at the start but then the touch screen was non responsive, seems to be an issue with that model according to there community page on the website, i ended up getting a refund and buying oukitel k4000

aaronm13 wrote: »

The only downside I can see if it's intended for a light user or a kid is that it doesn't have an expandable SD card which for kids can be very useful in terms of transferring and storing music and movies etc. Other than that it looks like great value for money.

The only downside I can see if it's intended for a light user or a kid is that it doesn't have an expandable SD card which for kids can be very useful in terms of transferring and storing music and movies etc. Other than that it looks like great value for money.

It does have an SD card as far as I can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Definitely , so who's going to be the Guinea pig and order it first. Must look up some reviews as I think it would be perfect for my mother.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement