Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭fixXxer

trixiebust wrote:
    I would like to connect my android phone, to my android / Windows 10 tablet. Is this possible ?

What is the tablet make and model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

fixxxer wrote: »
    What is the tablet make and model?

It's a Chinese tablet too, Teclast X98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

trixiebust wrote: »
    It's a Chinese tablet too, Teclast X98.

It supports OTG so with an adapter you can. Fortunately its full blown windows and not RT junk.

ED E wrote: »
    It supports OTG so with an adapter you can. Fortunately its full blown windows and not RT junk.

Thank you very much:) Will order an OTG cable. Got a basic Redmi 4x, and although MIUI is ok, I'd love to try something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

GBX wrote: »
    No the article says that the 2nd pic is believed to be fake, not so much the actual device.
    I'd imagine its in the pipeline and more info will follow.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Lenovos-ZUK-Mobile-sub-brand-is-being-killed-less-than-two-years-after-its-debut_id93477

Lenovo are retiring their ZUK line of phones, there wont be a ZUK 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

A bit of tracking weirdness for my Redmi Note 4 from Ali Express Eternal Team.

27th - Arrive at destination country. Item received. Customs clearance in progress.
    29th - Hand over to airline.

Seem a bit weird. Has anyone seen anything like that before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Got away with showing revenue an old banggood receipt, so custom charges aren't that bad.

Note 4 arrived. Should I flash this or leave as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

RasTa wrote: »

If it's the global version, I think it would be fine. Unless anybody knows of any better Rom.

peaceboi wrote: »
    If it's the global version, I think it would be fine. Unless anybody knows of any better Rom.

Just setting it up now, no Ireland or UK in the select region so I guess not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭corkie

Just setting it up now, no Ireland or UK in the global version so I guess not

As long it doesn't have a vendor rom, you should be fine.

No Ireland/UK locale in MIUI roms, so that doesn't say it is not global rom.

Post your MIUI version(with letters) from the "About phone" in settings!

It took about 5 mins to boot up too.

MIUI Global 8.2 Stable
    8.2.1.0(MBFMIDL)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭fixXxer

MIUI Global 8.2 Stable
    8.2.1.0(MBFMIDL)

There should be an update available when you connect to wifi but otherwise that looks fine.

MIUI Global 8.2 Stable
    8.2.1.0(MBFMIDL)

That MIUI version (official) is for the MediaTek device, was there a reason, other than price, that you got that over a snapdragon version?

corkie wrote: »
    That MIUI version (official) is for the MediaTek device, was there a reason, other than price, that you got that over a snapdragon version?

No, I just seen someone link it in here and liked the price. What's the deal with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

No, I just seen someone link it in here and liked the price. What's the deal with it?

Snapdragon is a better processor and has better GPS but if you're using it for general use then you don't have to worry.

Most people avoid MediaTek devices as there is usually limited custom rom support for them devices. But if your not looking at custom roms, it does not matter.

Depending on the device, you got it may not support all the LTE Bands here (Band 20) for example. Result you probably won't get 4G outside cities!

MediaTek VS Snapdragon Processor Full Comparison .

Also try other google searches about MediaTek phones.

Ah none of that bothers me, I don't even have data as don't like being bothered too much bar phone calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭DopeTech

My redmi 4x has got sent to customs. :( Roughly how long will it take to get delivered? How much should I expect to pay? Phone cost €116 from China.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    My redmi 4x has got sent to customs. :( Roughly how long will it take to get delivered? How much should I expect to pay? Phone cost €116 from China.

If 116 inc. shipping:
    26.68 + 10.00.

Email your invoice to dmc@revenue.ie with subject line being tracking number to expedite clearance.

• Advertisement

If 116 inc. shipping:
    26.68 + 10.00.

Email your invoice to dmc@revenue.ie with subject line being tracking number to expedite clearance.

€115.68 for phone
    €0.88 for shipping

Where are you working out the fee from?

I paid €29 but €10 was the An Post admin fee.

Phone valued at €84

€115.68 for phone
    €0.88 for shipping

Where are you working out the fee from?

23% + standard handling fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

For the first time in my life I've smashed the screen in my phone. A 3 week old Redmi note 4x. Any ideas price wise what it would cost to fix and where would be best place? It's doing my head in and it only happened half hour ago, I know I won't be able to keep using as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

For the first time in my life I've smashed the screen in my phone. A 3 week old Redmi note 4x. Any ideas price wise what it would cost to fix and where would be best place? It's doing my head in and it only happened half hour ago, I know I won't be able to keep using as it is.

i spoke to a couple of guys in dublin city center, who advs me if i buy the parts they will fit it for €35

but1er wrote: »
    i spoke to a couple of guys in dublin city center, who advs me if i buy the parts they will fit it for €35

Wheres that? I have a Umi Super sitting there with a broken screen could be worth fixing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Fit a tempered glass screen protector if and when you get it fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

but1er wrote: »

Sounds like good price. Whereabouts is it?

Older model fones

Will they have been in stock a long time and the battery affected?

Is it best to go for up to date models in this regard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

It's ok but it's a dated mtk chip

Unless you needed the bigger battery the newer xiaomi 625s would be better at same price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 CaptainKern

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x. I really recommend it, especially for battery life. The only thing is I don't know would 4G work because apparently only the Redmi Note 4 Global Edition has the bands needed. The 4x is missing band 20 as far as I know, so it's probably best make sure you're getting the right one if you're buying this phone. I don't have a 4G plan so I can't test it. Before buying I had read that the 4x is the international model Anyone know any more about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

I'm thinking of buying a cubot cheetah 2.
    Would I have any problems with coverage, I'm not bothered with 4g as I mainly use wifi. As long as I can get 3g and good wi-fi I'm happy. Also would I get caught with customs, Thanks. Here's the link.
    https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/cubot-cheetah-2-blue-5.5-32gb-4g-dual-sim-unlocked-and-sim-free-cub-che2-blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x. I really recommend it, especially for battery life. The only thing is I don't know would 4G work because apparently only the Redmi Note 4 Global Edition has the bands needed. The 4x is missing band 20 as far as I know, so it's probably best make sure you're getting the right one if you're buying this phone. I don't have a 4G plan so I can't test it. Before buying I had read that the 4x is the international model Anyone know any more about this?

Extremely confusing the way all those are. I know there is something there with the 4x that it cant take 4g but some websites quote them both as international versions. I got the standard 4

Extremely confusing the way all those are. I know there is something there with the 4x that it cant take 4g but some websites quote them both as international versions. I got the standard 4

Are you serious? I thought the 4x pro global edition could pick up 4g here. Can anyone who has it confirm?

• Advertisement

Are you serious? I thought the 4x pro global edition could pick up 4g here. Can anyone who has it confirm?

The Redmi Note 4 SD Global Version (no X) has the extra bands (20 for LTE)!
    It is the exact same device as the 4X but includes extra bands

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/redminote4x

Devices can get 4g without the band 20 but limited to city locations.

corkie wrote: »
    The Redmi Note 4 SD Global Version (no X) has the extra bands (20 for LTE)!
    It is the exact same device as the 4X but includes extra bands

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/specs/redminote4x

What about this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-4X-4-X-PRO-Smartphone-3GB-32GB-5-0-HD-Screen-Snapdragon/32802053308.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.NjsJQy

It say's it has :

2G: GSM B2/ B3/ B5/ B8
    3G:WCDMA B1/ B2/ B5/ B8
    4G: FDD-LTE B1/ B3/ B4/ B5/ B7/ B8/ B20/ B38/ B40

Sir Dosser wrote:
    2G: GSM B2/ B3/ B5/ B8 3G:WCDMA B1/ B2/ B5/ B8 4G: FDD-LTE B1/ B3/ B4/ B5/ B7/ B8/ B20/ B38/ B40

Yes that one is ok I think

hadepsx wrote: »
    Would I have any problems with coverage, I'm not bothered with 4g as I mainly use wifi. As long as I can get 3g and good wi-fi I'm happy. Also would I get caught with customs, Thanks. Here's the link.
    https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/cubot-cheetah-2-blue-5.5-32gb-4g-dual-sim-unlocked-and-sim-free-cub-che2-blue

No bands in that link.

Standards
    802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11n 5GHz

No AC in late 2017? Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Standards

No AC in late 2017? Meh.

I strive to someday understand the things you're nitpicky about

What about this one? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-4X-4-X-PRO-Smartphone-3GB-32GB-5-0-HD-Screen-Snapdragon/32802053308.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.NjsJQy

It say's it has :

2G: GSM B2/ B3/ B5/ B8
    3G:WCDMA B1/ B2/ B5/ B8
    4G: FDD-LTE B1/ B3/ B4/ B5/ B7/ B8/ B20/ B38/ B40

Different device. The Redmi 4X has the extra bands compared to Redmi 4. Which is the opposite to the note 4!

Are the Redmi 4 5.5" phones all the same dimensions for covers and screen protectors?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371991560549

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-Premium-Protection-for-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-/221053541350?hash=item3377d15be6:g:AKYAAOSwdGFYt~VO

there seems to be 2 different styles of screen protectors for the redmi 4

haven't came across this before ,which is the best type

corkie wrote:

Went for one without band 20. Basic, cheapest model. Not sure if it's just
    me, yesterday got 4g in rural Tipp & today on Youghal beach.

You'd be surprised where you can get 4g now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Standards

No AC in late 2017? Meh.

Soooo is that a big thumbs down?

trixiebust wrote:
    Went for one without band 20. Basic, cheapest model. Not sure if it's just me, yesterday got 4g in rural Tipp & today on Youghal beach.

What network are you on can I ask?

Soooo is that a big thumbs down?

Well, you asked for "Good Wifi" so depends on what your interpretation of good is.

Its been standard since GS4 (Released 2013, April).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement