Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

MrDiyFan wrote: »
    anyone ordered from hk goldway EU express?

it seems to be Singapore post but tracking doesn't work

EU express tends to be DHL or other similar type courier (UPS/TNT) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

It says tracking not available with 'sellers shipping method' on the website

I presume i still have to sign for it so there will be a record of delivery or otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I did, tracking with DHL worked fine. Message the seller explaining your tracking doesn't work

I did, tracking with DHL worked fine. Message the seller explaining your tracking doesn't work

i just did .there's no mention of DHL on my emails but it's definitely 'sellers shipping method'?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Snow Crash

I ordered a LeEco Le Max 2 from Hongkong Goldway on Aliexpress and the tracking seems to be working(so far). I thought I ordered basic free delivery to help avoid getting hit with customs charges but it seems to be arriving faster than I thought it would so maybe they sent it by courier method.

Ireland
    Destination Country
    2016-09-08
    17:15:00
    【IEDUB】Transit to Air Transit Centre

2016-09-08
    11:22:24
    【SINGAPORE】Arrive at Airport

2016-09-07
    15:05:00
    【HONGKONG】Hand over to airline

2016-09-06
    17:15:00
    Received from Customer

2016-09-06
    07:28:00
    Notification of shipment confirmation

China
    Original Country
    2016-09-06
    00:03:01
    Successful departure from Warehouse

2016-09-05
    23:33:01
    Warehouse processing complete

2016-09-05
    23:10:28
    Successful package picked up by Warehouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

I thought the only shipping method from them guaranteed to not be charged duty was the "EU Express" one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Redmi Note 3 Pro --- Marshmallow now available.

Just in case nobody is reading the Redmi Note 3 thread.

Marshmallow is now available for the Redmi Note 3 Pro

See here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Because some of us can read road signs :/ I Dont buy a phone for GPS or a camera they are just bonuses to me, I use my phone as a daily phone/text/browser/mp3 etc
    RossieMan wrote: »
    You're buying a phone for a much reduced price. If you want near perfection, go off and spend 800 on a Samsung s7.

You'll have to compromise on something with nearly all Chinese phones.

So what you guys are saying is, poor quality is okay and it doesn't matter if only some of the advertised features work because it's cheap? Mad, utterly mad! :)

In reality, it seems then that cheap Chinese phones aren't the wonderphones that we're led to believe and that the old adage of 'if it looks too good to be true, it probably is', stands?

That's a pity :( I may end up just upgrading toe the 4th Gen Moto G. Or I could just buy a cheap Chinese phone, new TomTom Satnav and a new digital camera and walk around with those in my pocket :p

Loads of people reporting problems with Umi Super GPS here, some also claiming poor 4G performance. For anyone who likes the products thy buy to perform as advertised, it might be worth waiting to see if Umi fix those issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So what you guys are saying is, poor quality is okay and it doesn't matter if only some of the advertised features work because it's cheap? Mad, utterly mad! :)

In reality, it seems then that cheap Chinese phones aren't the wonderphones that we're led to believe and that the old adage of 'if it looks too good to be true, it probably is', stands?

That's a pity :( I may end up just upgrading toe the 4th Gen Moto G. Or I could just buy a cheap Chinese phone, new TomTom Satnav and a new digital camera and walk around with those in my pocket :p

Loads of people reporting problems with Umi Super GPS here, some also claiming poor 4G performance. For anyone who likes the products thy buy to perform as advertised, it might be worth waiting to see if Umi fix those issues.

You still seem to be glossing over the fact that the big brands are also full of shoddy tech but for much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

corkie wrote: »
    Redmi Note 3 Pro --- Marshmallow now available.

Just in case nobody is reading the Redmi Note 3 thread.

Marshmallow is now available for the Redmi Note 3 Pro

See here.
    Tempted by this phone, anyone have it? What are the drawbacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭mightyreds

naughtb4 wrote: »

I dunno if its just my one but mobile data is very bad, i've a s4 now as i couldnt use data on it outside big citys, pages like boards basically not loading at all, when on the s4 i can get 4g in the exact same spot

naughtb4 wrote: »

I have it now 2 months and happy with it.

Only Drawbacks:-

Poor camera in weak light conditions.
    Only use's one of the two 4G bands available on Irish networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

corkie wrote: »
    I have it now 2 months and happy with it.

Only Drawbacks:-

Poor camera in weak light conditions.
    Only use's one of the two 4G bands available on Irish networks.

Have that at the moment with the OPO, seems like an issue with most Chinese phones

How's the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You still seem to be glossing over the fact that the big brands are also full of shoddy tech but for much more.
    No, not at all and I don't mean to. Yes, big brands definitely have problems and when I'm aware of those, I don't buy those either :):):)

I guess I've been lucky with my Moto G (1st Gen). It was a great phone for the money back in the day, camera wasn't the best quality but it worked as advertised. I don't want to come across as a d*ck or anything but my beef is with companies (any company) producing shoddy goods. I just feel from what I've read that the Chinese manufacturers seem to be more prone to this and less likely to give a crap when people highlight the issues. I don't want up to spend up to €250 of my hard earned money on tech that may not work and reading a lot of the feedback on various phones has me worried.

That said, I might take a punt on the Elephone P9000 and hope that I get one with a working Sim tray... (fingers crossed). At least the Amazon return facility is simple and clean. If that fails, I'll go for the Moto G4...

r3nu4l wrote: »
    No, not at all and I don't mean to. Yes, big brands definitely have problems and when I'm aware of those, I don't buy those either :):):)

I guess I've been lucky with my Moto G (1st Gen). It was a great phone for the money back in the day, camera wasn't the best quality but it worked as advertised. I don't want to come across as a d*ck or anything but my beef is with companies (any company) producing shoddy goods. I just feel from what I've read that the Chinese manufacturers seem to be more prone to this and less likely to give a crap when people highlight the issues. I don't want up to spend up to €250 of my hard earned money on tech that may not work and reading a lot of the feedback on various phones has me worried.

That said, I might take a punt on the Elephone P9000 and hope that I get one with a working Sim tray... (fingers crossed). At least the Amazon return facility is simple and clean. If that fails, I'll go for the Moto G4...

God no avoid Elephone! I agree some brands from China are shocking but Ive never had problems(that I didnt cause myself :pac:) with the like of Jiayu, Oukitel, Bluboo and Lenovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

Lads,

Looking at updating the phone is the next while. Bought a Neo N003 based on this forum 3 years ago and a great machine. Only issue i ever had was GPS wasnt great and camera was the best in dark light situation.

Anyway im thinking about Huawei P9 / HTC 10.

Moderate user but just like to have a decent phone for apps, some games, music, decent camera in low light, surfing etc.

Anything else worth looking at???
    Budget 500ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 is available from amazon UK.. They are sold by third party sellers. Since my gf returned her disaster Moto G4 she has been using a piece of sh!t get her by phone. Now I am thinking I may buy her this... Anyone thoughts buying from sellers on Amazon instead of gearbest? £160 for 2gb ram model and £209 for the 3gb ram model. They are of the snapdragon 650 variant which is pretty beastly looking at reviews.

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 is available from amazon UK.. They are sold by third party sellers. Since my gf returned her disaster Moto G4 she has been using a piece of sh!t get her by phone. Now I am thinking I may buy her this... Anyone thoughts buying from sellers on Amazon instead of gearbest? £160 for 2gb ram model and £209 for the 3gb ram model. They are of the snapdragon 650 variant which is pretty beastly looking at reviews.

If you could trust the third party sellers, also stay away from gearbest, you will probably end up with vendor rom.

You can get it for good value from aliexpress sellers "Top One" or "Goldway".

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Hi folks, regular browser in this thread and in need of a bit of help. I've had an S4 for more than 3 years and due to a hardware problem with the sim it's become almost unusable. Love the look of Chinese handsets but not confident enough to actually buy one. Half afraid I'll end with a handset which isn't compatible with Irish carriers. With meteor at the moment and would like something with a similar or better spec than the s4. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PJOH

I have the Cubot X15 for the last 2 months. Bought from aliexpress and shipped from UK. Arrived in 2 days , 2gb ram, 16gb storage, great camera. Love the phone. Phone and shipment $135.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Smashed the screen on my P9000 about 20 minutes ago. Dead as a dodo now. Anybody any suggestions on a good replacement? Id rather not spend €200 on another phone, so something less, with similar specs, id be happy! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

antodeco wrote: »
    Smashed the screen on my P9000 , so something less, with similar specs, id be happy! Thanks

No you won't. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Elephone sell their own screens. If it's dead might be no harm giving it a whirl, or letting someone else try for you, there's tutorials on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,471 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

God no avoid Elephone! I agree some brands from China are shocking but Ive never had problems(that I didnt cause myself :pac:) with the like of Jiayu, Oukitel, Bluboo and Lenovo.

I have an elephone p6000 and it worked fine for a year (apart from terrible GPS) until It got dropped into some water and now 3 months later the parts are failing one after another (not elephone's fault)

I had an Oukitel U8 tap and the battery stopped charging after only a few weeks requiring a new battery which then went on to develop dangerous looking bulges so I just cut my losses.

I'm now using an old Iocean x8 mini which works perfectly except that the screen is cracked so it's hard to read, but it'll do for now until I figure out what to get next.

they gave me a new address for tracking and it works this time with the original number
    http://intl.sf-express.com/?a=trackEn

it seems to have arrived in the UK after about 6 working days .no mention of DHL though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Elephone sell their own screens. If it's dead might be no harm giving it a whirl, or letting someone else try for you, there's tutorials on YouTube

€90 for a screen before postage is a bit steep, another €30 it you don't fancy doing it yourself, my p9000 cost €190 all in from banggood.
    My screen broke a few weeks ago but I couldn't justify spending that on getting it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Has anybody tried some of the waterproof/toughened chinese android Phones out there ?

I saw some interesting models from

Homtom
    Blackview
    Kenxinda
    Vphone

Homtom have a new model coming out with a fairly decent looking spec. Drop proofing is the main goal really.

antodeco wrote: »
    Smashed the screen on my P9000 about 20 minutes ago. Dead as a dodo now. Anybody any suggestions on a good replacement? Id rather not spend €200 on another phone, so something less, with similar specs, id be happy! Thanks

Wasnt really planning on selling it but you can have my Oukitel k6000 pro for 80 if you want, comes with a fast charger and docking station, needs the fast charger to charge the massive battery in time :pac: I charge it over night and get 2 days usage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

PM Sent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'll take it if no one else does!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement