Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Aliexpress has much more protection. The sellers care for their ratings so they'll do anything for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

eamonnq wrote: »
    I hope you get your free keyring!! :D

Obviously I'm joking :D I wouldn't spend more than 50 with GB. I love Aliexpress for cheap items, have to say my opinion on them has changed after a bad experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

Hi,

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro from Gizchina. It shipped with MIUI 7.3 but states it's up-to-date when I try to upgrade it to MIUI 8. My girlfriend has the same phone but is allowing her to upgrade.

I've applied through the MIUI forums to unlock the device but 6 weeks later and no response on the unlock code.

Any suggestions (apart from stealing her phone!) on how to upgrade

Thanks
    Glen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

Hi,

I bought a Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro from Gizchina. It shipped with MIUI 7.3 but states it's up-to-date when I try to upgrade it to MIUI 8. My girlfriend has the same phone but is allowing her to upgrade.

I've applied through the MIUI forums to unlock the device but 6 weeks later and no response on the unlock code.

Any suggestions (apart from stealing her phone!) on how to upgrade

Thanks
    Glen

What is you MIUI version?
    Quote what you find here: - settings - about phone - MIUI version.

If you can not update, you probably have a vendor rom.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/roms/vendor

About your unlock permissions check this thread: -
    http://en.miui.com/thread-202290-1-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm about to buy the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 from Aliexpress...... The 3gb ram model with 64gb storage from seller "Top one"... It says in the description that the seller is guaranteeing I wont get stung by customs if I use the DHL option? How can the seller be sure of this?
    Anything else I should be aware off? I am going to use a pre paid mastercard to pay for it also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I'm about to buy the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 from Aliexpress...... The 3gb ram model with 64gb storage from seller "Top one"... It says in the description that the seller is guaranteeing I wont get stung by customs if I use the DHL option? How can the seller be sure of this?
    Anything else I should be aware off? I am going to use a pre paid mastercard to pay for it also.

The seller ships it to Europe and then onto you, you will not be charged any VAT as it will be coming from Europe to you.

eamonnq wrote: »
    The seller ships it to Europe and then onto you, you will not be charged any VAT as it will be coming from Europe to you.

Thanks..

Seller is offering it in a sealed and unsealed box? I am choosing the sealed box so I can guarantee myself no vendor rom. I'd be right to choose this option?
    I want to install the playstore and google apk's myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Thanks..

Seller is offering it in a sealed and unsealed box? I am choosing the sealed box so I can guarantee myself no vendor rom. I'd be right to choose this option?

Correct. Very easy process to get it up and running yourself.

Thanks..

Top One are a reliable seller and they don't put vendor roms on the devices!

Allowing them to do quality control and open the box is advisable to reduce the chance of getting a faulty device.

corkie wrote: »
    Top One are a reliable seller and they don't put vendor roms on the devices!

Allowing them to do quality control and open the box is advisable to reduce the chance of getting a faulty device.

Just reading the description there again in abit more detail. It says if I receive an open box quality controlled item, they will flash the muti language ROM and install google playstore... That's exactly what I don't want them to do. If it was just a quick turn on to test it then fine but what they are saying about their quality control procedure translates to me vendor ROM.

Quoted from their description..

"Please leave us message if you want a sealed box.Otherwise we will unseal the box to do "Quality Control",flash the Multi-language ROM and install Google play! The original box from Xiaomi,Meizu,Huawei(Honor),Lenovo(ZUK),ZTE(Nubia),Oneplus,OPPO,Letv are sealed.They are only with English and without google play"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭megaten

What's the best of the chinese phones in the 70~ euro mark? Need a new phone but don't want to spend too much at the moment.

Just reading the description there again in abit more detail. It says if I receive an open box quality controlled item, they will flash the muti language ROM and install google playstore... That's exactly what I don't want them to do. If it was just a quick turn on to test it then fine but what they are saying about their quality control procedure translates to me vendor ROM.

Quoted from their description..

"Please leave us message if you want a sealed box.Otherwise we will unseal the box to do "Quality Control",flash the Multi-language ROM and install Google play! The original box from Xiaomi,Meizu,Huawei(Honor),Lenovo(ZUK),ZTE(Nubia),Oneplus,OPPO,Letv are sealed.They are only with English and without google play"

I got my RN3 pro from them and let them do QC!

They installed the global rom and play, but still was official rom.

Have seen some horror stories of people getting faulty devices, when QC was not done.

Example : - https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/4t6qlv/topone_on_ali_express_experience_unusual/

If on the odd chance you do get a vendor rom, it is easily removed by flashing the device in EDL mode.

Note:- RN4 is a mediatek device and EDL mode doesn't work on it.

I updated my device to a developer rom, to unlock, and then flashed a custom rom.

Edit: You could ask them to do QC but not flash anything on the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenagoolie

What is you MIUI version?
    Quote what you find here: - settings - about phone - MIUI version.

If you can not update, you probably have a vendor rom.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/roms/vendor

About your unlock permissions check this thread: -
    http://en.miui.com/thread-202290-1-1.html

Thanks for the ideas, turns out it's not actually locked! I assumed it was and have spent weeks looking to uplock it. Ran a ADB Fastboot after I posted and turns out it's not locked

Thanks for the ideas, turns out it's not actually locked! I assumed it was and have spent weeks looking to uplock it. Ran a ADB Fastboot after I posted and turns out it's not locked

If it came unlocked, you more than likely have a vendor rom as well.

Also it was probably unlocked unofficially, take care when flashing roms in that case.

fastboot oem device-info

Above command reports the lock status!

You should be aware that this is a MediaTek device and custom rom support will be limited, if any.

Xiaomi will probably release a snapdragon version, early next year like they did with the RN3.

I assume this is the link your referring to?

Plus EDL mode is only for snapdragon version so ignore my comments about that earlier.

You should be aware that this is a MediaTek device and custom rom support will be limited, if any.

Xiaomi will probably release a snapdragon version, early next year like they did with the RN3.

I assume this is the link your referring to?

Plus EDL mode is only for snapdragon version so ignore my comments about that earlier.

yep that's the one.. I read online somewhere earlier that Xiaomi wont be releasing a snapdragon variant of this phone. Ye the rom support may be an issue.

Just bought the Redmi Note 4 there now.. It's for my gf and I gave her the final choice to get it sealed inbox and we will install the Google APK's ourselves or get it QC checked before shipping, she preferred a sealed box and so do I to be honest. Hopefully it's works out. First time importing a phone but if it turns out to be a dogs breakfast then it didn't cost the earth or anything. I think it's worth the hassle. Effing Moto G4 she had before was a joke so anything will be better then that overheating pig of a yoke.

Be prepared to pay customs on top of what you paid if you didn't pick an EU shipping option.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Be prepared to pay customs on top of what you paid if you didn't pick an EU shipping option.

I picked the EU option so should be good.

Just out of interest, What are Xiaomi like for system updates? I read they push updates more often then other China phones... I'm sure there are many here with experience with this brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Just out of interest, What are Xiaomi like for system updates? I read they push updates more often then other China phones... I'm sure there are many here with experience with this brand?

Xiaomi's products all run on its own in house developed Rom 'MIUI' which is constantly being updated. Most people here report very favorable experience with it and the updates are constantly improving its usability

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Just make sure to buy one of their better specced flagship models and you'll have no problems. They release so many different variants of the same device, they haven't time to fix bugs and offer support for most of them.

When my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 arrives, which would be the best network to use it in? These are the 4G bands it's supporting according to gsmarena. Currently on meteor at the minute. I don't mind switching networks if meteor are using different bands to what this phone supports.

LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500

When my Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 arrives, which would be the best network to use it in? These are the 4G bands it's supporting according to gsmarena. Currently on meteor at the minute. I don't mind switching networks if meteor are using different bands to what this phone supports.

LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500

http://willmyphonework.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No band 20 like the majority of eastern handsets.

4G will work, but only with hugely reduced coverage. Especially rurally where 800Mhz is prevalent. Only buy it if you're very happy with 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

Xiaomi's products all run on its own in house developed Rom 'MIUI' which is constantly being updated. Most people here report very favorable experience with it and the updates are constantly improving its usability

I've had my Xiaomi redmi note 3 since Christmas and there hasn't been any update for my phone. Am I looking in the wrong place on my phone for the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

I've had my Xiaomi redmi note 3 since Christmas and there hasn't been any update for my phone. Am I looking in the wrong place on my phone for the update?

You'll be on some crappy ROM.
    You need to be on the official miui ROM to get the updates.

ED E wrote: »
    No band 20 like the majority of eastern handsets.

4G will work, but only with hugely reduced coverage. Especially rurally where 800Mhz is prevalent. Only buy it if you're very happy with 3G.

I've already bought the Redmi Note 4 the other day and I did realise with Chinese handsets 4G may be an issue. Price v spec of the phone I can live with it on 3G H+.... Outside the house I don't need heavy connectivity. Generally never had any issues watching YouTube videos and on the go Skype video calls over 3G/H+ so it's ok If I only get spurious 4G now and again...

Since meteor run on band 3 as well as band 20 for their 4G. I can expect I would still get 4G alot in Dublin city right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've already bought the Redmi Note 4 the other day and I did realise with Chinese handsets 4G may be an issue. Price v spec of the phone I can live with it on 3G H+.... Outside the house I don't need heavy connectivity. Generally never had any issues watching YouTube videos and on the go Skype video calls over 3G/H+ so it's ok If I only get spurious 4G now and again...

Since meteor run on band 3 as well as band 20 for their 4G. I can expect I would still get 4G alot in Dublin city right?

Depends on how much 900Mhz, if any, Meteor use. With three you'd be very patchy even in Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement