Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Redmi Note 3 Pro just arrived. Ordered from Top One 9 days ago. No customs charges and loaded with MIUI 8 Global ROM. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Redmi Note 3 Pro just arrived. Ordered from Top One 9 days ago. No customs charges and loaded with MIUI 8 Global ROM. :)

I just ordered a Mi Max 64gb from Top One, I requested a sealed box so I assume it will be supplied with the global rom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Cocoon wrote: »
    I just ordered a Mi Max 64gb from Top One, I requested a sealed box so I assume it will be supplied with the global rom?

I'm not 100% but I think they open the box to flash Global ROM and perform a quick quality check. So you will probably have to flash it yourself. Open to correction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I've been flip flopping around, about whether to buy Chinese or not and have decided to take the plunge. All I need to do is pick a bloomin phone.
    I've narrowed it down to three Xiaomi models.
    The Rednote 3 Pro, Remote 4 Pro and the Mi M5.
    The first two are well within budget, but I might stretch to the MiM5 if it was worth spending the extra.
    I'm on Vodafone, so think I should be OK as regards bandwidths used. I would use the camera, but wouldn't rely onu phone for photos.
    My major issue is with GPS. Use it a fair bit and heard all Chinese phones are very hit and miss with it.
    I'd really appreciate any users feedback on any of the phones.
    Also, and not really unimportant, but has anyone used one of these with a VR headset.( Came by one, but never used it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Cocoon wrote: »

I did consider this model before I bought my Redmi Note 4...... At 6.4" that's a monster and I chickened out and went with the 5.5" note 4 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Buyer Beware!

Their is an aliexpress store having a sale of some xiaomi phones today!

Including the RN3 Pro Special Edition (Kate)

I won't link the store because it is not a reliable store and incorrectly label as xiaomi authorized store. Very few reviews for there products.

Any one recommend a phone with a smaller screen?
    4 inch or so.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

corkie wrote: »
    Buyer Beware!

Their is an aliexpress store having a sale of some xiaomi phones today!

Including the RN3 Pro Special Edition (Kate)

I won't link the store because it is not a reliable store and incorrectly label as xiaomi authorized store. Very few reviews for there products.

You should link it to warn others.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

Checking back in for the first time in ages.
    Got my redmi note 3 9 months ago, still on muiu8 platform and iv yet to have one single issue.
    No reboots, no random shut downs. Constant updates.
    Only app that has caused me any hassle is Snapchat, but that's a pain on most phones.

I haven't kept ab eye on the Chinese market as I'm more then happy with the note 3.
    But a friend needs a new phone, so just wondering, have I missed anything that can possibly rival the note 3?
    Can be got delivered for 197€ with gizchina.
    Zuk2 is a bit pricier.

The mi5 worth the money?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

I've been flip flopping around, about whether to buy Chinese or not and have decided to take the plunge. All I need to do is pick a bloomin phone.
    I've narrowed it down to three Xiaomi models.
    The Rednote 3 Pro, Remote 4 Pro and the Mi M5.
    The first two are well within budget, but I might stretch to the MiM5 if it was worth spending the extra.
    I'm on Vodafone, so think I should be OK as regards bandwidths used. I would use the camera, but wouldn't rely onu phone for photos.
    My major issue is with GPS. Use it a fair bit and heard all Chinese phones are very hit and miss with it.
    I'd really appreciate any users feedback on any of the phones.
    Also, and not really unimportant, but has anyone used one of these with a VR headset.( Came by one, but never used it)

I use my gps alot on my note3.
    Iv yet to see anything to suggest it's poorer then my old lg g3.
    Only thing is it definitely doesn't seem to pick up 4g as good as previous phones. So the maps is that bit much slower to get goung when in poor signal.
    But that could largely be due to I'm with 3 who at the moment are poor no matter what phone I use. But getting better.
    Slight issue with Not receiving calls every now and then but doesn't bother me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Hey guys I'd really appreciate if someone could help me decide on a new phone.
    I have been using the Sony Xperia Z3C for the last 2 years, would be happy with an upgrade as that phone caused me nothing but trouble (according to vodafone due to manufacture not my own fault as i took really good care of it, but voda didnt want to honour their warranty so couldnt get it fixed and now its completely dead)

Anyway not sure if an upgrade is possible with my budget, just need something that works well with games, pretty fast as I do some important stuff with it (emails, edit documents sometimes etc) and and has good camera as well as great battery life if possible, Id also love for it to last me at least 1 year...

Looking at the UMI super and Xiaomi mi5, personally I prefer the design of the UMI super but only have basic understanding of specs so Idk if I'd be losing out a lot (also see UMI seem to have a bad rep?).

Anyway if any of you have a better understanding of this please let me know which you think would meet my needs better or if you would recommend any other phone I'd be happy to take a look too!

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

cinnamony wrote:
    Hey guys I'd really appreciate if someone could help me decide on a new phone. I have been using the Sony Xperia Z3C for the last 2 years, would be happy with an upgrade as that phone caused me nothing but trouble (according to vodafone due to manufacture not my own fault as i took really good care of it, but voda didnt want to honour their warranty so couldnt get it fixed and now its completely dead)

cinnamony wrote:
    Anyway not sure if an upgrade is possible with my budget, just need something that works well with games, pretty fast as I do some important stuff with it (emails, edit documents sometimes etc) and and has good camera as well as great battery life if possible, Id also love for it to last me at least 1 year...

cinnamony wrote:
    Anyway if any of you have a better understanding of this please let me know which you think would meet my needs better or if you would recommend any other phone I'd be happy to take a look too!

If you don't know much about the spec of your old phone and the two you have looked at, your best bet is to go on kimovil.com and compare what you have now to what you are looking at to see if you are getting an upgrade in spec or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Oops sorry I meant I know what the specs are as those are easy to find, but have no idea what they mean ahahaha :/

Edit: been having a go at kimovil and the xiaomi mi5 is not only an upgrade compared to the Z3C its also better than all the other phones I was considering (with the exception of OnePlus 3), so I'm going with that one and hope I made the right choice, thanks @howdoyouknow for the website, was very useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Hi,
    Have the Redmi note 3 pro for the last two months, but the battery life seems to have been reduced,
    looking at the performance screen when I got the phone would tell me I had over 2 days on a full charge,
    now it says 15 hours!

I only use the supplied charger, I try and cut background processes etc. but still not getting over 15 hrs,

I updated to MIUI 8 a few weeks back, would this have something to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hi,
    Have the Redmi note 3 pro for the last two months, but the battery life seems to have been reduced,
    looking at the performance screen when I got the phone would tell me I had over 2 days on a full charge,
    now it says 15 hours!

I only use the supplied charger, I try and cut background processes etc. but still not getting over 15 hrs,

I updated to MIUI 8 a few weeks back, would this have something to do with it?

Can you delete the stats, let it run down to zero and charge it up fully again and see if the stats reset to get you 2 days back.

GBX wrote: »
    Can you delete the stats, let it run down to zero and charge it up fully again and see if the stats reset to get you 2 days back.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for what's probably a stupid question but what do you mean by delete the stats? How I do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks for the reply, sorry for what's probably a stupid question but what do you mean by delete the stats? How I do this?

Depending on which version of android you may have the option to delete stats.

Does yours look like on the first image attached? If you click the gear icon in the top right does it give the option to delete?
    I'm not very familiar with the Miui interface so not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

it happened the same to me with redmi note 2....
    At the beginning It lasted like 4 hours of screen, then 3 hours, now after just 1 year it lasts like 2 hours. I changed the battery, same result. very disappointing.
    with the others brand never happened.

Cant see an option to delete stats, I will try fully draining and recharging to see if it helps, once the phone dies should I leave it switched off while charging?
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

I've decided to order the umi plus but when I went on umi's website to subscribe to the $70 off, it allows me to enter my email address and tells me that it's been successfully accepted. It then says an email will be sent to confirm but I haven't received any email from them. Do I need to wait until closer to the umi's release date to get this email perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Anyone recommend a good chinesse android tablet?

Decent screen and speed wifi direct or hdmi out would be great.

Thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

http://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-oneplus-one-16gb

It says in this link, that the One plus One has Android 6 on board. Could that be right?

I know these phones have a great reputation and I was looking at it for my daughter for Christmas. I'd want Android 6 at least ( I hate getting older operating systems). I wanted to spend about €170 and this looks to be great but it's not the colour I want. I know she'd like a gold or preferably a rose gold phone so I was looking at the Umi Super and the Leco Letv 2

Anyone got any advice on these or other phones for around that price. She love's her Snapchat so I was a bit reluctant to look at the Xiaomi's because I heard Miui system had problems with that app. She loves music, pictures, snapchat, instagram etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One Plus One has partial 4G support, you want a 2 or 3 for full support.

Half of the Le Eco range have full 4G support, half dont. The Le 2 doesnt, the Umi has full support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

http://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-oneplus-one-16gb

It says in this link, that the One plus One has Android 6 on board. Could that be right?

I have Android 6.0.1 on my One Plus One. It's still a smashing phone, 64GB storage, 4G (on VF anyway) and the battery lasts all day no problem. Have it two years and can't see myself getting rid of it for at least another year.

Having said that I just ordered an UMi Plus http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/22/umi-plus-4gb-ram-4000-mah-battery-just-179-extreme-edition-6gb-ram-coming-soon-sponsored-post/ for my son and that looks like a serious phone. I'll see how it performs for him and might get one myself. The upgrade wouldn't even be that expensive as the OPO will sell on Adverts no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No need to worry about 4g coverage on a oneplus one in my experience, been all over Ireland with 3, good coverage everywhere especially near towns...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

Got a notice today saying my phone was in customs in Dublin the phone cost 238 euro free shipping any idea how much it'll cost me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Got a notice today saying my phone was in customs in Dublin the phone cost 238 euro free shipping any idea how much it'll cost me

About €60,I think its 23% + €7 An post charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I have Android 6.0.1 on my One Plus One. It's still a smashing phone, 64GB storage, 4G (on VF anyway) and the battery lasts all day no problem. Have it two years and can't see myself getting rid of it for at least another year.

Having said that I just ordered an UMi Plus http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/22/umi-plus-4gb-ram-4000-mah-battery-just-179-extreme-edition-6gb-ram-coming-soon-sponsored-post/ for my son and that looks like a serious phone. I'll see how it performs for him and might get one myself. The upgrade wouldn't even be that expensive as the OPO will sell on Adverts no problem.

I'm definitely interested in the umi plus just registered there for the discount, looks like a great phone for my daughter, she'll be a happy bunny come Christmas morning. Hope they have cases ready for them too.

Thanks for the heads up Je suis Jean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You can read nothing into that review at all.

With my experience of umi, I'd hold off until real reviews come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

No its the wrong thread but can anyone recommended where I can get s3 mini unlock code while I'm waiting for a phone from china

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement