Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I've just ordered a gigaset ME Pure from an EU warehouse for 155 euros delivered

http://www.myefox.it/spedizione-dalleuropa-gigaset-me-pure-3gb-ram-32gb-rom-qualcomm-snapdragon-615-17ghz-octa-core-50-g-163732?utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=71545&siteid=160367
    (5 euros off with coupon code CPAWEB832

Gigaset are a Siemens brand, based in Germany and they mainly deal with DECT phones, but last year they announced an entry into the smartphone market with 3 mid to high end phones. The phones were designed and produced in China, so they count as chinese phones, but the fact that a reputable german company placed its name on them as an attempt to enter the market means that they're likely to have been stringently quality controlled and tested before release. (in fact, there were major delays between announcing them and releasing them, during which time, the specs improved from the initial announcement)

It seems they've pulled out of the market and their phones are now being offloaded.

The ME Pure was the cheapest of the 3 phones, but it was still asking 350 euros at launch, it's got a 5 inch hd screen, Snapdragon 615 octo core processor, 3gb ram and 34gb rom with a 3200mwh battery

Android version is 5.1 and updates are very unlikely now, but for people who just want a mid range phone for budget price, i think it's a great deal.

This phone has all of the sensors that are usually left out of mid and budget phones, including gyro, compass, pedometer, fingerprint.

The phone supports all the LTE frequencies used in Ireland, it's Dual sim, and it also has fast charging and usb c as well as an IR sender

http://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-gigaset-me-pure

I'll post a review when I receive it, but it looks great on paper.

There are two other phones, the ME, and the ME Pro, these have bigger screens and better processors and better cameras, but I prefer a 5 inch screen. the Pro version was listed for 700 euros last year and is now available for 220 euros from china with the risk of customs.

http://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-gigaset-me-pro

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That looks excellent. If you dont want the top of the line SoC then it ticks every box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭smilerf

Akrasia wrote: »
    I've just ordered a gigaset ME Pure from an EU warehouse for 155 euros delivered

http://www.myefox.it/spedizione-dalleuropa-gigaset-me-pure-3gb-ram-32gb-rom-qualcomm-snapdragon-615-17ghz-octa-core-50-g-163732?utm_source=webgains&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=71545&siteid=160367

Gigaset are a Siemens brand, based in Germany and they mainly deal with DECT phones, but last year they announced an entry into the smartphone market with 3 mid to high end phones. The phones were designed and produced in China, so they count as chinese phones, but the fact that a reputable german company placed its name on them as an attempt to enter the market means that they're likely to have been stringently quality controlled and tested before release. (in fact, there were major delays between announcing them and releasing them, during which time, the specs improved from the initial announcement)

It seems they've pulled out of the market and their phones are now being offloaded.

The ME Pure was the cheapest of the 3 phones, but it was still asking 350 euros at launch, it's got a 5 inch hd screen, Snapdragon 615 octo core processor, 3gb ram and 34gb rom with a 3200mwh battery

Android version is 5.1 and updates are very unlikely now, but for people who just want a mid range phone for budget price, i think it's a great deal.

This phone has all of the sensors that are usually left out of mid and budget phones, including gyro, compass, pedometer, fingerprint.

The phone supports all the LTE frequencies used in Ireland, it's Dual sim, and it also has fast charging and usb c as well as an IR sender

There are two other phones, the ME, and the ME Pro, these have bigger screens and better processors and better cameras, but I prefer a 5 inch screen. the Pro version was listed for 700 euros last year and is now available for 220 euros from china with the risk of customs.

well if it's anything like the Gigaset tablet I picked up for a measly 80 few weeks back you will be well pleased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I don't see an expandable SD card option on this phone, is that correct? If it has an expandable SD card I'll probably go ahead and buy one to replace my daughters old phone.

Edit: Just saw on the myefox.it website that it says the phone has "3GB RAM + 32GB ROM, supports TF card up to 128GB" I assume it's a case of either having 2 sim cards or one sim card and an SD card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

yeah. A choice between an sd card or 2nd sim

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

After my Elephone P9000 went up to heaven, Ive ordered the Bluboo Maya Max. Anyone on here have one?

yeah. A choice between an sd card or 2nd sim

Have you sussed out any cases for this phone yet? I just ordered it for my daughter who arrived home from a hockey match with a smashed screen so want to protect this against drops and smacks in a bag etc.

Edit: I just purchased one of these, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Luxury-Aluminum-Skin-PC-Back-Cover-For-Gigaset-Me-Pro-Me-Pure-Case-2-In-1/32653152913.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_0,searchweb201602_4_10057_10056_10065_10068_10055_10054_10069_10059_10058_418_10073_10017_10070_10060_10061_10052_10062_10053_10050_10051,searchweb201603_4&btsid=ed652cc2-189b-4355-8232-049b3b02c675. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

Is the umi plus being released this Week?

GatsbyGal wrote: »
    Is the umi plus being released this Week?

Pre-order discount still available here http://www.geekbuying.com/item/UMI-PLUS-5-5inch-Helio-P10-4GB-32GB-Smartphone---Gray-372264.html and it says they are shipping tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I hope it lives up to the billing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

This phone reminds me of another one.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1/10027099/5910402-authentic-vivo-x7-5-2-amoled-lte-smartphone-64gb

Cant for the life of me place what it is though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any recommendations for a non rooted Chinese phone (for Pokemon Go mainly)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Use a root hide app?

xposed had a pretty solid root mask module

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

None of that stuff works with safety net unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Hey folks,

Has anyone picked up the Xiaomi Mi5? Considering getting it to replace my OnePlus One..

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi5-M5-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-820-Quad-Core-5-2-1920x1080-16MP-Camera-Fingerprint/311331_32609395070.html

Edit 2: Just discovered the Umi Plus... Tempting...

Danger781 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Has anyone picked up the Xiaomi Mi5? Considering getting it to replace my OnePlus One..

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-Xiaomi-Mi5-M5-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-820-Quad-Core-5-2-1920x1080-16MP-Camera-Fingerprint/311331_32609395070.html

Edit 2: Just discovered the Umi Plus... Tempting...

You'll see from the posts above that I've purchased a UMi Plus and am waiting for the delivery. Based on the specs I think it's fabulous value particularly at the pre-sale price of just €185 which I think only last another 8 days but that might just be pure marketing hype and the phone will soon be generally available for €185. Either way Geekbuying reckons they sill start shipping later today so I'll know soon enough if the phone lives up to the spec sheet. The fact it is pure vanilla Android 6 gives me hope!! See http://www.geekbuying.com/item/UMI-PLUS-5-5inch-Helio-P10-4GB-32GB-Smartphone---Gray-372264.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

You'll see from the posts above that I've purchased a UMi Plus and am waiting for the delivery. Based on the specs I think it's fabulous value particularly at the pre-sale price of just €185 which I think only last another 8 days but that might just be pure marketing hype and the phone will soon be generally available for €185. Either way Geekbuying reckons they sill start shipping later today so I'll know soon enough if the phone lives up to the spec sheet. The fact it is pure vanilla Android 6 gives me hope!! See http://www.geekbuying.com/item/UMI-PLUS-5-5inch-Helio-P10-4GB-32GB-Smartphone---Gray-372264.html

Are you not going to be shafted for tax on that?

Danger781 wrote: »
    Are you not going to be shafted for tax on that?

Hardly shafted. I may have to pay normal customs (duty + VAT) if it's stopped on the way in but even if I do it's not a huge amount so wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Even with duty and VAT it would still be better value than buying something with the same specs within the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What's the turn around on delivery?

I'm so close to buying an S7 but every day I read here and see phones with similar specs for half the price or less... Ugh!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What's the turn around on delivery?
    Generally slow. It can take 2-3 weeks for a device to arrive via snail mail. There is usually an option to have it sent DHL but a) that increases the cost and b) it flags it for automatic assessment by customs which will attract duty and VAT.

Snail mail in plain packaging (select the drop ship option) is potentially the best way to keep costs down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Followed on the Umi Plus, here hoping it's decent!

It will be to replace my Oneplus One which has a severely scratched screen at this point and is starting to show it's age after over 2 years.
    I just bought the missus a Huawei P9 which is pretty slick and it made me crave a new phone for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 primacalibre

Hi all,

Long time boards lurker, first time poster.

I'm only really posting because I felt obliged to give my findings on my UMI Touch.

I have it about 6/8 weeks now and I have to say in terms or value versus equivalent smartphone offerings available here in Ireland, it's very good.

I bought it through Coolicool. They have an option to purchase certain phones from their EU warehouse which means no worrying about customs fees and a MUCH quicker delivery time! Although I never got a notification that it was dispatched, it just arrived, but still only about a week and a half delivery.

For 165 quid it came with Android 6.0, 3GB RAM, decent MediaTek processor, fingerprint sensor and 16GB of ROM which in my book is a pretty good deal!

I was slightly hesitant in buying it as I have never bought a phone from a Chinese manufacturer before but since I got it, it has been at least as good as my previous phone before it....

In fairness the camera does leave a little to be desired and the fingerprint sensor does frustrate sometimes when it can't open on the first few goes but it's really fast and has handled anything I've thrown at it with apparent ease.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.... Mostly due to the fact that I saved at least a hundred quid if not considerably more than if I had have bought a phone here!!

Would defo recommend for anyone who is looking for a good mid/high tier spec'd smartphone that looks good, stays fast but someone who doesn't take a million photos, just my 2 cents ;-)

Followed on the Umi Plus, here hoping it's decent!

It will be to replace my Oneplus One which has a severely scratched screen at this point and is starting to show it's age after over 2 years.
    I just bought the missus a Huawei P9 which is pretty slick and it made me crave a new phone for myself!

Like you I too have a OnePlus One just about two years now and it recently started to slow so I did a full wipe and installed a custom Marshmallow ROM from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/orig-development/rom-kernel-unofficial-cyanogenmod-13-0-t3242700 which restored all the original zippy performance and I've even got OTA updates the latest of which arrived yesterday. Took a couple of hours to wipe, install the ROM, reinstall all the apps and set up launcher and home-screens etc but it was well worth it and the phone is like new. I know your screen is scratched so that might count against it but it might be worth getting a new screen installed then update it to the custom ROM and flog it on Adverts rather than chucking in a drawer or in the recycle bin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

Danger781 wrote:

Got a mi5 the other day arriving tommorow 60 euro of customs but was still much cheaper than anything you'd get here will update tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Hi all,

Long time boards lurker, first time poster.

I'm only really posting because I felt obliged to give my findings on my UMI Touch.

I have it about 6/8 weeks now and I have to say in terms or value versus equivalent smartphone offerings available here in Ireland, it's very good.

How is the GPS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

antodeco wrote: »
    After my Elephone P9000 went up to heaven, Ive ordered the Bluboo Maya Max. Anyone on here have one?

Just done the same myself, has excellent reviews on youtube from various sources
    here's a fuller one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzivtYYIxTA&list=PLlOPcx9eGaU4cLzOwNIK417tyT4QbF7JT

For a 6" 720 screen only 136 euro on bang good till Friday 30/09 cant go too wrong I think

http://www.banggood.com/Bluboo-Maya-Max-6_0-inch-Fingerprint-3GB-RAM-32GB-ROM-MTK6750-Octa-core-4G-Smartphone-p-1077945.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Anyone get the UMI Super update? fecking finger print takes ages to pick up now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Anyone get the UMI Super update? fecking finger print takes ages to pick up now :mad:

How is the phone otherwise ? I know you are not a 'camera and GPS' user but have you any reports on how they work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

eamonnq wrote: »
    How is the phone otherwise ? I know you are not a 'camera and GPS' user but have you any reports on how they work ?

Haven't tried GPS but might give it a go for a laugh :pac: camera is good, not great for snapchat if thats a deal breaker for anyone :D I like the phone, battery holds up well, charges a % a minute too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Looking for some recommendations please.

My 10 year olds hand me down Nexus 4 is on its last legs and I was considering a Moto G3 as a replacement but it looks like a sideways step at best performance wise so I thought a Chinese phone may be a better buy.

Looking for a 5" screen, (screen res doesn't matter so much).

Vanilla Android or at least the ability to flash a similar ROM is a must.

Decent GPS for Pokémon go purposes and decent battery life would also be important.

Budget of around €200 max.

invest4deepvalue.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement