Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Successful repair of my UMi Super screen complete! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Took delivery of an Mi5 from Oppomart this week. $300 including extra fee to post from their EU warehouse. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order.

Delivery got stuck in France for about a week with Chronopost.
    Phone had a vendor rom installed by Oppomart which was a pain to remove.
    Phone has no FM tuner. I really miss this
    Phone is slippery as fúck! It will slide off any surface that is not perfectly level.
    Gorgeous phone and while very light, it has a definite heft to it that makes it lovely to hold.
    The OS, MiUI is very aggressive at killing background apps. So much so, that it killed an alarm clock app that I installed and I slept in. The inbuilt alarm clock seems to work ok.
    MIUI. I couldn't be arsed with that. I stuck Nova Launcher on.
    Camera is very decent but I don't see any evidence of the 4-OIS.
    Fingerprint unlocking is excellent.
    Sound is fantastic with Xiaomi Piston 3 earphones coupled with their equivalent EQ setting.
    It's lightning fast. My previous phone was a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, and this is streets ahead. Flicking between apps or browser tabs is instantaneous.
    Screen is exceptional.

The phone itself is just gorgeous. You just want to keep picking it up. I couldn't put a case on it as it would be a shame. But at $300 it is easier to take that risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

bajer101 wrote: »
    Took delivery of an Mi5 from Oppomart this week. $300 including extra fee to post from their EU warehouse. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order.

Delivery got stuck in France for about a week with Chronopost.
    Phone had a vendor rom installed by Oppomart which was a pain to remove.
    Phone has no FM tuner. I really miss this
    Phone is slippery as fúck! It will slide off any surface that is not perfectly level.
    Gorgeous phone and while very light, it has a definite heft to it that makes it lovely to hold.
    The OS, MiUI is very aggressive at killing background apps. So much so, that it killed an alarm clock app that I installed and I slept in. The inbuilt alarm clock seems to work ok.
    MIUI. I couldn't be arsed with that. I stuck Nova Launcher on.
    Camera is very decent but I don't see any evidence of the 4-OIS.
    Fingerprint unlocking is excellent.
    Sound is fantastic with Xiaomi Piston 3 earphones coupled with their equivalent EQ setting.
    It's lightning fast. My previous phone was a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, and this is streets ahead. Flicking between apps or browser tabs is instantaneous.
    Screen is exceptional.

The phone itself is just gorgeous. You just want to keep picking it up. I couldn't put a case on it as it would be a shame. But at $300 it is easier to take that risk!

The background apps getting closed all the time is a deliberate thing in MIUI because of data restrictions in China. You can get around it though without needing to flash a ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Akrasia wrote: »
    no matter how fast a phone is at opening apps or playing games, not having the LTE band 20 in Ireland should be a dealbreaker. There are plenty of phones that are just as good but also compatible with the networks that you'll need to rely on now and into the future.

I can't understand why people here buy xiaomi phones when they don't support our best networks. Its not much use having a really fast computer on a dial up internet connection, so why have a fast phone limited to 3g networks when there are plenty of alternatives that have both.
    Have to agree with you there - hence why I ruled out any Xiaomi phone when I was buying. I find it so frustrating when I am in an area that has no 4g. Even using donedeal is noticeably slower..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

RHJ wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The Redmi Note 3 pro is a quality device and probably the biggest seller on this thread. The Note 4 is out now for around the same price so it's probably worth picking up it even though its specs aren't all that different to the Note 3's.

The Mi5 is also out now if you're looking for the next upgrade on the Mi 4?

Apart from that I personally recommend the UMi Super and based on my experience with that phone I would say keep an eye on the UMi Plus, that looks an excellent prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Hi all,looking for a new phone and have been looking at the various recommendations on the thread,I really liked the UMI super but I think the phone is a bit big.Could any one recommend a similarly spec'd phone but in a smaller size.
    Regards ST

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Has anyone with an umi or xiaomi phone tested Pokemon Go 0.39 successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Has anyone with an umi or xiaomi phone tested Pokemon Go 0.39 successfully?

I have a Xiaomi Mi Max running the stock Chinese & English rom MIUI 8, just
    downloaded and tested Pokemon Go 0.39 and it seems to run fine on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Is anyone using a Xaiomi MI3S The Global version with Band20 LTE?

I am thinking of getting this would you recommend it?

Also what are the Dual Sim options, can the second sim get a 3G/2G signal for calls and text (Not data) While the Data Sim 4G/3G I know the OnePlus3 has this but I can't find any info on this one.

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 11,967 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is anyone using a Xaiomi MI3S The Global version with Band20 LTE?

I am thinking of getting this would you recommend it?

Also what are the Dual Sim options, can the second sim get a 3G/2G signal for calls and text (Not data) While the Data Sim 4G/3G I know the OnePlus3 has this but I can't find any info on this one.

Cheers lads

Am I right in saying Xiaomi phones don't have the band 20? Think it was posted a page or 2 back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GBX wrote: »
    Am I right in saying Xiaomi phones don't have the band 20? Think it was posted a page or 2 back as well.

Most dont, but not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Kilboor wrote: »
    Successful repair of my UMi Super screen complete! :D

I was wondering yesterday were they unbreakable. I've mine dropped half a dozen times and still no crack. I've usually broken within the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Does Xiaomi phones have dual rear leds?

GBX wrote: »

This one apparently has an international version with it enabled, can anyone else confirm I can't find any info on it apart from some sellers saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Elephone P9000: 2 week review

As many folks here know, I had a bit of a disastrous experience buying this phone. The issues were mostly to do with the vendors (and some of them being lying, thieving, unethical scum) rather than any problems with the device itself.

What happened in the end was I eventually got a chargeback approved by the bank for one of the phones (which was charged in error, arrived used, locked, and ultimately bricked). The other, I returned to the vendor with a minor sound recording fault - they appear to have received it, tested it and ignored or not noticed the issue and sent it back to me. I got it back from them last week and I've been using it since.

The device itself has a fabulous screen. I'm sold on the large screen concept now, coming from a smaller screen I was sceptical but it's awesome. Great for watching videos. The speakers are decent and work well for calls and playing sound (e.g. mobile games).

Performance-wise, I was coming from an iOS device so it's hard to compare, but I've had no complaints. Load time on everything seems pretty instant to me and there seems to be plenty of RAM for multi-tasking.

The fingerprint reader is very fast. Took a day or so to get the muscle memory of pressing the right position, rather than fingerprinting the camera lens, but I like the position near the top-centre of the back now.

Data connection is good, does 3G and 4G when available.

Photos are good. Not poor, not amazing, but the screen size helps them look very good. Video is decent too and good for personal use. More on that in a moment.

Call quality is good and I've been told that the sound is clear on the far end (I specifically checked this with several callers because of the microphone issue I had).

The battery is good - bear in mind I'm coming from the horrible world of iPhone battery - and gives a full day of medium-usage or a half-day of very heavy usage. The quick charge works great, but it's the the wireless charging that blows me away- I'm really shocked at how fast the wireless charging is on a cheap Qi compatible pad with a measly little 1A USB input. I haven't tested it with a 2A input yet but I imagine it's better again.

All the usual stuff is fine - the gyroscope rotates well, the GPS is decent enough (but not quite as good at picking up satellites as the iPhone 5), the bluetooth connects to my car really fast (in a second or two), and I haven't used the NFC much yet but it works.

Ok, so back to the sound issue, and the one true negative. I've found that there is some noise being picked up by the microphone when it's in audio recording mode (but not in calls). When I start a recording app that shows a waveform, in a silent room, I see a low but consistent noise getting picked up by the mic. This is a problem for me specifically as I wanted to use the phone to record some business podcast interviews, so the audio quality is crucial.

I returned this device to the vendor with a note about this and they tested it (I saw their test recordings with the problem present) and then sent it back to me saying there was no problem with the device! I doubt my bank is going to entertain another chargeback, particularly for a seemingly minor issue, so I need to deal with it - I think I'll give it to a family member and get something else after testing the audio. The other option is to do what the guy who left a comment on my video did, and return to the manufacturer wait patiently for a couple of months and hope that it doesn't get lost and that they actually fix the problem before sending it back.

Overall, if you're not using specifically for audio recording, I think the Elephone P9000 is a super device for the money and I would recommend it.

However, there is a major caveat: my experience shows me that the online vendors and marketplaces are highly untrustworthy. My advice is act on the assumption that they're going to try to rip you off and you will need to chargeback, so keep records of everything (including screen caps of live chat, etc). Take photos of everything that you get sent as you open it. Hopefully that won't happen and you won't need any of it, but if it does you'll have documentation to show your bank to support a chargeback.

Lads I ordered a Xiaomi note 2 from GearBest for a good price from their EU warehouse. I saw they have a sub forum on boards so must be ok but I have been reading some very negative stuff on here about GearBest. What is the general consensus on GearBest? I have heard they can take a while to deliver? Any feedback, I'd be grateful for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

If it works your fine. If it breaks, you're as far on talking to the wall you're looking at. There customer service is non existent, other than a few pictures of cats or some internet meme.

I'd use someone else, aliexpress sellers as great as they need your feedback to promote themselves. Generally work out cheaper too.

RossieMan wrote: »
    If it works your fine. If it breaks, you're as far on talking to the wall you're looking at. There customer service is non existent, other than a few pictures of cats or some internet meme.

I'd use someone else, aliexpress sellers as great as they need your feedback to promote themselves. Generally work out cheaper too.

To late already purchased :(

I bought it without signing up for an account and paid through paypal, when I want to view my order in my email it says go to my account-myorders but I dont have a fecking account

• Advertisement

Just got off the live chat with GearBest apparently the phone I ordered was out of stock and wanted me to wait 15 days for it to arrive from China. Screw that, I pay for 3 day delivery and they want me to wait for it to come from china? they said they would refund me back to my paypal

I would take careful note of when your 60-day PayPal refund period ends. Contact their support and ask if you can access that without an account, or if you can create an account and add the order to it somehow.

Trojan wrote: »
    I would take careful note of when your 60-day PayPal refund period ends. Contact their support and ask if you can access that without an account, or if you can create an account and add the order to it somehow.

I contacted their support and they said they were going to cancel the order for me because they have none in stock. The support staff said it should take about 24 hours to process and I should get an email within 24 hours, surely it shouldn't take that long to send out a notice of cancelling? I know it might take a while to get back to my paypal but order of cancellation should be instant?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Guys which would be the best phone the Oukitel k6000 Pro or the xiaomi redmi note 3 pro?Any other phones in this price range which yous think might be better,Please let me know.Thanks

I contacted their support and they said they were going to cancel the order for me because they have none in stock. The support staff said it should take about 24 hours to process and I should get an email within 24 hours, surely it shouldn't take that long to send out a notice of cancelling? I know it might take a while to get back to my paypal but order of cancellation should be instant?

You seem to be assuming that they are telling you the truth. I know I'm jaded and cynical here, but don't take anything they tell you at face value until you see hard proof of it.

I don't know about GearBest, but I was told by a supplier that my order had been cancelled and I would be refunded. I wasn't. About a month later I received a broken, 2nd-hand device with a charger that had clearly seen months of use.

If I was you, I'd wait the 24 hours, check for a refund, and then start the dispute procedure through PayPal.

Trojan wrote: »
    You seem to be assuming that they are telling you the truth. I know I'm jaded and cynical here, but don't take anything they tell you at face value until you see hard proof of it.

I don't know about GearBest, but I was told by a supplier that my order had been cancelled and I would be refunded. I wasn't. About a month later I received a broken, 2nd-hand device with a charger that had clearly seen months of use.

If I was you, I'd wait the 24 hours, check for a refund, and then start the dispute procedure through PayPal.

I dont trust gearbest one bit after reading about them, I start a dispute with paypal instantly. They have sold me a phone that was suppoosedly in stock and took the money out of my account before they tell me its not in stock, that is reason enough to start a dispute instantly in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Lads I ordered a Xiaomi note 2 from GearBest for a good price from their EU warehouse. I saw they have a sub forum on boards so must be ok but I have been reading some very negative stuff on here about GearBest. What is the general consensus on GearBest? I have heard they can take a while to deliver? Any feedback, I'd be grateful for :D

i got a redmi note 2 from the same place at christmas,took a week or so to arrive.

there was some adware on the rom

i use HK goldway or TopOne now

Has anyone used geekbuyer the Spanish eu warehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Just ordered the Umi Plus via TopTek on Aliexpress

Down to $179.99 at the moment which is the cheapest I have seen anywhere..
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Umi-Ultrathin-4G-Fingerprint-4000mAh-5-5-FHD-Smartphone-Android-6-0-MTK6755-Octa-Core-Cellphone/32729852066.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Danger781 wrote: »
    Just ordered the Umi Plus via TopTek on Aliexpress

Down to $179.99 at the moment which is the cheapest I have seen anywhere..
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Umi-Ultrathin-4G-Fingerprint-4000mAh-5-5-FHD-Smartphone-Android-6-0-MTK6755-Octa-Core-Cellphone/32729852066.html

0 feedback though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement