Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

If it was a Samsung etc it would cost near double that, just for the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

The whole idea of buying from China is to keep it on the cheaper side :D I don't care if a phone has 50GB RAM, what's it going to achieve? open programs a split hair faster? :/

That's like saying 'Why would anyone want a car that goes to 0 - 60 in 2.6 seconds?'. It's not just the RAM, it's every other spec that's inside the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Paradicia wrote: »
    That's like saying 'Why would anyone want a car that goes to 0 - 60 in 2.6 seconds?'.

I don't know why they would tbh. I get the bus everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Apparently the Mi Mix wont be available outside of China according to Xiaomi execs.

To the person questioning whether the 6.4" screen could be used with one hand....
    MG]

Pretty sure they only operate in China and India so that just cuts India out, sure none of the phones bought here are released outside China

Have a look at the op for some stores.

I hope it gets a price cut, I imagine the bezeless screen and speaker are expensive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Hey guys,

thanks so much for your help, I finally got my mi5
    however I have a slight problem. I got the 32gb model but it says the available storage is only 24gb??
    Is this because of the rom or bloatware?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

wozza wrote: »
    It appears the pricing on my previous post was bovine excrement sorry lads

here is pre order sale price for Mi Mix 18K on Bang good :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-18k-6_4-inch-Edgeless-Display-6GB-RAM-256GB-ROM-Snapdragon-821-Quad-Core-4G-Smartphone-p-1099278.html?rmmds=category

no band 20 (800MHz) for 4g in Ireland... explains why it is not being released in Europe :rolleyes:

cinnamony wrote: »
    Hey guys,

thanks so much for your help, I finally got my mi5
    however I have a slight problem. I got the 32gb model but it says the available storage is only 24gb??
    Is this because of the rom or bloatware?

Thanks!

The OS takes up a certain amount of space as well as pre installed apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

RossieMan wrote: »
    It's a crazy price to be honest.

It cuts out the whole point of Chinese phones. Cheap, cheerful and to the point.

No fancy extras needed.

Who the hell needs 100gb in a phone ffs.

It's obviously not for those who want "cheap, cheerful and to the point" Chinese phones. There's plenty of "cheap, cheerful and to the point" Chinese phones out there already. It's far cheaper than flagships and is a great price for what you're getting imo. It's about time there was some decent innovation in smartphones.

People who download music to listen to for playing offline need a lot of storage, as do people who watch videos/movies on their phones.
    no band 20 (800MHz) for 4g in Ireland... explains why it is not being released in Europe :rolleyes:

“Quelle surprise!”

Id just get the wiffy code in restaurants as Fidelma says

https://vine.co/v/e1KIjgrLIJ2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

haha wiffy code :D

sometimes I go into restaurants and they do indeed have a wiffy code, but normally its iffy and not working ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That's like saying 'Why would anyone want a car that goes to 0 - 60 in 2.6 seconds?'. It's not just the RAM, it's every other spec that's inside the phone.

No, it's not, it's a phone. What could you possibly need break neck speeds for? feel free to elaborate ... I know what extra 'oomph' entails, but you can get extremely fast, solid, reliable phones now for €300. So do enlighten me as to what would make the extra 400+ worthwhile spending here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

No, it's not, it's a phone. What could you possibly need break neck speeds for? feel free to elaborate ... I know what extra 'oomph' entails, but you can get extremely fast, solid, reliable phones now for €300. So do enlighten me as to what would make the extra 400+ worthwhile spending here?

Gaming, Mobile based games are going to take off in the next few years hence the need for bigger batteries, ram and memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Paradicia

The iPhone 7 Plus fetches for 1000+ euro on Apples website. The 256 GB model w/6GB of Ram of this phone is 540 Euro if this was pencilled in for a European release. If you can't see the value in the below, then I don't see the point of arguing. People do a lot more than play snake on their phones these days.
    • 6.4-inch 17:9 2040 x 1080p display with edgeless design, ultra-high 91.3% screen-to-body ratio
    • 2.35GHz Snapdragon 821 SoC
    • 4GB and 6GB RAM variants
    • 128GB and 256GB UFS 2.0 ROM variants
    • 16MP PDAF rear camera
    • 5MP front camera
    • 4400mAh battery, Quick Charge 3.0
    • NFC
    • Full ceramic body - One of the hardest materials on the face of the planet below diamond.

The Mi Mix is something that wasn't even deemed possible a few possible a few years. Now it's here in the flesh. Specs aside, the phone looks spectacular. It's a peek into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

fixxxer wrote: »
    The OS takes up a certain amount of space as well as pre installed apps.

Thank you for confirming that for me!
    I figured that's what it was considering everything else is beautiful but just wanted to make sure :pac:

The iPhone 7 Plus fetches for 1000+ euro on Apples website. The 256 GB model w/6GB of Ram of this phone is 540 Euro if this was pencilled in for a European release. If you can't see the value in the below, then I don't see the point of arguing. People do a lot more than play snake on their phones these days.
    • 6.4-inch 17:9 2040 x 1080p display with edgeless design, ultra-high 91.3% screen-to-body ratio
    • 2.35GHz Snapdragon 821 SoC
    • 4GB and 6GB RAM variants
    • 128GB and 256GB UFS 2.0 ROM variants
    • 16MP PDAF rear camera
    • 5MP front camera
    • 4400mAh battery, Quick Charge 3.0
    • NFC
    • Full ceramic body - One of the hardest materials on the face of the planet below diamond.

The Mi Mix is something that wasn't even deemed possible a few possible a few years. Now it's here in the flesh. Specs aside, the phone looks spectacular. It's a peek into the future.

I don't see 400+ worth over already great phones there. But, that's just me. I have a phone with 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM and I doubt I'm making the most of that even. It also has a 16mp camera, though it's a bit muck :D and a 4000mah battery. It was €175. I understand early adapters, someone's got to be the guinea pigs right! but that phone will be 1/4 the price if you wait a while on the Chinese sites.

As for the iPhone ... complete 'meh' from me on that front. I had the iPhone 5 when it was the hottest thing on the market, and hated it with a passion. It was that phone made me switch to Android tbh. Wouldn't say no to one like, but wouldn't spend a cent on one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

iPhone demands a premium due to their immense quality and customer service.

I don't see xiaomi having this in Europe. Also, it's not going to be 500 or 600 in Europe. It'll be 600 + easily, that's not even counting customs.

It's a great phone no doubt. But is it worth its price tag? I don't think so, it's too big of a risk given the screen is going to be a fecker if it's dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Eat your heart out Apple. This is my next phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I am strongly thinking of getting the One Plus 3 - can anyone recommend a cheaper/better alternative?

I have done some research on this myself and there seems to be quite a selection and many new phones coming out so i am looking for more of a personal opinion before i splash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    I am strongly thinking of getting the One Plus 3 - can anyone recommend a cheaper/better alternative?

I have done some research on this myself and there seems to be quite a selection and many new phones coming out so i am looking for more of a personal opinion before i splash out.

FYI evleaks says there's an updated model due very soon called the 3T and will be $80 more so might be worthwhile holding out for a week or two to see if it's confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

But it has band 3 (1800) which they all use too?
    Would that not be good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

RossieMan wrote: »
    iPhone demands a premium due to their immense quality and customer service.

I don't see xiaomi having this in Europe. Also, it's not going to be 500 or 600 in Europe. It'll be 600 + easily, that's not even counting customs.

It's a great phone no doubt. But is it worth its price tag? I don't think so, it's too big of a risk given the screen is going to be a fecker if it's dropped.

The MI MIX is 700 on pre sale so add 23% customs and that wont probably have international rom/compatibility your up with apple stitch up prices

The body is ceramic, so chances are the pottery body will shatter on impact and leave the screen whole,

Nice looking phone I agree but too many variables and new untried technology for me to chuck a grand at

• Advertisement

The body is ceramic, so chances are the pottery body will shatter on impact and leave the screen whole,

It's not like a jar from 'My First Pottery Kit", it's extremely durable and tough, far stronger than glass

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Discodog wrote: »
    Eat your heart out Apple. This is my next phone.

Dang, I only just bought the Mi Max... This looks sweet...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

It's not like a jar from 'My First Pottery Kit", it's extremely durable and tough, far stronger than glass

wondered if somebody would bite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

So do enlighten me as to what would make the extra 400+ worthwhile spending here?

It's shiny !!

wondered if somebody would bite ?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

eamonnq wrote: »
    It's shiny !!

Shiny awsomeness :D

lafors wrote: »
    But it has band 3 (1800) which they all use too?
    Would that not be good enough?

What usually happens is you'll be fine in built up areas but drop to 3G as you go more suburb/rural. My Xiaomi has 4G no problem a lot of the time but there are certain spots where its on 3G the whole time where others on more regular phones have 4G signal.

eamonnq wrote: »
    It's shiny !!

Win response! :D

I can't talk anyway, I buy and sell camera gear all the time, I don't look at the lower end common people stuff, I chase high end elitist gear ... :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

The production runs for the Mi Mix will be relatively small due to the ceramic body so I can't see this coming down further towards the retail price in China any time soon. That being said it is being listed on Oppomart for $600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

ionapaul wrote: »
    I ordered the same phone (with tempered glass protector) from Top One a few days ago and including the DHL shipping the total only came to $228 I believe, about €208 on XE. It looks like the page you ordered from is much more expensive for some reason; this is the link I used: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-MTK-Helio-X-20-Deca-Core-3GB-RAM-64GB-ROM-Mobile/32720790752.html

I just pulled the plug on this too. Wish me luck, can't wait to get away from my crappy 640XL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement