Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

wozza wrote: »
    just picked up a xiaomi note 3 pro 3/32gb off adverts for 125 dont seem too bad for money

2 niggles so far wifi not the best, loose signal about 30 metres from Huawei 5186 router where iphone 4s was good for about 180 metres, bluboo maya max got about 100 yds

location services show me in frenchpark about 12km out, interesting to see how gps/sat nav works

fairly good camera, battery life good and fast responsive phone 8 out of 10

New or used?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

New or used?

Is 4 months old and not a mark on it.

I like the note 3 pro. Seems to have a better spec than the newer note 4 except for the cpu.

Note 3 pro has good reviews on YouTube and difference between 3 & 4 is minimal in performance, Price is 40 cheaper for 3 pro from goldway etc
    All i can say is this note 3 pro i have wipes seconds off opening & closing apps/web pages on my mates iPhone 6s

Midfield9 wrote: »
    I'm between the 3 pro and the 4 also. The 4 is cheaper also. What's the audio like on these phones. My current phone is crap and driving me mad. I miss more calls than I answer because I can't hear it in a noisy work environment. If anyone has any opinions on call ringer volume of either phone?

Am I right in saying HTC m series are loud ringing. Only Vodafone don't do them on contract so I'm prepared to wait and what happens when the m11 is released next year.

Why you get your own phone snd have a sim only contract then u not tied in to a phone for 24 months that isnt what u really want

RossieMan wrote: »
    Download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps&hl=en and that'll sort your gps.

Have a Xiaomi myself and sorts it for me. Still a bit jumpy, but thats the joys of MTK processors.

Cheers for that but it says on app that device must be rooted, so i went for gps tester then while trying it out it told me to turn on GPS ( doh)
    User error occurred not phone error now it only 13 feet out says the app , sorted ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Is 4 months old and not a mark on it.

Good deal, I'm on the hunt for one around that price

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Why you get your own phone snd have a sim only contract then u not tied in to a phone for 24 months that isnt what u really want

I actually don't mind, i want Vodafone for the coverage and I have both parents phones and 2 dongles on my bill with Vodafones all in package so I think it's cheaper that way. Just want a phone now and I might/might not renew my contract when HTC/Samsung release their new ones next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

All i can say is this note 3 pro i have wipes seconds off opening & closing apps/web pages on my mates iPhone 6s

I'm surprised to hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Finally got to test the GPS on the Umi Super....worked perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

vkid wrote: »
    In the same boat myself. There is so many phones.
    Kind of narrowed it down to these

http://www.honorbuy.com/936-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-64gb-gray.html

http://www.honorbuy.com/707-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-pro-32gb-gray.html

Anyone any feedback on Honor Buy or recommend somewhere else for quick delivery?

I've used them four or five times for various things and never had a problem with them. EU warehouse shipping has been pretty quick. As always YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

You mean "pull the trigger"? Pull the plug means to cancel :D

sigh Pedantic much? :p

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reliable AliExpress seller for the Redmi Note 4 (international version)?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

Has anyone had the issue where, when trying to flash to the most recent rom a message warns you that you are installing an older version than the current one. After pressing proceed the phone appears to go through the updating process yet afterwards nothing as changed and the phone has the same version of rom,
    This is happening on my Xiaomi redmi 3s so I am looking for a solution as the loaded rom has some bloatware and popups

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reliable AliExpress seller for the Redmi Note 4 (international version)?

Honk kong Goldway and Top One are both highly rated on hete

Search for phone then all sellers listed just for sellers name icon in left hand corner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

pcasso wrote: »
    Has anyone had the issue where, when trying to flash to the most recent rom a message warns you that you are installing an older version than the current one. After pressing proceed the phone appears to go through the updating process yet afterwards nothing as changed and the phone has the same version of rom,
    This is happening on my Xiaomi redmi 3s so I am looking for a solution as the loaded rom has some bloatware and popups

Possibly you have a vendor rom.

Report what you find here : - settings - about phone - MIUI Version.

You may need to flash an official rom by miflash (EDL mode if available on your device.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Anyone used the seller MC MART via Aliexpress? Reliable? Genuine?

corkie wrote: »
    Possibly you have a vendor rom.

Report what you find here : - settings - about phone - MIUI Version.

You may need to flash an official rom by miflash (EDL mode if available on your device.)

Yes, it is a vendor rom as far as I can tell:mad:
    MIUI-V7.8.21.8.MALCNDE
    It has set up to thwart all my attempts at installing an official one.
    File explorer doesn't recognise the file and when I installed a second file explorer which did it managed to somehow corrupt that somehow.
    When I did get to the stage where I thought I was successful in flashing the official rom, it went through the process only to revert back to the vendor rom afterwards.
    I am pretty much beyond my level of expertise in truth at this point and I was hopefully looking for some relatively simple ways of sucesfully installing the official rom.
    It is a a lovely phone but the there are popups trying to take to to dodgy sites and few of the system apps are causing problems eating the battery and using data.
    I guess I can always take it to a phone shop and the should be able to sort it for me.:(

Yes, it is a vendor rom as far as I can tell:mad:
    MIUI-V7.8.21.8.MALCNDE
    It has set up to thwart all my attempts at installing an official one.
    File explorer doesn't recognise the file and when I installed a second file explorer which did it managed to somehow corrupt that somehow.
    When I did get to the stage where I thought I was successful in flashing the official rom, it went through the process only to revert back to the vendor rom afterwards.
    I am pretty much beyond my level of expertise in truth at this point and I was hopefully looking for some relatively simple ways of sucesfully installing the official rom.
    It is a a lovely phone but the there are popups trying to take to to dodgy sites and few of the system apps are causing problems eating the battery and using data.
    I guess I can always take it to a phone shop and the should be able to sort it for me.:(

You can not use the updater app to flash an official rom over a vendor rom.
    Try following the guide, linked below to, to flash an official rom in EDL Mode.

How to fix bricked Redmi 3s on MIUI 7 / MIUI 8

You can not use the updater app to flash an official rom over a vendor rom.
    Try following the guide, linked below to, to flash an official rom in EDL Mode.

How to fix bricked Redmi 3s on MIUI 7 / MIUI 8
    Cheers for that.
    Any idea if there is a simpler way as that seems to be pretty daunting for a none techi like me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Cheers for that.
    Any idea if there is a simpler way as that seems to be pretty daunting for a none techi like me:o

It's actually pretty easy. Sounds daunting but once you do it you will see it is one of the easiest phones to flash using that flashing tool

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    It's actually pretty easy. Sounds daunting but once you do it you will see it is one of the easiest phones to flash using that flashing tool
    Okay, i will give it a go.
    Just a question, and there may be more.
    There doesn't seem to be a rom file to download specific to my redmi 3s yet on the page that was linked as the step by step guide.
    Could I go ahead as per the step by step guide and use another version of the rom that I downloaded from here http://en.miui.com/download-303.html

Okay, i will give it a go.
    Just a question, and there may be more.
    There doesn't seem to be a rom file to download specific to my redmi 3s yet on the page that was linked as the step by step guide.
    Could I go ahead as per the step by step guide and use another version of the rom that I downloaded from here http://en.miui.com/download-303.html

No you need a fastboot rom for it to work.

Scroll way down on this link: - http://en.miui.com/a-234.html

No you need a fastboot rom for it to work.

Scroll way down on this link: - http://en.miui.com/a-234.html
    Apologies for being stupid but I take it I need the redmi 3s Prime one.
    Never heard it referenced as the prime before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

bit the bullet and bought a redmi note 4.
    can anyone suggest a good case for it?

This is the one I used
    Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm Latest Global Developer Version Fastboot File Download
    But mine is the redmi note 3 pro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Yes m8 its for the Redmi 3s/Prime

The prime has more ram and storage

Well I gave it a try and when trying to get the phone into emergency download mode it completely shut down and now is it seems fully bricked.:(:(:(:(
    Does anybody know a decent and trustworthy phone repair shop I can bring it to, preferably near the Dublin 3 area.

Well I gave it a try and when trying to get the phone into emergency download mode it completely shut down and now is it seems fully bricked.:(:(:(:(
    Does anybody know a decent and trustworthy phone repair shop I can bring it to, preferably near the Dublin 3 area.
    How do you know it's fully bricked. What is it doing? If flashing red light continuously then it is in download (edl) mode. You can send reboot command or just keep finger on power button for good few seconds to reboot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    How do you know it's fully bricked. What is it doing? If flashing red light continuously then it is in download (edl) mode. You can send reboot command or just keep finger on power button for good few seconds to reboot
    Yep, you are right.
    Holding the power button for about ten seconds has booted it up again.
    Still think I am out of my league so at this point I think I will take it to a phone repairs shop if anybody can recommend a decent one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement