Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

ionapaul wrote: »
    I see that that case is made up of two separate parts, a metal bumper and acrylic back - do you know if the bumper would work well (i.e. fasten securely to the phone and do a job at protecting the edges) by itself, if you didn't bother attaching the back bit?
    No sorry you need the back bit to hold the bumper part onto the phone.. Like it sits into it snugly but it would fall out with a touch I would say... The cover came before the phone itself so it went on from day 1 so not sure about the slippery question.. I would say itd be slippery enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I was looking at this phone:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Lenovo-K5-Note-MTK-Helio-P10-Octa-Core-Fingerprint-ID-Full-Metal-LTE-4G-2G/32602298626.html

If it comes with a chinese rom (OTA updates locked), is it still possible to flash an international rom that will allow this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Got this cover for Redmi Note 4 from Amazon. Very snug fit and good feel to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LZVCQ8W/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

gline wrote: »
    I was looking at this phone:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Lenovo-K5-Note-MTK-Helio-P10-Octa-Core-Fingerprint-ID-Full-Metal-LTE-4G-2G/32602298626.html

If it comes with a chinese rom (OTA updates locked), is it still possible to flash an international rom that will allow this?

Seriously bloated phone. Don't know if there is much ROM support.

For a phone with same specs and bigger battery look at the UMi Super or Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Kilboor wrote: »
    Seriously bloated phone. Don't know if there is much ROM support.

For a phone with same specs and bigger battery look at the UMi Super or Max.

What about the Lenovo Zuk Z2? I saw a few threads on xda-developers.com saying there is good rom support for it, also the reviews look positive.

Anyone have experience with buying from to2c.com ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Xiaomi Mi Max 3gb 32 international edition is only 165€ on Geekbuying (but you might get caught for tax). Seems like a Redmi Note 3 with a massive screen.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/International-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3GB-64GB-Smartphone---Silver-369768.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Xiaomi Mi Max 3gb 32 international edition is only 165€ on Geekbuying (but you might get caught for tax). Seems like a Redmi Note 3 with a massive screen.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/International-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3GB-64GB-Smartphone---Silver-369768.html

i think it has gorilla glass 4 too
    ,good value for 165 if you get it through customs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

MrDiyFan wrote: »
    i think it has gorilla glass 4 too
    ,good value for 165 if you get it through customs

Just ordered it for the laugh, will see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Just ordered it for the laugh, will see what happens

Let us know how ya get on, I read in another thread people had issues with that site

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

I think i might pull the trigger on the redmi note 4. Has anyone that owns the phone found any major bugs with it so far? People said that they found it very difficult to connect to 4g on the note 3, has that improved with the note 4?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

ita not an issue of trouble connecting, its not having band 20 which can be the issue.

It doesnt cover all the bands we use here, like most Xiaomi phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

RossieMan wrote: »
    ita not an issue of trouble connecting, its not having band 20 which can be the issue.

It doesnt cover all the bands we use here, like most Xiaomi phones.

I just bought the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Rossie, I have a phone with band 20 and never get 4g only ever get H+, am I right in saying that the band 20 is only an issue if you live in urban areas, I live outside dublin so I bought the phone with the thought that I'll only ever get h+ here anyway. Was I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Lads, I bought the xiaomi phone from geekbuying and now, the tracking says:

Arrived at PostNL – Item not allowed (X-ray) and rejected

Anyone had this happen to them?
    I am assuming it is going back to geekbuying and I will get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Got this cover for Redmi Note 4 from Amazon. Very snug fit and good feel to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LZVCQ8W/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have that cover for my note 3 and it's excellent. Nice and slim but perfectly designed to fit the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

I just bought the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Rossie, I have a phone with band 20 and never get 4g only ever get H+, am I right in saying that the band 20 is only an issue if you live in urban areas, I live outside dublin so I bought the phone with the thought that I'll only ever get h+ here anyway. Was I correct?

On the contrary band 3 is mostly used in urban areas whilst band 20 is mostly used for rural areas due to the fact it has a longer range and better penetrative value. O was annoyed when I got a one plusone few years back and want able to get 4g where I live rurally due to no band 20 but now with lycamobile and more than happy with h+ on my note 3 as they don't do 4g anyway and h+ is more than adequate with average 12 mb/s perfect for majority of things

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

wowsers a lot of advice here.. think i am settled on a xaomi mi4c for the misses.. 2g/16g version. i presume there is some auto backup app available for photos to keep the storage clear...as no sd slots..
    is there anything else i should consider. also think i will go aliexpress goldway or top one. or mc mart ( anyone used this crowd ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Presumably, funny it got caught like that, never seen it before. Contact Geekbuying asap about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

wowsers a lot of advice here.. think i am settled on a xaomi mi4c for the misses.. 2g/16g version. i presume there is some auto backup app available for photos to keep the storage clear...as no sd slots..
    is there anything else i should consider. also think i will go aliexpress goldway or top one. or mc mart ( anyone used this crowd ?)

Google Photos. You have to launch the app and you'll be prompted do you want to put on auto backup

Presumably, funny it got caught like that, never seen it before. Contact Geekbuying asap about it

Already did. Waiting for a reply now.

double post. sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Already did. Waiting for a reply now.

Google that message. Seems to be common occurrence in The Netherlands since the Paris attacks. Anything containing batteries gets rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I don't understand this, why was it rejected? Was there a bomb in it??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kilboor wrote: »
    I don't understand this, why was it rejected? Was there a bomb in it??

Lithium Ion battery and airplanes are NOT friends. AP for example blanket ban them, sounds like PostNL weren't Xraying items before but are now and are thus catching them.

Couriers will take them when declared and paid for.

Depending on how effective PNL become we might see everyone start going the DHL/UPS route.

the strange things is that it got rejected entering ireland, not the netherlands.
    I will keep you posted if anyone is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

I noticed a fone I bought from hk Goldway came with battery fitted, ready to switch on.
    I don't think they should be shipping them like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Does anyone have any recommendations for what headphones work well with the Xiaomi mi5?? the sound output is quite low on my current headphones (cant remember the model but they are from Sony :rolleyes:) and even though they're noise cancelling the sound is so low i can barely hear it over the noise outside

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Thinking of pulling the trigger and getting the Mi Note 2 for 485 Euro on Aliexpress. Pretty good deal imo for a curved display and SD821.

Does anyone know how much VAT will be approx with DHL express shipping? It is my first time importing from China and Im guestimating about 120-150 Euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

Jlayay wrote: »
    Thinking of pulling the trigger and getting the Mi Note 2 for 485 Euro on Aliexpress. Pretty good deal imo for a curved display and SD821.

Does anyone know how much VAT will be approx with DHL express shipping? It is my first time importing from China and Im guestimating about 120-150 Euro?

Pay more from reputable sellers "Top One" or "Goldway" and avoid VAT by "DHL EU Express" or "Sellers Shipping Method" respectively from the sellers.

The above sellers are also know not to put vendor roms on there devices.

Also check for 11/11 prices, see if they are due to lower the price for then. Also a "AliExpress Select Coupon" will be valid on that date, if you have collected some on the site/app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Anyone know why my Chinese phone (UMI) loses 802.11 wi-fi every now and again, well what it does is says my SSID is 'saved' and when I go to connect, it says connecting but instead of connected it goes to 'saved'
    a quick fix/workaround is I turn the airplane mode on , wait a few seconds and then turn off airplane mode and then after a while wi-fi will connect fine, but why does it keep doing this? and is this just a quirk of chinese android phones, only I dont think it done it on my previous samsung phones I had?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Ryback

Jlayay wrote: »

Was checking this phone out myself, oppomart.com have them available from 430 euro. They have an EU warehouse for some phones, might be worth checking with then if this will be an option for the note 2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement