Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Hi... can someone here recommend a decent spec phone for under 200e. Must have removable battery. Coming from Lenovo k3 note. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Anyone know why my Chinese phone (UMI) loses 802.11 wi-fi every now and again, well what it does is says my SSID is 'saved' and when I go to connect, it says connecting but instead of connected it goes to 'saved'
    a quick fix/workaround is I turn the airplane mode on , wait a few seconds and then turn off airplane mode and then after a while wi-fi will connect fine, but why does it keep doing this? and is this just a quirk of chinese android phones, only I dont think it done it on my previous samsung phones I had?

Mine does too....I thought it was my router :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

peaceboi wrote: »
    Hi... can someone here recommend a decent spec phone for under 200e. Must have removable battery. Coming from Lenovo k3 note. Thanks
    I know it doesnt have removable battery (a very large one), but the zuk z2 is going for ~$200, it has very good specs for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone know why my Chinese phone (UMI) loses 802.11 wi-fi every now and again, well what it does is says my SSID is 'saved' and when I go to connect, it says connecting but instead of connected it goes to 'saved'
    a quick fix/workaround is I turn the airplane mode on , wait a few seconds and then turn off airplane mode and then after a while wi-fi will connect fine, but why does it keep doing this? and is this just a quirk of chinese android phones, only I dont think it done it on my previous samsung phones I had?
    Mine does too....I thought it was my router :eek:
    My Oneplus does this with some routers, have to use the airplane mode fix. I was in Paris recently trying to get by on public wi-fi only and it was very annoying.

Id nearly swear it was something to do with modern router protocols, it seemed to be a lot simpler hopping between different wifis a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Just noticed today after reading these posts the last few days, my xiaomi redmi note 4 gets 4G on and off! I actually had 4G+ today I don't even know what that is haha #notatechie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

mcgiggles wrote: »
    Just noticed today after reading these posts the last few days, my xiaomi redmi note 4 gets 4G on and off! I actually had 4G+ today I don't even know what that is haha #notatechie

What provider are you with Mcgiggles?

Just put the phone into "will my phone work.net" and it says it "may" work on 4g on band 3 on all major networks.. So you are living proof it actually does, this is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just put the phone into "will my phone work.net" and it says it "may" work on 4g on band 3 on all major networks.. So you are living proof it actually does, this is great news.

It was never a question of if it would work, just where. Those "may" phones only work in a portion of the 4G coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Anyone here have the Xiaomi Mi 5? If so what are your opinions of it? Thinking about getting it for the missus. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Patrick Derrymore

Can someone tell me is there huge difference between say Xiaomi Redmi 3s and Xiaomi Mi note 2 whats best website to compare these two phones for instance ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Can someone tell me is there huge difference between say Xiaomi Redmi 3s and Xiaomi Mi note 2 whats best website to compare these two phones for instance ?

Kimovil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

A comparison of three phones including 3s Prime.

xcellent thanks for tip

thanks a mill for link

I see Kimovil is good for comparing prices as well looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

What provider are you with Mcgiggles?
    I'm with 3!

I'm with 3!

I am with Three as well and using Xiaomi Redmi 3s and get H+ most of the time and live 10 kms from town in middle of Ring Of Kerry .
    Using speedtest I get 600k/s on H+ when cells are quiet when busy notice it goes down to about 100k/s thats after 2 months using phone no real issues vendor rom has caused some slight bugs with google play store and gmail but for time been am using maildroid to download gmail and works perfect.

When I go to Tralee I get 4g full access around Lidl and also around Castlemaine notice there are masts on hill overlooking Castlemaine /Milltown probably because companies based there putting squeeze on !
    Also sms messaging database seems corrupted or services stopped but when I reboot phone into lite mode messaging opens up perfect .
    I'm holding off flashing rom to MIUI 8 for work reasons will post results.

I also got word back from Xiaomi after requesting to unlock the bootloader and wlll do that in the coming days.
    All of the instructions on the official miui forum are bang on once you follow all the instructions I don't envisage any issues.

The most important thing you need is a 64 bit operating system ( Windows 7 seems to be industry preferred for this range of phones )to flash Redmi 3s phone safely people have reported problems when working with 32 bit and getting qualcomm driver to load correctly.

Anyone know what app is best to show bands 4g phone is using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Long time lurker here. Like others, I am looking to pick up a decent phone for less than €150-€200 for my wife. Do Xiaomi for example do smaller 5" screens? They all seem to be 5.4"/5.5" which she thinks might be too big for her small hands! any links to sellers appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Mi4i or this.

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Long time lurker here. Like others, I am looking to pick up a decent phone for less than €150-€200 for my wife. Do Xiaomi for example do smaller 5" screens? They all seem to be 5.4"/5.5" which she thinks might be too big for her small hands! any links to sellers appreciated.

Hi CoDy1 Xiaomi Redmi 3s is a 5 inch screen pm'd ya link there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

90sBla wrote: »
    360 N4 got announced today. Specs:

4gb RAM,
    x20 soc
    Sony imx 258
    32gb memory
    micro sd
    dual sim
    3080mah battery
    finger print sensor
    5.5 inch screen but the dimensions are not as large as other 5.5 phones so may fit better in the hand
    Android Marshmallow
    Fully charged in 90 mins or 10 mins gives 3 hours social media - take that as you will

188 euro inc delivery, shipping from EU no customs etc. Via giztop

Hi,
    Anyone have any opinions or used this phone please? review here and looks excellent.

Also, someone commented above saying-
    Frustrating about the lack band 20 (800MHz), makes it less than ideal for UK/Europe.
    What does that mean in layman's terms please?

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi again,
    There's about a million Chinese android phones out there, talk about analysis-paralysis!
    Basically I'm looking for a good 5.5" phone with good camera for up to €200 and up to €300.
    Unfortunately the OnePlus 3 is out of my price range.
    The Moto G4 Plus, Redmi Pro are some options (and about a million Chinese ones) but would like some opinions please.

Thanks,
    Patrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi again,
    There's about a million Chinese android phones out there, talk about analysis-paralysis!
    Basically I'm looking for a good 5.5" phone with good camera for up to €200 and up to €300.
    Unfortunately the OnePlus 3 is out of my price range.
    The Moto G4 Plus, Redmi Pro are some options (and about a million Chinese ones) but would like some opinions please.

Thanks,
    Patrick.

Put the price and camera into kimovil and see what comes up

My xiaomi redmI note 4 64gb arrived today, very fast delivery. Only ordered last Thursday.

Don't want to do too much with it as it's for my daughter and I know she'll like to set it up herself but one question, when I turned it on it asked to select language which I did, English UK and then it asked for locale but didn't have a selection for ireland or even the UK so I just chose Spain as nearest, does it matter? Or do I have a problem? I switched it off after that.

Edit: seems to be a common problem, I've searched through Google and someone suggsets downloading More Locale 2 from the playstore so maybe this is away around it. I may have to set it up for after all, I don't want her having any problems on Christmas morning.

Lovely phone, feels and looks great. I'll give a better summary soon.

My xiaomi redmI note 4 64gb arrived today, very fast delivery. Only ordered last Thursday.

Don't want to do too much with it as it's for my daughter and I know she'll like to set it up herself but one question, when I turned it on it asked to select language which I did, English UK and then it asked for locale but didn't have a selection for ireland or even the UK so I just chose Spain as nearest, does it matter? Or do I have a problem? I switched it off after that.

Edit: seems to be a common problem, I've searched through Google and someone suggsets downloading More Locale 2 from the playstore so maybe this is away around it. I may have to set it up for after all, I don't want her having any problems on Christmas morning.

Lovely phone, feels and looks great. I'll give a better summary soon.

What site did you order from?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

Sono wrote:
    Anyone here have the Xiaomi Mi 5? If so what are your opinions of it? Thinking about getting it for the missus. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Have a Mi5 for about 2 months now and loving it. Great camera, very snappy phone, fingerprint scanner is like lightning if that matters to you, Build quality feels amazing the all glass feels really good in hand overall I'm very happy with it

Have a Mi5 for about 2 months now and loving it. Great camera, very snappy phone, fingerprint scanner is like lightning if that matters to you, Build quality feels amazing the all glass feels really good in hand overall I'm very happy with it

Thanks for the reply Eoin, what site did you buy from? Did it come with the play store on it? Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭eoinpower02

No problem got it from everbuying came with the global rom and play store pre-installed

Sono wrote: »
    What site did you order from?

Got it from Top line with AliExpress Sono

Sorry Top One, jebus, that's the second time I got that name wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Anyone know what app is best to show bands 4g phone is using ?

Try this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en

Have to say I loaded it on my Note 3 pro, but not understanding it fully

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement