Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

My Redmi note 4 has landed. Love it.

One issue though I want to install Cortana on it and the locale doesn't have US.. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Kamili wrote: »
    My Redmi note 4 has landed. Love it.

One issue though I want to install Cortana on it and the locale doesn't have US.. Any ideas?

Maybe 'More Local 2', below is from a post a few above yours-

Don't want to do too much with it as it's for my daughter and I know she'll like to set it up herself but one question, when I turned it on it asked to select language which I did, English UK and then it asked for locale but didn't have a selection for ireland or even the UK so I just chose Spain as nearest, does it matter? Or do I have a problem? I switched it off after that.

Edit: seems to be a common problem, I've searched through Google and someone suggsets downloading More Locale 2 from the playstore so maybe this is away around it. I may have to set it up for after all, I don't want her having any problems on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Is there anywhere in Dublin (bricks and mortar stores) selling Chinese Smartphones at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

dinneenp wrote: »
    Maybe 'More Local 2', below is from a post a few above yours-

Don't want to do too much with it as it's for my daughter and I know she'll like to set it up herself but one question, when I turned it on it asked to select language which I did, English UK and then it asked for locale but didn't have a selection for ireland or even the UK so I just chose Spain as nearest, does it matter? Or do I have a problem? I switched it off after that.

Edit: seems to be a common problem, I've searched through Google and someone suggsets downloading More Locale 2 from the playstore so maybe this is away around it. I may have to set it up for after all, I don't want her having any problems on Christmas morning.

D'oh, missed that thanks for that. I'll give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Dublin (bricks and mortar stores) selling Chinese Smartphones at all?

Mobile Care in Stephen Green Shopping Centre and Fone Fixer in Ilac sell Xiaomi phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mobile Care in Stephen Green Shopping Centre and Fone Fixer in Ilac sell Xiaomi phones

Brilliant! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Brilliant! Thank you

You'll be paying "Irish" prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

You'll be paying "Irish" prices though.

How much is the mi4c I'd like to see their mark up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Really tempted to try out a Chinese phone. Like most, don't fancy spending too much due to lack of decent warranty and surely spending as little as possible is the point of getting one from China. Having a decent camera seems to be the downfall of most, but I do like the look of these and there is some sale on price too.

Cubot Cheetah 2 for € 125.99.

Xiaomi Mi5 for € 251.99.

Elephone S7 mini for € 134.99.

Elephone S7 for € 179.99

Never heard of everbuying so no idea if they are reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

wozza wrote: »
    Try this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wilysis.cellinfolite&hl=en

Have to say I loaded it on my Note 3 pro, but not understanding it fully

I can't find on this what band of 4G the phone is using.
    I'm guessing Band 20 as I'm in a very rural area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

So much choice. I see on oppomart http://www.oppomart.com/xiaomi-mi5.html its $330 for 64gb in black delivered from eu warehouse so no VAT. A lot more than Id like to spend but its a beauty of a phone. A €100 more and could get OnePlus 3. You could keep on going...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭halfforward

My xiaomi redmI note 4 64gb arrived today, very fast delivery. Only ordered last Thursday.

Lovely phone, feels and looks great. I'll give a better summary soon.

Have mine about 3 weeks now very happy so far. I also just choose Spain, it doesn't make any difference to the setup or the use, it works like any phone setup with Ireland as the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Danger781 wrote: »
    Mine departed from China on the 17th and there hasn't been an update since :(

My Umi Plus has landed in Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

How much is the mi4c I'd like to see their mark up

Have a look on adverts to see the difference in prices between Chinese retailers and "shops" on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Got an email from Geekbuying this morning (thats where I bought my Redmi Note4 which I love!) The Xiaomi Redmi 4 Pro 64GB is on sale for the same price I paid for the Note 4 16GB one! 158ish before shipping! They have great deals on everything this week!

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-4-Pro-3GB-32GB-Smartphone---Black-373908.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I ordered something from them a week ago and they won't ship it until towards the end of next week (and even then they are shipping from Shenzen to Hong Kong first).

Avoid them if you are in too much of a rush

I ordered something from them a week ago and they won't ship it until towards the end of next week (and even then they are shipping from Shenzen to Hong Kong first).

Avoid them if you are in too much of a rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Can anyone point me to a relatively easy to follow guide to flashing my redmi note 4 with a global rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

Hi all,

I was just wondering that if i choose the sellers shipping method with goldway on aliexpress will i definitely have no chance of being caught with customs. Also how long approximately do goldway take to deliver their goods?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Is it any good i have one on the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Is it any good i have one on the way

Anyone expecting any deals tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I have a Redmi Note4 and am hoping someone can help me out.
    There has been for the last few days, a near constant banner add for Amazon at the top of the screen.
    Anyone any ideas about how to remove it.
    I've tried a couple of add blockers, but hasn't worked.
    Its really starting to annoy me now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

I have a Redmi Note4 and am hoping someone can help me out.
    There has been for the last few days, a near constant banner add for Amazon at the top of the screen.
    Anyone any ideas about how to remove it.
    I've tried a couple of add blockers, but hasn't worked.
    Its really starting to annoy me now

What is your MIUI Version?

Report what you find here: - Settings - About Phone - MIUI Version

Chance you may have a vendor rom. Or you installed some adware app.

If your rooted Adaway has an option to scan your device for Adware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

BannerBoy1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just wondering that if i choose the sellers shipping method with goldway on aliexpress will i definitely have no chance of being caught with customs. Also how long approximately do goldway take to deliver their goods?

Thanks.
    I've used it no problem (about 8-10 days), but I thought they had stopped EU express option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

corkie wrote: »

I think I got rid of vendor adware with cm security but I'm not certain. I tried a good few apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

MrDiyFan wrote: »
    I think I got rid of vendor adware with cm security but I'm not certain. I tried a good few apps.

The only sure way of getting rid of vendor rom is to wipe the phone by flashing an official rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone expecting any deals tomorrow?

Is the LeEco is on discount will probably get one.

Thanks for the replies.

MIUI 8 Global 8.0.1/ Stable.

It only started maybe a week or ten days ago and I have the phone several weeks now. I deleted as many apps ( don't have many) as I could think of, but its still popping up. There is also an occasional Google Play ads, but I've never clicked on any of them.

I wouldn't be much of a techie, but if there's an idiots guide to flashing the phone, or installing some alternative firmware, I'd give it a go.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

MIUI 8 Global 8.0.1/ Stable.

It only started maybe a week or ten days ago and I have the phone several weeks now. I deleted as many apps ( don't have many) as I could think of, but its still popping. There is also an occasional Google Play as, but I've never clicked on any of them.

I wouldn't be much of a techie, but if there's an idiots guide to flashing the phone, or installing some alternative firmware, I'd give it a go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement