Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Sono

Guys before I buy this mi5 can someone reassure me that if I buy it that it will be ready to throw a sim in with no issues? It's for my missus and she is not techy and I couldn't be arsed with the hassle! Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

be in no rush this 11.11 is rubbish. cant see any major price changes from the prices last week,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

be in no rush this 11.11 is rubbish. cant see any major price changes from the prices last week,

What's the quickest way to locate phone bargains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

I ordered something from them a week ago and they won't ship it until towards the end of next week (and even then they are shipping from Shenzen to Hong Kong first).

Avoid them if you are in too much of a rush
    Yeah I wasn't in a hurry with mine, opted for free shipping, it took the guts of a month but no issues with customs - it did take longer to get from Dublin to Sligo than it did to get from its origin to Dublin though haha

corkie wrote: »
    I have a Redmi Note4 and am hoping someone can help me out.
    There has been for the last few days, a near constant banner add for Amazon at the top of the screen.
    Anyone any ideas about how to remove it.
    I've tried a couple of add blockers, but hasn't worked.
    Its really starting to annoy me now

What is your MIUI Version?

Report what you find here: - Settings - About Phone - MIUI Version

Chance you may have a vendor rom. Or you installed some adware app.

If your rooted Adaway has an option to scan your device for Adware.
    My Redmi note 4 is working fine but sometimes banners pop up in Chinese.. I think mine might have a vendor rom as reading some of the sites to distinguish between original and vendor roms it says original roms only have 3 decimals and mine has 4 - MIUI 8.0 Global / Stable / 8.0.5.0.0(MBFCNDG).. Would I be better off flashing a new rom onto it? what are the advantages of it? (Not a techie at all so would appreciate the ladybird version if possible ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Is the redmi note 3 pro prime global version shipped with dhl for 155 a good buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

nope, you'll be stung for customs with DHL so be careful, adds a nice bit on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Using kimovil I did I filter for android 6.0, FHD screen, between 5-5.6 inches, has OIS for camera.

The best option here is the LeEco LE TV 2. Beauty of a phone but big premium on silver colour and the gold/rose-gold aren't my thing. And no headphone jack. Cheapest is 203 though EU warehouse. While looking for that I found the Letv Cool 1 Dual Leeco Coolpad which is another beauty. Has a much bigger battery, headphone jack but no OIS. Cheapest I found in silver was 150 from seller saying customs is paid.

I keep changing my mind on which phone I want. Head is melted.

RossieMan wrote: »
    nope, you'll be stung for customs with DHL so be careful, adds a nice bit on top of that.

How much am I looking at? I went with it after. One seller was saying customs paid for but was looking at 190 with dhl so would it be same difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

yea it'll be around that too, a tad over 200 i'd estimate with the DHL charge.

• Advertisement

Thanks. That wont be too bad 200 was the budget. Its for a Xmas present so at least with the dhl I should have it early December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

mcgiggles wrote: »
    My Redmi note 4 is working fine but sometimes banners pop up in Chinese.. I think mine might have a vendor rom as reading some of the sites to distinguish between original and vendor roms it says original roms only have 3 decimals and mine has 4 - MIUI 8.0 Global / Stable / 8.0.5.0.0(MBFCNDG).. Would I be better off flashing a new rom onto it? what are the advantages of it? (Not a techie at all so would appreciate the ladybird version if possible ;))

I have the exact same ROM and same issue. Also looking for some help to flash it if anyone knows a good guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Thanks. That wont be too bad 200 was the budget. Its for a Xmas present so at least with the dhl I should have it early December.

You should have it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Anyone know what the best current option including LTE band 20 is at the moment? I'm in Wexford on Vodafone and rely on the 4g a lot. Looking for around a five inch screen and a decent battery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks for the replies.

MIUI 8 Global 8.0.1/ Stable.

Not to sure about the above version, usually there is a four digit number. See below.
    mcgiggles wrote: »

That is definitely a vendor rom.

See the Xiaomi Reddit Wiki for flashing instructions.

^^ Thank you for confirmation!! Had thought that alright! will read up on that reddit thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

Anyone know what the best current option including LTE band 20 is at the moment? I'm in Wexford on Vodafone and rely on the 4g a lot. Looking for around a five inch screen and a decent battery
    The lenovo zuk z2 pro supports lte band 20 and has a 5.2 inch screen with a decent battery (3100mAh) and is a very good all round phone but if your looking for a cheap phone its maybe not the best option as it costs around 400 euro.

It's a bit of a pain as the black xiaomi mi 5 64GB version is out of stock with both top one and goldway on aliexpress which were the two sites i was looking at to purchase the phone, so i was just wondering what's the most reliable place to purchase phones other than the two options above, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

BannerBoy1 wrote: »
    It's a bit of a pain as the black xiaomi mi 5 64GB version is out of stock with both top one and goldway on aliexpress which were the two sites i was looking at to purchase the phone, so i was just wondering what's the most reliable place to purchase phones other than the two options above, thanks.

http://www.oppomart.com/xiaomi-mi5.html

$330 delivered with customs included

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Is it any good i have one on the way

No idea yet. It has been held by customs. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Sale total bluff .. its either out of stock in or not included in the sale. Else price risen for the sale...

Anyone point out a real genuine xaomi sale offer post a link. I'd be de delighted

bazwaldo wrote: »
    http://www.oppomart.com/xiaomi-mi5.html

$330 delivered with customs included

cheers for that. That's fairly cheap compared to the other sites. Although i was reading through oppomarts reviews and quite a few people weren't very satisfied with them. Has anybody here had any past experience with them?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No site will have nothing but shining reviews, if they do, fake reviews. You kinda have to weigh up the negatives of each and try sift through the fake positives.

In Digis Daily Whine, it took 7 days for my phone to be processed and shipped to NL, processed and shipped again, and now 15 days later it hasn't been processed by An Post apparently.

If using freepost, just forget about whatever you've ordered until it arrives, waiting and tracking is just heartbreaking

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

Thanks for the replies.

MIUI 8 Global 8.0.1/ Stable.

It only started maybe a week or ten days ago and I have the phone several weeks now. I deleted as many apps ( don't have many) as I could think of, but its still popping up. There is also an occasional Google Play ads, but I've never clicked on any of them.

I wouldn't be much of a techie, but if there's an idiots guide to flashing the phone, or installing some alternative firmware, I'd give it a go.

Just had an update OTA on my Redmi note 3 pro now running MIUI8.0 Stable 8.0.6.0(LHOMIDG)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

BannerBoy1 wrote:
    cheers for that. That's fairly cheap compared to the other sites. Although i was reading through oppomarts reviews and quite a few people weren't very satisfied with them. Has anybody here had any past experience with them? thanks

I got my redmi 3 pro from oppomart as I was able to pay by PayPal. All went smooth delivery took 12 working days along with weekends so 16 days altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Danger781 wrote: »
    No idea yet. It has been held by customs. :(
    why are they holding it? hope mine gets through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I was looking at a sim plan for the Xiaomi I bought and lyca mobile seems good value at €15 per month for unlimited National calls and texts and 30gb data.
    I'm assuming national means landline and mobile calls within Republic of Ireland?
    Also anyone any problems with coverage from lyca, or indeed any problems at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

I was looking at a sim plan for the Xiaomi I bought and lyca mobile seems good value at €15 per month for unlimited National calls and texts and 30gb data.
    I'm assuming national means landline and mobile calls within Republic of Ireland?
    Also anyone any problems with coverage from lyca, or indeed any problems at all?

Using lycamobile here on my redmi note 3 and is working excellent. Coverage brilliant compared to meteor who I used before but network change coincided with me getting this phone so not sure which has dramatically improved my phone reception. Coverage works anywhere in Ireland I have been and seamlessly changes to 3g/h+ whenever I am near a tower that supports it.
    I personally now use the 9€ deal which is 450 minutes and 450 texts as you get massive data at min just for topping up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

I've been looking at this thread over the last few days and people seem to be having problems with the software on their phones eg pop ups, chinese characters etc. I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth the hassle with these phones with the little or no customers service that you're bound to have. I'm getting my daughter a phone for christmas and am wondering would I be better off going with the usual providers here in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

why are they holding it? hope mine gets through

Don't know. They are looking for a receipt / advertisement print out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement