Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BannerBoy1

Was going to purchase the xiaomi mi5 from top one aliexpress last night but i was tired and said i'll just do it tomorrow and actually said to myself the price will hardly change, and then it goes up by 20 euro over night:(.

Does anyone know how often the price changes on aliexpress?
    thanks

BannerBoy1 wrote: »
    Was going to purchase the xiaomi mi5 from top one aliexpress last night but i was tired and said i'll just do it tomorrow and actually said to myself the price will hardly change, and then it goes up by 20 euro over night:(.

Does anyone know how often the price changes on aliexpress?
    thanks
    Wow i really am an idiot i was looking at its price in dollars sorry about that:D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

RossieMan wrote: »
    same as.

no matter what ROM i try, 2 hours is the maximum SOT i get.

it is a knew problem with redmi note 2, I think something about calibration.
    they haven't care about it..there are loads of ticket opened in the official forum, but they just don't reply...

it seems redmi note 3 has the same issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    What's the battery like on the redmi note 3 pro??? Will it be useable out of box?? Its the global version... It has been shipped now by dhl...

Depends on where you purchased, chances are you may have gotten from an unreliable seller that puts vendor roms on it. If that is the case, flashing an official rom might be required to get rid of adware/spyware.

Global Version could also mean special edition version "Kate" instead of "Kenzo".

Telling the Redmi Note 3 Pro and Special Edition apart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

corkie wrote: »
    Depends on where you purchased, chances are you may have gotten from an unreliable seller that puts vendor roms on it. If that is the case, flashing an official rom might be required to get rid of adware/spyware.

Global Version could also mean special edition version "Kate" instead of "Kenzo".

Telling the Redmi Note 3 Pro and Special Edition apart

It's meant to be the 152mm model that I'm getting. Have to wait and see what comes. It's coming from the Xiaomi Online Store on aliexpress. It'll be a huge upgrade from my doogee x5 pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 irish_investr

Hi
    Wonder if anybody has flashed chinese ColorOS on other phones? I'm thinking of putting it on a ZTE Nubia Z11 Mini.

Previously put ColorOS on a Galaxy Note 2, worked fine, but that was 4 yrs ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Any opinions on the Vernee Mars, currently around €200 and looks good

It's meant to be the 152mm model that I'm getting. Have to wait and see what comes. It's coming from the Xiaomi Online Store on aliexpress. It'll be a huge upgrade from my doogee x5 pro.

That is the "Kate" Version.

Bad news is that there is no official xiaomi store on aliexpress, even though some sellers have claimed to be.

You risk the chance of a vendor rom, unless they stated that it will have a global rom with OTA updates.

Also you maybe caught for VAT when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

So will I have to put that on or is it ota?

No that will be on it when you get it and updates itself over time ota

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wozza

What's the battery like on the redmi note 3 pro??? Will it be useable out of box?? Its the global version... It has been shipped now by dhl...

Have the same model, and Im not a heavy user and don't leave apps running in background to get latest status updates etc, and I can get 2 days easy on mine with around 20% left.

I bought it second hand and is the best phone I ever bought, will definitely buy another xiaomi when I upgrade in future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 jonathondoe

Just took delivery of Redmi note pro today. First impression are great. Old phone was dying a death but regardless the pro is a nice piece of kit. First Chinese phone but on first impression won't be the last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

http://pocketnow.com/2016/11/15/blu-phones-sent-data-to-chinese-servers is scaring me a bit. BLU are blaming 3rd party firmware, but that firmware is used on many Chinese phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Is it not a case of pretty much every app you use now has access to nearly everything? Your phone knows you better than you know yourself!!! All the companies are collecting data I'd imagine legit or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is it not a case of pretty much every app you use now has access to nearly everything? Your phone knows you better than you know yourself!!! All the companies are collecting data I'd imagine legit or not...

Id tend to agree with that. There is all sorts of scare mongering. This latest one is heightened because of the fact its the Chinese govt yet nobody bats an eyelid handing over info etc to the US corporations.
    Its that old chestnut of who reads every single line of terms and conditions. Once you sign in and accept this be it on a phone, PC / Mac your info is being analysed and churned around the place quicker than you know.

The issue is what they do with your info or if they pass on the data to someone who will do something with it. You wouldn't want your credit card details and passwords in the wrong hands. But with a Chinese phone, is it any more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Have a Mi4 stopped by customs but haven;t got the letter yet as it's at my parents house. Whats the procedure to get the duty paid. Phone was $120 so shouldn't be much. Should have just ponied up for the DHL no customs option but thought it was worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

aaronm13 wrote:
    Have a Mi4 stopped by customs but haven;t got the letter yet as it's at my parents house. Whats the procedure to get the duty paid. Phone was $120 so shouldn't be much. Should have just ponied up for the DHL no customs option but thought it was worth a shot.

If it's being delivered by an post just pay the postie, the letter may be looking for a receipt for the phone to decide what you have to pay.

I'm torn between these LeEcos.

Leeco Coolpad Cool1 Grey 3GB 32GB €154.82 delivered thru EU.
    Pros: Bigger Battery, cheaper, headphone jack
    Cons: Poor ROM support, no 4G 800Mhz, camera no OIS

Leeco LE 2 Grey 3GB 32GB International Version €190.09 delivered from EU.
    Pros: Decent ROM support, 4G
    Cons: No headphone jack

LeEco MAX 2 Grey 4GB 32GB €233.11 delivered thru EU.
    Pros: OK ROM support, screen res, 4G, fast processor

LeEco MAX 2 Gold 4GB 64GB €297.56 delivered thru EU.
    Pros: OK ROM support, screen, 64GB, screen res, 4G, fast processor
    Cons: No headphone jack, pricey compared, its gold coloured

Camera probably best on the MAX 2. Not sure about the Cool1 vs LE 2. Cool1 has dual rear cameras with no OIS and LE 2 has higher MP.

Found a user group for ROMs on http://www.letv.re/forum/5-leeco-devices/.

I'd say after 6-12 months I'd be itching for next version of OS and this is where the Cool1 might fall short as other will likely have better choice of ROMs.

Is there anything else I should put into the equation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

bazwaldo wrote: »
    I'm torn between these LeEcos.

Leeco Coolpad Cool1 Grey 3GB 32GB €154.82 delivered thru EU.
    Pros: Bigger Battery, cheaper, headphone jack
    Cons: Poor ROM support, no 4G 800Mhz, camera no OIS

Leeco LE 2 Grey 3GB 32GB International Version €190.09 delivered from EU.
    Pros: Decent ROM support, 4G

LeEco MAX 2 Grey 4GB 32GB €233.11 delivered thru EU.
    Pros: OK ROM support, screen res, 4G, fast processor

LeEco MAX 2 Gold 4GB 64GB €297.56 delivered thru EU.
    Pros: OK ROM support, screen, 64GB, screen res, 4G, fast processor
    Cons: No headphone jack, pricey compared, its gold coloured

Camera probably best on the MAX 2. Not sure about the Cool1 vs LE 2. Cool1 has dual rear cameras with no OIS and LE 2 has higher MP.

Found a user group for ROMs on http://www.letv.re/forum/5-leeco-devices/.

I'd say after 6-12 months I'd be itching for next version of OS and this is where the Cool1 might fall short as other will likely have better choice of ROMs.

Is there anything else I should put into the equation?

No headphone jack would be putting me off, so that is nearly all of them.

eamonnq wrote: »
    No headphone jack would be putting me off, so that is nearly all of them.

They come with a small dongle to connect the USB C to headphone. Its not a deal breaker. I only ever use the headphones jack connecting it to the car stereo. So a small hassle.

• Advertisement

bazwaldo wrote: »
    They come with a small dongle to connect the USB C to headphone. Its not a deal breaker. I only ever use the headphones jack connecting it to the car stereo. So a small hassle.

Don't use headphones much myself either, but if the young fella wants to watch youtube or play games, I know I won't find that USB dongle thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The quality of bluetooth earphones and cans you can get now, the lack of the jack isnt a worry. Buy 5 adapters for a dollar each and shove one in the car, one in you bags, one in your wallet etc. You'll never be stuck.

ED E wrote: »
    The quality of bluetooth earphones and cans you can get now, the lack of the jack isnt a worry. Buy 5 adapters for a dollar each and shove one in the car, one in you bags, one in your wallet etc. You'll never be stuck.

Out of battery. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

My sis needs a phone for 100 anyone selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Go to adverts

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Go to adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/search/user-925487/status_active/type_all

Bound to be a bargain on adverts alright!!!

Firstly sorry for all the questions i've been asking but this is my first time ordering a phone from china.

Anyway, I've still have a few more questions before i pull the trigger on the xiaomi mi5.

Now hopefully i haven't got too confused and my questions actually make sense:D. So the person who i'll be buying the phone from (top one) can install a custom rom into my phone. Now i've read that a custom rom can have lots of advantages when done right. (which i presume it would be from a reputable seller) But then that'll mean that i can't get any OTA updates. Will it be worth it if i can't get any OTA updates? For instance will miui 7 - miui 8 even make that much of a noticeable difference?

Also if my phone was updated to miui 8 and then i got a custom rom, i presume the phone will move back down to miui 7 because the device will have been rooted?

Now I think it might be best to root my device and also get a custom rom, but i'm not used to this kind of stuff and i'm not 100% sure what to do.

thanks very much for any feedback:)

(on a side note would anybody be able to recommend a good cover that's comfortable in the hand for the xiaomi mi5, thanks again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Does anyone know if the Xiaomi Mi Mix can be used in Europe? Has it been clarified by the manufacturer yet? What a super looking phone

Does anyone know if the Xiaomi Mi Mix can be used in Europe? Has it been clarified by the manufacturer yet? What a super looking phone

For an expensive device, it doesn't have band 20 for 4G and no sdcard!

Also this video would put you off buying it: -

There is also rumors of 5.5 inch version to be made available as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement