Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Watch out for the crappy camera and instant shattering if dropped, seems like its looks are about all it has going for it, which is okay for a concept but not something Id use on a daily basis. Most phones will probably look like that in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Thargor wrote: »
    Watch out for the crappy camera and instant shattering if dropped, seems like its looks are about all it has going for it, which is okay for a concept but not something Id use on a daily basis. Most phones will probably look like that in a couple of years.

Then we are doomed if going by your description all phones are going to look like that and instantly shatter if dropped!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

irishchris wrote: »
    Then we are doomed if going by your description all phones are going to look like that and instantly shatter if dropped!

They'll all have sapphire screens by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

on the crappy camera thing, I have to say that I am not impressed with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 camera at all. Video is really bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I am looking for a phone and have a budget of around 200-250 euro.

I have already purchased 2 Redmi Pros 5' 3GB for family members and i must say they are impressive so i am leaning towards buying another from the Top One Ali Express store although one of the phones will only connect to 2g only for some reason.

There is such a selection these days that it is hard to choose - does anyone have any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Deadanonymous5 you hardly want to unembed those images? They're quite tall on mobile :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Kamili wrote: »
    on the crappy camera thing, I have to say that I am not impressed with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 camera at all. Video is really bad too.

Is that the dual camera set up? That's quite disappointing :(

The above site is full of ads, reviews and directions on how to hard reset a phone. Quite useful to tell us to back up data before forgetting the password to it

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

Recently delevered : PPTV King 7 Helio X10 Octa-core.
    I'm curious about the sensors on board and while I do understand Light and Acceleration Sensor, what exactly do each of these other sensors do?

Sensor: Acceleration Sensor, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor, Gyroscope Sensor, IR Sensor, E-compass, Hall sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Short, simplified answers:
    Gravity Sensor- in mobiles they help to rotate the screen
    Proximity Sensor- to feel how far is your ear from the screen-> disables the screen, so you wont switch off your phone if you touch it with your cheek or ear
    Gyroscope Sensor-motion sensor
    IR Sensor-Infrared sensor- similar to proximity sensor
    E-compass- compass based on the combination of acceleromater and magnetometer, in mobile gaming plays more role nowadays
    Hall sensor- energy converter, example is when your antenna receives a radio signal by waves, but you just listen the music, a sensor changes one kind of signal into an other

If you are really interested in here is a link.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=sensors

• Advertisement

sderref wrote: »
    Short, simplified answers:
    Gravity Sensor- in mobiles they help to rotate the screen
    Proximity Sensor- to feel how far is your ear from the screen-> disables the screen, so you wont switch off your phone if you touch it with your cheek or ear
    Gyroscope Sensor-motion sensor
    IR Sensor-Infrared sensor- similar to proximity sensor
    E-compass- compass based on the combination of acceleromater and magnetometer, in mobile gaming plays more role nowadays
    Hall sensor- energy converter, example is when your antenna receives a radio signal by waves, but you just listen the music, a sensor changes one kind of signal into an other

If you are really interested in here is a link.
    http://www.gsmarena.com/glossary.php3?term=sensors

Good detail there. Re the E-compass, does this mean I can pull down a "Compass App" and will it work off line, as in no mobile data / wi fi?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭pcasso

Anybody able to offer an opinion on which supplier would be the most reliable and trust wothy and not supply a phone with a vendor rom.
    honourbuy or top one aliexpress

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Just ask for a sealed unit.

I would sooner not have to put in google play and all the other stuff myself as I ain't that teckie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

pcasso wrote: »
    I would sooner not have to put in google play and all the other stuff myself as I ain't that teckie

The price you pay for not having to do that yourself is a vendor ROM.

fixxxer wrote: »

Basically.

You either don't get google play or you get a vendor ROM.

It's a super simple task to install GApps though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

Anybody able to offer an opinion on which supplier would be the most reliable and trust wothy and not supply a phone with a vendor rom.
    honourbuy or top one aliexpress
    fixxxer wrote: »

If your going with "Top One" they are more reliable and don't use vendor roms. Also allowing them to do QC, will reduce the chance of getting a faulty device.

There good for communication and you could request they put official global rom on the device. My RN3 Pro came with an official rom, even without me requesting it.

If your going for sealed box. Get Google Installer from here.

Cheers for the replies lads.
    So what are the chances do you think, if I asked Top one to leave the official global rom alone but simply install google play, that they would comply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Got to play with this a little today really nice to touch for me little bit big bit will get use to it... AFAIK its the redmi noye 3 pro prime (Kate) model like I ordered... Really happy with it so far... Box was sealed and when I opened it updated to miui global 8.0 | stable then...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Max 2 is pretty nice. Speaker could be better and I need to retrain the fingerprint reader but other than that all great. Its amazing the difference between 5.5 and 5.7" makes to youtube (both 1440p).

Clever feature is the pin/pattern entry panel slides to one side depending on which hand you're using.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Max 2 is pretty nice. Speaker could be better and I need to retrain the fingerprint reader but other than that all great. Its amazing the difference between 5.5 and 5.7" makes to youtube (both 1440p).

Clever feature is the pin/pattern entry panel slides to one side depending on which hand you're using.

I think that's a Lollipop feature, one handed mode

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Cheers for the replies lads.
    So what are the chances do you think, if I asked Top one to leave the official global rom alone but simply install google play, that they would comply?

no they wont do that.

You can install it in 2 minutes yourself.

RossieMan wrote: »
    no they wont do that.

You can install it in 2 minutes yourself.

Do you need TWRP to install it?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

mrtom wrote: »
    Good detail there. Re the E-compass, does this mean I can pull down a "Compass App" and will it work off line, as in no mobile data / wi fi?

Hi,
    Simply:the compass in smartphones should work offline as they have a built in magnetometer. But to utilize the magnetometer they need an app.
    If it is not working either the phone doesn't have a sensor/ has it but doesn't work/ the app is not working properly/too close for something to interfere/needs calibration. Its worth to check the phone specification about the build in compass.
    (Having said that if the phone doesn't have a magnetometer, GPS connection could be the solution. You can sent your map on your phone beforehand and with the GPS signal you will be able to compare your position on the map and your real position by checking the surroundings.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Hi,

(Having said that if the phone doesn't have a magnetometer, GPS connection could be the solution. You can sent your map on your phone beforehand and with the GPS signal you will be able to compare your position on the map and your real position by checking the surroundings.)

If your phone has a mediatek chip, check the GPS accuracy before you get lost though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Qualcomms iZat GNSS is brilliant, if you care about GPS you'd be nuts to buy a mediatek.

Hi,
    Simply:the compass in smartphones should work offline as they have a built in magnetometer. But to utilize the magnetometer they need an app.
    If it is not working either the phone doesn't have a sensor/ has it but doesn't work/ the app is not working properly/too close for something to interfere/needs calibration. Its worth to check the phone specification about the build in compass.

This is the phone:
    http://www.tinydeal.com/pptv-king-7-helio-x10-octa-core-60-2k-android-51-4g-phone-3gb-ram-p-162313.html
    PPTV King 7 Helio X10 Octa-core 6.0" 2K Android 5.1 4G Phone 13MP CAM 3GB RAM32GB ROM 3610mAh Gorilla Glass 3 HiFi

On board sensors:
    Acceleration Sensor, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor, Gyroscope Sensor, IR Sensor, E-compass, Hall sensor.
    There is no compass with the phone, so am interested in an off line compass app (should I inadvertently end up on top of a mountain some day)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

mrtom wrote: »
    This is the phone:
    http://www.tinydeal.com/pptv-king-7-helio-x10-octa-core-60-2k-android-51-4g-phone-3gb-ram-p-162313.html
    PPTV King 7 Helio X10 Octa-core 6.0" 2K Android 5.1 4G Phone 13MP CAM 3GB RAM32GB ROM 3610mAh Gorilla Glass 3 HiFi

On board sensors:
    Acceleration Sensor, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor, Gyroscope Sensor, IR Sensor, E-compass, Hall sensor.
    There is no compass with the phone, so am interested in an off line compass app (should I inadvertently end up on top of a mountain some day)

Not sure how the GPS is on this one, but with other Media tek phones, you may show as being at the bottom of the mountain, (or maybe on a nearby mountain!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Got the mi5 yesterday I ordered for the wife for Xmas. Stunning phone and am very jealous of it. Got it from top one and got them to put the Miui8 global Rom on it. Was setting it up last night and saw Ireland isn't listed in the location setting, UK either. Vaguely remember reading something here about it but can't find it. Is there a fix for this or does it not really hamper the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭wiz569

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Got the mi5 yesterday I ordered for the wife for Xmas. Stunning phone and am very jealous of it. Got it from top one and got them to put the Miui8 global Rom on it. Was setting it up last night and saw Ireland isn't listed in the location setting, UK either. Vaguely remember reading something here about it but can't find it. Is there a fix for this or does it not really hamper the phone.

Just pick the nearest European option,it won't have any negative effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement